PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ok to pull on your hose?

WaScubaDude
09-14-2007, 00:41
I was diving at the DUI Dog Days event last month and a DM told me I should not pull on the big hose to deflate my Ranger BC. He said that pulling on it can pull the hose off the fitting. He said it is better to hold the hose up and push the button.
I would think there would be a cord or cable inside the big hose, No? Anyone know the answer? Anyone ever pull the hose off?

ScubaToys Larry
09-14-2007, 01:12
There is a stainless cable running inside the hose. Pull on the inflator end - not the hose itself because then all the pull is on the internal cable.

ScottZeagle
09-14-2007, 07:49
Maybe your DM had never seen a remote shoulder dump??

And like Larry said - pull the inflator, not the hose.

:)

Capt Hook
09-14-2007, 07:53
Unless there is a problem with the Ranger there is no reason not to pull on the inflator. There is a cable in side the hose.

WaScubaDude
09-14-2007, 11:56
Thank you, thank you very much.

russp
09-17-2007, 08:43
Does this also apply if you've replaced the inflator with an Octo/inflator? It seems my Zeagle OctoInflator is connected to the Riptide BC hose by only a couple of zip ties, no cable.

ScubaToys Larry
09-17-2007, 08:59
Does this also apply if you've replaced the inflator with an Octo/inflator? It seems my Zeagle OctoInflator is connected to the Riptide BC hose by only a couple of zip ties, no cable.

The cable runs inside. Yes, the octo inflators have them too. If you lay out your bc with a bit of air in it, and gently give a pull on the end, you should feel it kinda' stop, then feel the valve at the shoulder open up with a little "swoosh" of air escaping.

wxboy911
09-17-2007, 09:14
I have a cable inside the hose on my BC but I still try and use the button just to be on the safe side-I have seen divers pull on the hose like it was an emergency-once even a two handed yank. I thought the plastic valve that screws into the BC was going to snap right off. Better safe than sorry.

underwaterdan
09-17-2007, 09:16
You can flame me, but by the title on this topic I thought it should have been in the mens area of the forum.... okay now my head is out of the gutter, it is actually a great question. I too didn't know about the steal cable. I was told if you used the button it was more prone to having water enter into the BC... not sure how true it is...

ScubaToys Larry
09-17-2007, 09:18
I was told if you used the button it was more prone to having water enter into the BC... not sure how true it is...

Not very... Water will only get in if air is not coming out. I've seen people swimming along and holding the button with no air coming out... yes, then water is getting in - but that would be the same with the pull dump. Just dump so air, then let go of either method you are using.

CrzyJay456
09-17-2007, 13:47
is that available as an add on to any bc?

ScubaToys Larry
09-17-2007, 13:50
is that available as an add on to any bc?

The pull dump?? Or the octo inflator??

And yes and no. It depends on the make and model. Most all come with them these days, but if they don't, as long as it is a standard thread, you could pull one of another BC and attach it.

We'd have to know which model to be sure.

jo8243
09-19-2007, 14:51
"It is ok to pull on my hose?"

LOLOL!

ertechsg
09-19-2007, 15:06

LOLOL!
Yes but you'll go blind:smiley36:

underwaterdan
09-19-2007, 16:25

LOLOL!

I am glad someone finally got my joke about moving this into the mens forum!!! :smiley32:

jo8243
09-19-2007, 16:51

LOLOL!

I am glad someone finally got my joke about moving this into the mens forum!!! :smiley32:

Do you have hairy palms?:smilie39:

underwaterdan
09-19-2007, 16:53

LOLOL!

Do you have hairy palms?:smilie39:

Darn I looked :smiley36:

crpntr133
09-19-2007, 21:20
I was told if you used the button it was more prone to having water enter into the BC... not sure how true it is...

Not very... Water will only get in if air is not coming out. I've seen people swimming along and holding the button with no air coming out... yes, then water is getting in - but that would be the same with the pull dump. Just dump so air, then let go of either method you are using.

If there is no air coming out then there isn't water coming in. Don't believe me take an empty zip lock bag down zipped. At what ever depth you want, unzip it and then zip it closed. The water pressure "forces" the bag flat so there is no water in it. There might be a little bit but very little. We also tried this with a BC, empty bc equals no water.
I have noticed a bit of a difference with using a pull dump rather than the one at the end of the inflater. And before someone comes along and says that the cable inside the hose is going to cut the hose. It is coated, or at least my Zeagle is.

clancey
09-22-2007, 12:15
I have some "experience" with this issue. Instead of pressing the buttons I puilled the hose on a rental BC as recommended by the shop which rented me the equipment. The hose tore lose and my BC vented all its air. I was at the deepest part of the dive, but I was also diving right at the bottom. I was able to continue for a while, swmming a little harder and breathing deeper to control buoyancy. But, ultimately, I had to let my dive partner know I had a problem and we needed to abort the dive. Swimming under water or on the surface with a BC full of water instead of air is no mean task! I only use the buttons now. At the end of the dive I hold the button down, pour in frech water, and swish around. Repeast until the water coming out does not taste salty. Then blow some air into the BC and store.

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 16:27
Don't pull the hose but rather the inflator at the end.

diverdad
09-23-2007, 20:08
Thanks for the info Larry but i'm not going to be pulling on my hose:smiley36: unless i dive solo:smilie39:...

jwdizney
09-23-2007, 20:16
Thanks for the info Larry but i'm not going to be pulling on my hose:smiley36: unless i dive solo:smilie39:...

hard to do with neoprene on!:smilie39::smilie39:... oh wait, you mean 'inflator' hose...