PDA

View Full Version : Handsome Men and Beautiful Women Have Higher IQs

Vercingetorix
01-17-2011, 14:26
Are you a hot chick? Are you some buff studly hunk? If so, your IQ is 14 points higher, on average, than the rest. Paris H-i-l-t-o-n is smarter than you.

Attractive people have higher IQs: Beauty and brains DO go together! (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1347651/Attractive-people-higher-IQs-Beauty-brains-DO-together.html)

//the filter doesn't like Paris' last name

Straegen
01-17-2011, 15:04
Do not agree with the study or the conclusions. What would be more telling is the occurrence of the attractiveness in the brightest and intelligence in the most beautiful. I would argue true intelligence is often a product of environment with a basis in genetics and beautiful people tend to have less need to expand their minds.

Noob
01-17-2011, 15:17
Do not agree with the study or the conclusions. What would be more telling is the occurrence of the attractiveness in the brightest and intelligence in the most beautiful. I would argue true intelligence is often a product of environment with a basis in genetics and beautiful people tend to have less need to expand their minds.

I agree and Paris is not attractive.

Aquatrax
01-17-2011, 15:29
Well, that explains the OP.....

Vercingetorix
01-17-2011, 15:33
Well, that explains the OP.....

Hey! Watch it.

Aquatrax
01-17-2011, 15:34
I'm sure I meant it the other way

Splitlip
01-17-2011, 16:00
Agree to some extent.

But "good looks" often opens doors that otherwise might not be opened. Thus increasing potential for learning and experience.

divingmedic
01-17-2011, 16:00
Intelligence is not every thing. When I was 17 I worked at burger joint. We had guy washing dishes that had a PHD in molecular biology. he could tell us the molecular compounds of everything in ice cream, but we could not teach him how to make a shake. He had little to no common sense.

dawnvip
01-17-2011, 16:01
Maybe they mean smart is sexy?

Splitlip
01-17-2011, 16:01
Intelligence is not every thing. When I was 17 I worked at burger joint. We had guy washing dishes that had a PHD in molecular biology. he could tell us the molecular compounds of everything in ice cream, but we could not teach him how to make a shake. He had little to no common sense.

But what did he look like?

A BP or a dork?

divingmedic
01-17-2011, 16:04
But what did he look like?

A BP or a dork?

Total Dork. He even wore a pocket protector when he was washing dishes. He did make some good change on the side as a math and biology tutor to all the high school students that worked there.

Straegen
01-17-2011, 17:10
Agree to some extent.

But "good looks" often opens doors that otherwise might not be opened. Thus increasing potential for learning and experience.I think that exact reason is why they don't need to use as much brain matter to get ahead. If you aren't "pretty", to succeed you often have to out-work and out-think prettier people. I think that extra struggle is what helps people become more intelligent.

Intelligence is not every thing. When I was 17 I worked at burger joint. We had guy washing dishes that had a PHD in molecular biology. he could tell us the molecular compounds of everything in ice cream, but we could not teach him how to make a shake. He had little to no common sense.This is another good point. There are certainly different kinds of intelligence.

Great scientists... hot or not? Barons of industry who created their wealth... hot or not? People in sales and politics... smart or not?

Lulubelle
01-17-2011, 18:34
This is a really silly study, and an even sillier article.

For starters, who defines what is attractive? I am quite sure that the range of what people find attractive is endless. Just spend some time on a bench watching couples walk by.

And to pull out a couple of supermodels and use them as proof sources is idiotic. I'm sure that we could all name a few people we find ugly who are brilliant.

Personally, I find intelligence combined with a few other qualities to make someone, who might otherwise not be, attractive.

I guess the good news is that if the study is right, I'm better looking than I thought.:smiley2: