PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "dry" dry suit?

WaScubaDude
09-14-2007, 01:02
Is coming out of the water "bone dry" still as likely as sighting bigfoot?
Many years ago I dove in two dry suits, one a Poseiden neoprene and the other a Viking vulcanized rubber. Both worked fine but neither was really dry.
At the DUI Dog Days I tried out a trilam with boots and one foot ended up wet. So...Anyone really dry? No lie, really dry?? What are you diving? Any tricks to staying dry?

Thanks!

ChrisA
09-14-2007, 01:26
Is coming out of the water "bone dry" still as likely as sighting bigfoot?

The suit always gets wet due to condensation. I've flooded my suit a few times with many gallons of water, enough that the added weight made getting out of the water hard. Had to lay down and open a seal before I could stand up. But most dives are dry enough that the water has not soaked into the undergarment, just surface moisture on the polyester pile. (customized Bare HD Tech drysuit.)

Hollywood703
09-14-2007, 06:42
I have never had water in my suit during a dive caused by the suit itself....but sweat is a whole nother issue.....On hot days i have been known to flood my neck a bit, but thats the only time i have had a wet drysuit.

mm_dm
09-14-2007, 07:40
I get condensation inside mine as well, usually from hoofing it down to the water with all that crap & weight on. You can also get a little leak around your neck if you turn your head too far to the side. Sometimes the valves can leak if they're not tight. Drysuits can be a high-maintenence PIA at times, but I'll take it over having that rush of cold water hit me where the good lord split me any day.

Theepdinker
09-14-2007, 10:19
I've been diving a Bare NexGen for a couple of years.
I've gotten a spoonful of water through the vent valve if I didn't close it at least 3 clicks.
Deep tendons on my left wrist will allow water to seep in sometimes,
although usually no more than a dribble, a 1/2 cup has been the most so far.
Condensation from sweating is a given.
No leaks at my neck so far.

Comparing to some friends & stories I've heard, I consider my suit to be doing it's job quite well.

Theep

CompuDude
09-14-2007, 10:30
My DUI CLX450 suit does not leak at all. Never a drop.

However, seals are tricky beasts. I have only had leakage at the neck once to twice in a pool, where some very unusual contortions pulled the seal enough to get a little (not a lot) of water in through the neck.

I have fairly slender wrists, however, so tendons are a real issue... I used to live with arms that would often get varying amounts of damp.

For me, the biggest solution was dry gloves. Since I moved to dry gloves, my suit has bone dry inside.

Except for condensation from sweat. And unfortunately, I sweat quite a bit. So at this point, there is ZERO water entering the suit from the outside. No problems there. The water I bring into the suit with me, on the other hand... nothing that can be done about that, other than to wear good wicking undergarments to minimize the impact.

ScaredSilly
09-14-2007, 15:00
If I move my head to the extrema or my wrists in certain ways I can get some water coming in. Not much. Otherwise it is typically sweat water.

Ajuva
09-14-2007, 15:54
I think other than condensation or sweat I have been really lucky with my present suit.

I have an old Oceanic Flex with a commercial triple wicking undersuit and have not had a leak.

My old Gates flooded "serioulsy" on 5 occasions, but in the main it was due to user errors rather than equipment issues.

I think a lot of floods are induced and some are due to physical issues related to wrist and neck seal extensions.

I was taught to use electrical tape to assist seals and since then have not had a serious problem.

Some old F$rt divers are worth their weight in Nitrox.

tc_rain
09-14-2007, 18:43
Just sweat in mine unless I hit the vent valve when there is no air to vent. Then i just get a small wet spot around the valve.

BusDiver
09-16-2007, 21:12
condensation and sweat are about it. Sorry you have not had good luck diving dry. My wife and I put our suits through the ringer this weekend in Tobermory and we were dry on every dive. It was great. I dive a DUI 50/50

brandon
09-16-2007, 21:28
I'm yet to have a problem with my Bare suit (knock on wood).

I check my seals religiously before getting in the water (always do them the same way), and I make sure to rinse / hang my suit up after every dive.

Lil wax on the zipper and talc on the seals occasionally.

-B.

Kingpatzer
09-17-2007, 10:06
condensation and sweat here too . . .

If you're getting more than a few drops in a suit, you probably don't have tight enough or wide enough seals . . or you've got some small leaks that need patched . . . and those can be near impossible to find . ..

cummings66
09-21-2007, 22:57
I'll chime in and say that I'm dry in my Vikings, well except for sweat and condensation as others have said. There is truly not a drysuit that's as dry as if you were in an AC car or house. You're going to sweat and that's going to be somewhat damp, no way around it. Even in the dead of Winter with outside temps near 0F you'll still sweat a bit, but you'll find for the most part you'll be dry. Very little chance for it to build up.

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 00:17
Bare Trilam..stay dry unless I don't get the wrist seal right.

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 17:06
Yep, love my Bare Trilam as well. Dry as can be expected.

cummings66
09-24-2007, 21:19
Bare Trilam..stay dry unless I don't get the wrist seal right.

You mean to tell me you don't sweat? I have during the Summer sweated enough to get the suit so wet you'd think it was a leak. 100 degree's will do that you know.

ScubaJW
09-25-2007, 00:18
I have DUI drysuit and I was never completely dry in my drysuit. I have 400g Mobby's undies that will keep me toasty even when wet. I will almost never realized that I was wet because my undies is that good! :)

reefugee
09-28-2007, 09:44
I have a DUI drysuit, and it keeps me dry except for the sweat and condensation. It works great for me.

Charles R
09-28-2007, 09:52
My Bare dose not leak but there is condensation from sweat in the suit after diving if its hot when I am donning the suit or I am working like a long Surface swim or current but no actual leaks

BusDiver
09-28-2007, 21:11
I have DUI drysuit and I was never completely dry in my drysuit. I have 400g Mobby's undies that will keep me toasty even when wet. I will almost never realized that I was wet because my undies is that good! :)

Why are you not dry? Where are the leaks? I am interested and do not want to sound like I am flaming you. Please elaborate.

LCF
09-29-2007, 10:45
I have two dry suits, different materials and manufacturers, and I almost never have a dive with no leak at all. I've had leaks through dump valves, and pinhole suit leaks, and leaky seals, and seam leaks, and right now, both boots on my trilam suit have some kind of microscopic leaks I can't find that result in wet feet by the end of every dive.

It's bad enough that my trilaminate suit is the one I call my "dampsuit".

My mentor told me once, "All dry suits become wetsuits, and then you get them fixed." Dive enough, and your suit will leak somewhere.

Hex92
10-02-2007, 12:24
Both of my suits are dry. My Nex-Gen used to leak around the wrist seals - till I swapped them out for smaller seals. Then it started to leak a bit around the neck and I replaced the neck seal. Then it didn't leak at all. Bone dry except for sweat.

My Bare XCD2 Tech is perfectly dry. I only have 4 dives on it so far....It's a nice suit.

cummings66
10-02-2007, 17:58
Why are you not dry? Where are the leaks? I am interested and do not want to sound like I am flaming you. Please elaborate.

I'll tell you where his suit leaks. It leaks at the seams. Most drysuits that leak will do so where it was patched, IE the suits that are sewn are essentially filled with thousands of holes and then patched so they don't leak. That glue will eventually let go and the seam tape isn't enough by itself to prevent a leak.

Not to mention names but suits like that will leak over time.

Allistoy
10-21-2007, 11:30
I have a Bare 2 mil crusher suit and have never had a problem with any leaks now sweat is a different animal

jerdr1
01-14-2008, 09:57
What do you do with the electrical tape??

jerdr1
01-14-2008, 09:58
I am looking into a trilaim suit. Anyone have any opions on these. I own a vulcanized and 2 neoprene drysuits now.

team2tank
01-14-2008, 10:43
i use a poseidon jetsuit, great suit, have had slight seepage in the wrists once and a while,,otherwise you stay dry

cummings66
01-14-2008, 19:07
I think a trilam is a good suit material. If you're asking brands I'd say any of the big names would be fine. I like membrane suits because they dry pretty fast, of course the vulcanized suit will too, but it's easier to patch as well.

When you switch you'll find you need less weight because that rubber suit is heavy in comparison.