PDA

View Full Version : Just started DM

brojack17
01-21-2011, 11:02
I had my first class as a DM Candidate last night. I'm really excited to get this going. There is a lot to think about, especially the responsibility of diver supervision. I took the test on supervising certified divers and made 85%. This Sunday, we have a pool session where we will to the 800 M mask, snorkel, and fin swim and the 15 min tread water. We will also go over some of the diver skills.

Noob
01-21-2011, 11:17
Good luck. Have fun and be safe.

tc_rain
01-21-2011, 11:24
I remember taking mine several years ago and was not looking forward to the gear exchange. The gear exchange ended up being the best part. I did it with a friend and we kept cracking up underwarter. Each time we would laugh the mask would flood. It was so much fun I ended up doing it several more times with other D/M canidates to help them out. My best piece of advise is just try to have fun with it and don't sweat anything. You will do good and get through it.

TwistedSister209
01-21-2011, 15:28
Good luck and have fun, brojack!
I liked the equipment exchange too.

mzbdiver
01-21-2011, 15:58
Good luck!

scubagirlj
01-21-2011, 18:44
i did my written exam today also-am supervising 4 dives this weekend & am assisting with a class on monday-water skills are already completed-4 more classes to go....

Grizbear98
01-21-2011, 19:43
Good luck! Have fun with it, it really helps the hard parts go by!

tacofranklin
01-21-2011, 20:22
I am glad i am finished with the written tests, physics was not my friend. Did my first internship on a scuba review, had a lot of fun. Cant wait to do more, but classes are pretty spaced out here in northern virginia over the winter. I am going to Oklahoma for 2 months too, so that does not really help it. Good luck on your DMC long road, but fun....just realized... DMC...great car

comet24
01-21-2011, 20:22
Good luck and have fun. I really enjoyed earning my DM.

navyhmc
01-21-2011, 21:40
Sounds like fun. Good luck!

brojack17
01-23-2011, 19:42
Pool day today. Finished my 800m swim with mask, snorkel, & fins at 18:38. I was the first one in my class to complete, but my time was only good for 2 points. I could have gone faster, but didn't know the time as I was swimming. Next time, I'll take my watch. I think I'll try that one again to improve my time. The 15 minute tread water was no problem.

We did four tasks today. Mask removal and replace (4 pts), free flow breathing (5 pts), hover (5 pts), & fin pivot (3 pts). I didn't go up and down enough during the fin pivot to get 5 pts. I think I'll redo that one too.

I'm having a lot of fun.

I'm really competitive and don't like anyone getting a higher score than me. I'm trying not to let it show.

scubadiver888
01-24-2011, 17:24
Did you keep your hands out of the water for the tread water? Or did you just go for the 3 points? They didn't have you do all the stamina tests in one day? I had to do mine one right after the other.

It sounds like you are doing PADI, right? It has been almost a year since I did mine.

Ask them about DSD Leader as well. If you intern for 4 Discover Scuba Diving classes you qualify for a DSD Leader certification. This means you can conduct DSD, by yourself but only in confined water and maximum of 4 students. The shop I'm working at often has classes of 8 to 12 DSD students. They usually let me take 4 of them on my own. If I assist a DSD class I get nothing, if do a class as a DSD Leader I actually make a little money.

Oh and 5 DSD classes equals 1 certification. You need 25 certifications to start teaching specialties. I'm typically doing 8 to 12 DSDs a month right now. By the time I'm going for my OWSI I should have 20 to 25 certs from doing DSDs. This will let me add on Specialty Trainer to my OWSI.

brojack17
01-24-2011, 18:25
I am taking through PADI. I did keep my hands out for the last two minutes. We are doing our stamina tests over two pool sessions. I think I could have done all four in one day and made the 12 points, but he didn't ask me to.

I would like to teach DSD. Instructor is my ultimate goal, so this would be a good stepping point. Thanks for the info. I'll ask my instructor about it.

Tom H
02-27-2011, 12:13
Yeah, same "spaced out" problem here in Nova Scotia. Frustrating to be so close and not finished. Hopefully before summer.

cgvmer
02-27-2011, 20:45
Good luck

Soonerwink
02-27-2011, 21:55
Jack, it seems it wasn't that long ago we were at Tenkiller together, when you went to 100' for the first time. It is good to see you progressing so fast. I am curious, how many dives did you have when you started your DM class. Also are you taking the new DM course that just came out?

brojack17
02-27-2011, 23:23
I'm at 40 dives. I plan to get to 100 or so by the time I finish DM. It is the new book I am working from.

UCFKnightDiver
02-28-2011, 10:48
You have 40 dives and are doing your DM???

brojack17
02-28-2011, 10:57
Yes. That's the minimum to start DM. You have to have 60 to complete.

fire diver
02-28-2011, 11:37
Congrats on starting your DM training. I am considering starting mine.

Soonerwink
02-28-2011, 19:21
Yes. That's the minimum to start DM. You have to have 60 to complete.

When I did my DM, I was told you had to have 60 dives to start, AOW, and Rescue. You have accomplished a lot in your first year of diving. Next year you should be ready for instructor. In my first year I had only about 20 dives including my OW and AOW. Most of those were in Cozumel, I did my AOW there. But the Tulsa Aquanauts weren't around then and it was hard to find dive buddies around here.

brojack17
02-28-2011, 19:41
I credit the Aquanauts for getting me comfortable in the water. It would be a lot different if I had to do it all on my own without mentors. Diving at the aquarium really helped too.

I don't know if you heard but we bought a travel trailer. We should be at the lake a lot more this year.

Soonerwink
02-28-2011, 19:58
That will be nice while you are doing classes, DM's don't get paid and will save you the cost of hotel. I usually stay at C&J's bunkhouse if there is room or a fellow Aquanauts house when at Beaver. If at Tenkiller I just drive back and forth. Keep us updated on your progress. I know this time of year there are usually not that mayn classes going on.

UCFKnightDiver
02-28-2011, 21:42
Am I the only one who thinks 40 dives is way too few to be doing your dm? I mean as a divemaster, you're responsible for other divers, you're supposed to be a model diver, to lead dives and have the experience to mentor divers, at 40 dives you've barely started diving and often have yet to figure out alot of things.

Soonerwink
02-28-2011, 21:52
I personally didn't feel like I was ready to start my DM until I had about 120 dives and felt comfortable leading other divers. But I may be a slower learner than others. I think it all depends on your own abilities and mind since. Plus I figure his instructor will make sure that he will be able to handle the responsibility by the time he finishes his certification.

brojack17
02-28-2011, 22:32
I agree with Soonerwink. Plus, these are standards set by PADI. I have an average of 85% on mt tests and a 4 or 5 on my skills. I guided my wife from OW graduate to comfortable diver, so I have taken responsibility for divers. I get that you feel I don't have enough experience, but you don't know me. You haven't seen me dive. I may have a greater level of knowledge and comfort than others with 40 dives. I'm not saying I'm an expert diver but I did feel I was ready to take on DM.

scubagirlj
03-01-2011, 07:16
first off, don't think you should be able to be a DM with out ocean diving experience-have seen too many DMs that are quarry/hole in the ground taught become wimpering idiots after dropping down to a wreck & getting caught up in wicked current-THEY were the ones that needed tending to

Skred
03-01-2011, 08:33
first off, don't think you should be able to be a DM with out ocean diving experience-have seen too many DMs that are quarry/hole in the ground taught become wimpering idiots after dropping down to a wreck & getting caught up in wicked current-THEY were the ones that needed tending to

The same could be said for one who has only done ocean diving and then drops into a lake with 3 ft vis, trees and fishing line everywhere. Either way, being a DM means doing your homework so that you are aware of potential issues and know what to do to mitigate them.

navyhmc
03-01-2011, 18:39

The same could be said for one who has only done ocean diving and then drops into a lake with 3 ft vis, trees and fishing line everywhere. Either way, being a DM means doing your homework so that you are aware of potential issues and know what to do to mitigate them.

Agree with both of you. I would hope that the DM no matter where would be familiar with the site and the conditions that can occur. I had a new DM on a dive that was crap as he was not able to find the reef. He went the wrong way from where he was told and had never been to that reef, yet he was the guide. Heck, if I'd known he didn't know where he was going, I would have made the course correction.

brojack17
03-01-2011, 19:49
I think there's a difference between a DM for a boat/site and a DM diving on a boat/site. I'm landlocked and at best will only get a few salt water dives in a year. I'll probably get 50+ dives lake dives a year. I only have 40 freshwater dives in but can guide you around three separate sites from memory. If I'm on vacation and go diving there, I would at least get a DM for a guide at first. On a boat, the DM on the boat (good or bad) would be in charge. They would give the instruction. Only in an emergency would I need to step forward and be anything other than another diver.

I see DM similar to getting a driver license. At that point, you have had enough training to operate safely and are responsible for other drivers (both in your car and not). Getting your driver license does not mean you are done learning or improving skills.

Soonerwink
03-01-2011, 20:06
When I am diving on vacation, I don't even show my DM card. I am there to relax and take some photos. Doesn't mean I don't help out if it is needed, but don't want to be the one in charge. I even tip the DM's in charge.

navyhmc
03-01-2011, 21:52
When I am diving on vacation, I don't even show my DM card. I am there to relax and take some photos. Doesn't mean I don't help out if it is needed, but don't want to be the one in charge. I even tip the DM's in charge.

More than one DM has voiced that same sentiment Soonerwink. As one so eloquently put it: "I'm on vacation, I'm not there to work. If I show my DM card, the next thing you know, the DM is taking a siesta on the boot and I'm stuck carrying the dammed float"

bigman241
03-02-2011, 11:45
that would suck, our DM on our last dive did a solo with doubles, and was first off last on, the captin did the work and got my tip, at the shop the girl said something about the dm and how it was his day off, so tech he was not the dm so is that legal, I thought you had to have a captain and a dm
More than one DM has voiced that same sentiment Soonerwink. As one so eloquently put it: "I'm on vacation, I'm not there to work. If I show my DM card, the next thing you know, the DM is taking a siesta on the boot and I'm stuck carrying the dammed float"

UCFKnightDiver
03-02-2011, 12:43
that would suck, our DM on our last dive did a solo with doubles, and was first off last on, the captin did the work and got my tip, at the shop the girl said something about the dm and how it was his day off, so tech he was not the dm so is that legal, I thought you had to have a captain and a dm

I don't believe there's any laws governing the use of a DM on a boat, much less requiring the use of one.

Tom H
03-02-2011, 20:59
I believe the previous PADI starting requirement was 20. 60 to finish, no? As far as quarries vs. ocean, etc., the same could be said for cold water vs. warm. These points have been argued a lot. I agree with those who say it doesn't matter so much where you do most of your DMC-pre DMC dives, but matters much more that you eventually get much diving experience in the area you wish to be a working DM--before you work there.

Tom H
03-02-2011, 21:05
I believe PADI used to be 20 to start, 60 to finish, no? Quarries vs. ocean--cold water vs. warm--old arguements. I don't think it matters where you do your DMC--pre DMC dives. A DM could spend his/her whole life in one place. If you go to a different type of place then you should dive a whole lot there before working as a DM. Sorry double post--blame the mi fi....

cgvmer
03-09-2011, 17:38
I have thought about getting my DM/IDC not to really actively work as either, but merely to extend diving to the other group I spend so much time with, Scouts. A DM would allow me to introduce Scuba to scouts in discover scuba settings and for the certified scouts would allow me to run scuba based activities, since the BSA has the following requirement: "Recreational diving activities by BSA groups must be supervised by a responsible adult currently certified (renewed) as a divemaster, assistant instructor, or higher rating from a recognized agency."
My problem now is time, as a Scoutmaster I am already camping 1-2 weekends a month as well as meeting 1-2 nights a week adding a DM class on to my schedule will use all my free time.

Davetowz
03-09-2011, 18:35
I signed up tonight for my DM, Internships starting soon, can't wait

cgvmer
03-09-2011, 19:47
I signed up tonight for my DM, Internships starting soon, can't wait

Enjoy...

brojack17
03-09-2011, 20:03
I have thought about getting my DM/IDC not to really actively work as either, but merely to extend diving to the other group I spend so much time with, Scouts. A DM would allow me to introduce Scuba to scouts in discover scuba settings and for the certified scouts would allow me to run scuba based activities, since the BSA has the following requirement: "Recreational diving activities by BSA groups must be supervised by a responsible adult currently certified (renewed) as a divemaster, assistant instructor, or higher rating from a recognized agency."
My problem now is time, as a Scoutmaster I am already camping 1-2 weekends a month as well as meeting 1-2 nights a week adding a DM class on to my schedule will use all my free time.

That was my issue too. I run a state wide robotics program. Summer through the end of the year is a very busy time for me. Luckily, my instructor was willing to start the class at the first of the year.

brojack17
04-02-2011, 19:44
I made an 80% on my Physics exam. Not bad for that subject.

Davetowz
04-02-2011, 20:15
Passing score! I am doing my tests in early may.

TwistedSister209
04-02-2011, 20:18
Great, Brojack. Are you getting to take each section at a time?

brojack17
04-21-2011, 22:16
Yeah, we take them one at a time. I took my Physiology tonight and made a 95%.

Davetowz
04-22-2011, 06:49
Awesome! I can't wait to say the same

brojack17
05-13-2011, 20:04
All finished with the classwork. Still have some pool and lake work to complete.

Davetowz
05-14-2011, 07:37
Great. I have the physics test left than into the water for skills

mzbdiver
05-15-2011, 17:28
Nice work guys!

tacofranklin
05-15-2011, 19:06
Great work all! I just finished my first internship class this weekend. Was a lot of fun. Good luck on the physics test dave.

brojack17
06-06-2011, 10:26
Did a bunch of pool stuff yesterday. Finished my 400m swim. I have my 12 points. Also, I finished the gear exchange. It was difficult because we had to buddy breathe during the whole exchange. The mask was the most difficult to exchange. Something about not being able to see AND breathe was troubling.

UCFKnightDiver
06-06-2011, 10:38
How long do you have to do the 400m swim?

brojack17
06-06-2011, 10:57
400m swim
Under 6 min - 5 points
6 to 8 min - 4 points
8 to 10 min - 3 points
10 to 12 min - 2 points
more than 12 min - 1 point
(I got a 2)

15 min tread with hands out of water for last two minutes
Completed - 5 points
Completed but not hands out of water - 3 points
Used sides or bottom not more than twice - 1 point
(I got a 5)

800m Mask/Snorkel/Fin Swim
Under 13 min - 5 points
13 to 15 min - 4 points
15 to 17 min - 3 points
17 to 19 min - 2 points
More than 19 min - 1 point
(I got a 2)

100m Tired Diver Tow
Under 2 min - 5 points
2 to 3 min - 4 points
3 to 4 min - 3 points
4 to 5 min - 2 points
more than 5 min - 1 point
(I got a 3)

Soonerwink
06-06-2011, 16:43
It was difficult because we had to buddy breathe during the whole exchange. The mask was the most difficult to exchange. Something about not being able to see AND breathe was troubling.

You should have been practicing taking your mask off in the Aquarium. Take it off and regulator out of your mouth and pose for pictures. When I did my gear exchange I put on my buddies gear before entering the water and he put on mine. Made it alot easier putting on your own gear on the bottom of the pool.

fire diver
06-06-2011, 18:28
How long do you have to do the 400m swim?

I would guess....

400 meters!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

UCFKnightDiver
06-06-2011, 18:46
I didnt ask how long the 400m swim was, I asked how long you had to do it in...

Tom H
06-07-2011, 16:47
To score a 3 you have to be under 13 mins. You can find all the metric score times from PADI.com I believe. They're also listed on a SCUBABOARD post somewhere in the Going Pro sub forum.

brojack17
06-10-2011, 11:45
We did that. I wore his gear and he wore mine. I'm fine without a mask and without a reg, but the two together was not fun. Too bad I had to give up the aquarium dives. That would have been good practice.

Kirby
06-17-2011, 02:58
I just finished my dive master a few weeks ago and man I am glad to get the hard stuff done. I do know I have had the opportunity to dive with Brojack and his wife who both are very good divers. I have no doubt he will be good in his dive master duties when he steps up to them :)

To the candidates on here good luck and to those who have earned their DM congratulations!

Oh and just a note on the mask exchange I got lucky enough that I can hold my eyes open underwater and retrieve my original mask. I wear strong perscriptions and it would have probably knocked the socks off of my partner LOL

brojack17
06-17-2011, 09:37
Thanks for the kind words Kirby. Welcome to the forum.

Kirby
06-21-2011, 22:43
Thank you Brojack. How are things coming with your course by the way?

brojack17
06-22-2011, 07:35
Finished the pool stuff last weekend. I have the map, DM led course, and lake work to go.

Kirby
06-23-2011, 01:20
Awesome. I hope it all goes smooth for you.

tk trekers
07-13-2011, 09:35
Thanks for keeping this updated. I signed up for the DM program last October, did my rescue in November and had anticipated starting full bore into this in the spring but a back injury and surgery derailed that in March.

I just started in the pool this past weekend, first time with my dive gear on in 8 months and it was nice to be back in the water though I didn't really do much actual swimming, I was a bit sore for 3 days afterwards. It's amazing how difficult it is your first time around trying to do something you do frequently while diving with ease, but breaking it down to demonstration quality and SLOWING way down is a different animal.

I start the actual classroom stuff tonight (my wife is doing this at the same time too) and I'm really looking forward to it.

brojack17
07-13-2011, 09:47
Have fun with it. It's a blast.

cgvmer
12-01-2011, 14:26
Hey Brojack did you finish?