PDA

View Full Version : words to live by...

scubagirlj
01-24-2011, 09:26
know everyone has a favorite saying/words to live by-these are just 2 of mine:

"better to keep your mouth shut & be thought the fool than to open it & remove all doubt"know a couple posters here that should take that advice to heart

"no one ever gets mad at you for being early & it shows complete lack of respect for the other person when you are late"

Vercingetorix
01-24-2011, 09:33
People will forget what you said. People will forget what you do.
People will never forget how you made them feel

This is my signature line on my emails

bennerman
01-24-2011, 09:48
"better to keep your mouth shut & be thought the fool than to open it & remove all doubt"know a couple posters here that should take that advice to heart

Am I one of them? :P

bigman241
01-24-2011, 13:35
I doubt it, but I wonder if I made the top of her list.:smiley5:
Am I one of them? :P

bigman241
01-24-2011, 13:36
I think it is "better to ask a dumb question then do something dumb having not asked first" I think this rings true with diving alot.

TJDiver
01-24-2011, 13:41
This is a TJ original I live by..."A man not worth his word, is worth little else."

Straegen
01-25-2011, 10:15
This one was for another extreme sport but I recently heard it with a diving twist:

If at first you don't succeed, technical diving is not for you.

Heard this one this weekend:

If a shark attacks, hit it with your fist. If that doesn't work,club it with your stump.

A couple good ones for students:

You aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

bfmorgan
01-25-2011, 10:54
If it's not broke, fix it!

Vercingetorix
01-25-2011, 11:33

ST Forum Corollary: If it isn't broke, that means ScubaStud hasn't used it yet.

Gonnagettanked
01-25-2011, 11:39
Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. Then your life will be filled with joy.
good advice from a friend

emclean
01-25-2011, 11:55
smile, it will get worse

one i heard in jump school, "you have the rest of your life to get your reserve [parachute] to fuction"

FishFood
01-25-2011, 12:20
Whether you think you will or you think you wont, you're right. Success is mental...

tacofranklin
01-25-2011, 12:45
smile, it will get worse

one i heard in jump school, "you have the rest of your life to get your reserve [parachute] to fuction"

going to give a big "AIRBORNE" on that note.

"Real men dont use hand lotion!" -A US Army Major when asked if he had lotion.

Rileybri
01-25-2011, 12:59
I see....... Said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

A person who can only spell a word one way, lacks creativity. Twain

Nothing happens fast under water.

bigman241
01-25-2011, 13:46
I thought it was if you see a shark stab your buddy and or instructor and swim away. You do not have to out swim the shark but out swim your buddy and or instructor. Better they be bleeding when the swimming starts.

Our OW instructor told us when I asked about sharks. I said should I stab it in the eye if it comes after me. He said no stab your buddy and swim away. I said so do I stab YOU or my dad? They both pointed at each other
This one was for another extreme sport but I recently heard it with a diving twist:

If at first you don't succeed, technical diving is not for you.

Heard this one this weekend:

If a shark attacks, hit it with your fist. If that doesn't work,club it with your stump.

A couple good ones for students:

You aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

bigman241
01-25-2011, 13:52
words I lived by as a kid, I took the gears and such apart on my 10 speed, they never got back on in working order. My friend changed his oil at 16 and we ended up doing a plug job, wire change, and changed out all his fuses, after we pulled EVERY ONE OUT AT ONCE. It was a true shame the diagram was not in the car. His dad bought a 40.00 book to replace them.
Ohh I took my hardly working VCR apart at 14 resoldered the wire to the board, IT QUICKLY GOT FIRE WHEN I USED IT.

I have learned to use manuals, learn how to do something before doing it. And when in doubt HIGHER SOMEONE

Lulubelle
01-25-2011, 15:34
What is this, thread redux?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/surface-interval-34/whats-your-mantra-27265/

TJDiver
01-25-2011, 15:54
words I lived by as a kid, I took the gears and such apart on my 10 speed, they never got back on in working order. My friend changed his oil at 16 and we ended up doing a plug job, wire change, and changed out all his fuses, after we pulled EVERY ONE OUT AT ONCE. It was a true shame the diagram was not in the car. His dad bought a 40.00 book to replace them.
Ohh I took my hardly working VCR apart at 14 resoldered the wire to the board, IT QUICKLY GOT FIRE WHEN I USED IT.

I have learned to use manuals, learn how to do something before doing it. And when in doubt HIGHER SOMEONE

I had a buddy in high school that crawled up under his car to adjust the clutch one day. We don't know what the hell he did, but to the best of my knowledge, he was never able to get that car started again...oh...and, did I mention...it was running fine before he "adjusted the clutch". :smiley36:

SEMO Scuba
01-25-2011, 20:18
One of my old sayings.

If brains were gas he wouldn't have enough to run a pi$$ ants go cart around the inside of a Cheerio.

PhD4JC
01-27-2011, 11:52
I'm living life as an EXCLAMATION! not an explanation!

bfmorgan
01-27-2011, 12:01
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results-Albert Einstein

For every complex problem, there is a simple solution. And it is wrong-H.L. Mencken

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention- Tom Peters

bigman241
01-27-2011, 12:05
one I have not heard yet, is do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Words to live by. Or from one of my fav movies, van helsing, do unto others before they do unto you

tacofranklin
01-27-2011, 14:55
I see....... Said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

A person who can only spell a word one way, lacks creativity. Twain

Nothing happens fast under water.

"I see", said the blind man as he pee'd into the wind, "It's all coming back to me now"

TwistedSister209
01-27-2011, 16:54
When it ceases to be fun, it ceases to be.

Better to be pissed off than pissed on.

scubagirlj
01-27-2011, 18:42

one of my all time favs!

sometimes you're the dog, other times you're the tree

mm2002
01-27-2011, 19:08
I'm really glad I stopped in to read this thread. I've learned a lot! I had no idea there were so many philosophy majors here!

navyhmc
01-27-2011, 19:57

I have 3 rules in EMS (used to be EMS and Navy before I retired)

1. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
2. If you're not cheating, you're not trying. If you get caught, you didn't try hard enough.
3. In most cases, it's far easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...the trick is knowing when.

And finally, one of my favorites from my time in Iraq:

Be friendly and courteous to everyone you meet. But have a plan to kill them. -anonymous Marine.

bennerman
01-27-2011, 19:58
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results-Albert Einstein

For every complex problem, there is a simple solution. And it is wrong-H.L. Mencken

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention- Tom Peters

Guilty of all three

scubatrucker
01-27-2011, 23:45
Nothing good ever comes from a 2AM phone call

navyhmc
01-27-2011, 23:56

Au Contraire Mon Ami: "hello?" "Hi Uncle Navy! You're an Uncle again!!!! Crissy was born an hour ago: 7lbs, 6 oz, mom and baby are doing great!"

Vercingetorix
01-28-2011, 06:09
Au Contraire Mon Ami: "hello?" "Hi Uncle Navy! You're an Uncle again!!!! Crissy was born an hour ago: 7lbs, 6 oz, mom and baby are doing great!"

Congrats to Mom, Dad, and you!!! :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Corollary: Nothing good ever comes from a drunken, 2AM phone call to your ex.

//not that I have any personal experience. From what I've heard

emclean
01-28-2011, 06:55
2. If you're not cheating, you're not trying. If you get caught, you didn't try hard enough.
had a Drill Sargent who used this one often

tacofranklin
01-28-2011, 06:57
I heard this one the other day from Knight of the Museum 2, "We are Americans! We don't plan, we do".

Rileybri
01-28-2011, 12:32
measure once cut twice

TwistedSister209
01-28-2011, 19:24

Congrats, Navy!!!! Woo Hoo for all of you! Love the name.

davepoff
01-28-2011, 19:51

Especially if they ask if they woke you up!

navyhmc
01-28-2011, 21:56
I will say NOTHING and I mean NOTHING good comes from a 2 am knock at the door though!