PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Slowly Getting Out of DVD Business

Vercingetorix
01-19-2011, 06:37
Netflix is trying to convert its business model to instant access, streaming-only. In their latest step, you can lo longer add to your DVD queue from your iPhone, etc. It is a small step, but it is a step. As I understand it, their long-term goal is to be rid of DVDs altogether.

Doesn't effect me, as I'm a BlockBuster by mail subscriber. But, who knows? Blockbuster may go the same way, given that they're shutting down store fronts left and right. Rumors of Blockbuster's demise are rampant. A friend of mine was an executive at Blockbuster corporate HQ for many years, and she bailed because of what she saw going on within the company.

Netflix Enrages Subscribers By Limiting DVD Queue | paidContent (http://paidcontent.org/article/419-netflix-enrages-subscribers-by-limiting-dvd-queue/#)

Straegen
01-19-2011, 07:57
Over 20% of the internet traffic can be attributed to them and they are already planning on obsoleting basic cable services. They are the next Steam, iTunes, etc of programming. IMO they will cast the DVD business as a secondary or tertiary division as quickly as possible.

fire diver
01-19-2011, 11:17
It's amazing the the HD - Blueray format was just settled in the industry and it's already going to the wayside. When I bought my family the blueray player with built in netflix, it was something special. Now its just normal. Once all the major renters go digital only, it will leave just the mom&pop rental stores, and they will die out slowly.

reefrunner
01-19-2011, 21:39
Hmmmm, i got lost when casets went awaylolllll whenever that was . dammmmm i better find my cave wewwww this is gettn scareyyyy

comet24
01-19-2011, 22:28
I have Netflix. I have three dvd's at home and they have been here for a few months. I just been streaming most things. Sure new releases can't be streamed as easy but it is the way things are going. I'm watching some old tv programs right now streaming through netflix.

divingmedic
01-20-2011, 09:24
At what cost? I can buy a movie on Blu Ray for anywhere between 20 and 30 bucks. I can watch it for years. When I stream a movie once for what 3-5 bucks? Does not seem very cost effective to me.

tacofranklin
01-20-2011, 10:25
wonder if they are going to put more than crap movies on watch it now...seems like all the movies I look at on there are all B movies, like Ultrachrist, Zebraman, Cheerleaders from Space. Dont get me wrong, there are some awesome movies and TV series, but last time i checked...their selection was not that awesome....but its been about 6 months.

Noob
01-20-2011, 10:40
yeah I can stream from my x box for netflix. I believe in the future cable/dish will also only be streamed.

divingmedic
01-20-2011, 12:46
yeah I can stream from my x box for netflix. I believe in the future cable/dish will also only be streamed.
If that is the future then they are gonna have to do something to expand the bandwidth. Streaming is a bandwidth hog.

John Yaskowich
01-21-2011, 10:19
If that is the future then they are gonna have to do something to expand the bandwidth. Streaming is a bandwidth hog.
They will just compress the h*ll out of the signal until the viewer gets all the detail resolution of a 1950's black and white picture (seen through a dirty window)

clara
01-22-2011, 23:11
I think you will see that this time next year most of your movies will be only available by streaming. I use to deal a bit with "film movies". they have actually gone to streaming most of their movies as well. If that isn't an option you can still get a DVD but it costs a lot more. As for the technology to get it to your computer, no clue on that one.