PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for white stains to appear on your mask after use?

|Scuba_Doo|
09-14-2007, 04:17
Strangely enough, white patches are appearing all over the black silicon sides of my mask when it dries after I've washed it thoroughly in freshwater. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Thanks a whole bunch for reading this.

Mike

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-14-2007, 07:19
I think that is probably just water stains. I don't know how bad the water in Singapore is or how much "purifiers" and flouride they put into it but I bet if you dry off your mask with a towel after rinsing it the white stains would go away.

mm_dm
09-14-2007, 07:43
We have so many minerals in the water here that it's almost impossible to clean without water softeners & purifiers. I usually end up wiping my mask down real good with a soft towel on the skirt and frame. I guess you could use some mask scrub if it's real bad.

|Scuba_Doo|
09-14-2007, 09:10
Oh so its better to wipe the mask dry rather than letting it air overnight? I'll definitely give it a try soon. Thanks guys!

mm_dm
09-14-2007, 09:32
I still let it sit out, I just lightly wipe frame & skirt. You know, the big droplets. I don't worry about the lenses, whatever spots seem to go away once the mask hits the water and I don't want to risk scratching them. I usually clean the leanses with a soft soap after every dive, then rinse the whole mask well, lightly towel and set it aside.

CompuDude
09-14-2007, 10:36
Yeah, sounds like hard water stains. Just wipe it dry rather than air dry if it bothers you. Otherwise, it'll go away all by itself next time you go diving. Won't hurt anything either way.

|Scuba_Doo|
09-14-2007, 21:19
Thanks for the precious tips guys :smiley20:

crpntr133
09-17-2007, 23:36
Vinegar might be an option if the stains just won't go away.