PDA

View Full Version : Inflator hose securing

torrey
09-14-2007, 11:31
Not really a DIY yet, but something I've been wanting to do.

I never really liked the way the inflator hose tends to dangle a little in front when you are in a horizontal position. I know you need easy access to it, so it's not like you can tie it off onto your BC, but I've been trying to come up with a way that would hold it securely up against the BC but still be able to easily use it when needed. I tried using regular velcro - a piece on the hose and a piece on the BC, but that hasn't proven to be strong enough to hold. I've considered coming up with some kind of open clip that the hose could slide in and out of, and I also have a magnetic clip that I never use that I've considered but haven't played with it yet to see if it will work.

Has anybody ever tried to do anything like this, or can offer suggestions?

awap
09-14-2007, 11:43
My inflator LP hose loops thru a piece of bungee that limits its free travel but stretches enough to exhaust air from the BC.

gtjason2000
09-14-2007, 11:47
you could try a retractor

paintsnow
09-16-2007, 04:48
what kind of Velcro did you have?

because most jacket bcs rely on just velcro and nothing else to hold the waist portion shut.

and the hose shouldnt be exerting that much force being that its underwater.

Bill22
09-16-2007, 05:05
Maybe a loop of velcro holding it to your shoulder harness? Mine BCJ is designed that way, but it has a pull dump. I just give it a tug to dump air, don't have to hold the hose over my head.

jo8243
09-17-2007, 16:01
Does your BC not have a velcro tab to hold it down about 1/2-way up the hose? I wouldn't think you'd want anything on the end because you need to be able to lift the exhaust end up as high as possible to vent air.

danielh03
09-29-2007, 02:44
Not really a DIY yet, but something I've been wanting to do.

I never really liked the way the inflator hose tends to dangle a little in front when you are in a horizontal position. I know you need easy access to it, so it's not like you can tie it off onto your BC, but I've been trying to come up with a way that would hold it securely up against the BC but still be able to easily use it when needed. I tried using regular velcro - a piece on the hose and a piece on the BC, but that hasn't proven to be strong enough to hold. I've considered coming up with some kind of open clip that the hose could slide in and out of, and I also have a magnetic clip that I never use that I've considered but haven't played with it yet to see if it will work.

Has anybody ever tried to do anything like this, or can offer suggestions?

There is a high strength velcro you can get, but I dont know if I want to put that much pressure on my bc hose. I have it on my duty belt and it really sticks!

scubatexastony
09-29-2007, 12:08
Like AWAP, my inflator is bungeed to my shoulder harness, addtionally the LP hose is routed through bands of innertube on the inflator hose to keep it all in place, and easy to locate.

I use the inflator for just that.... inflating the b/c. Think about it, while moving in the water you are horizontal, and the air in the bladder will be at or near the rear deflator valve. Also, should you have a run-away accent, you can be better served kicking down while deflating at the rear/bottom dump. (while disconnecting the LP hose, if the valve is stuck open) Your fins are your friends.

Still, should for some reason I did want to elevate the inflator hose the bungee will stretch and roll up the harness to allow for rinsing the bladder and such.

~tony

torrey
10-03-2007, 14:40
Does your BC not have a velcro tab to hold it down about 1/2-way up the hose? I wouldn't think you'd want anything on the end because you need to be able to lift the exhaust end up as high as possible to vent air.

That's why I'm looking for something that will unlatch easily just by pulling. I have the velcro tab that holds down the hose 1/2 way down, but don't want to do that on the end because that's not something you want to deal with in an emergency.

What I've tried previously is velcro around the hose and a piece across the shoulder harness, but being that the hose is round and the harness is flat, there isn't enough contact to keep it held. One option would be to have a clip on the hose which lies flat against the harness. Another option I've been considering is magnets. I've got a couple of magnets out of a little desk toy that I'm going to try securing with fabric. I'll let you know how it goes.

ScaredSilly
10-03-2007, 14:52
The easy thing to do is to tie it off to your shoulder strap so that it is free to dangle a bit but not too much when horizontal. If you take some old bicycle tubes and cut then in to 3/4" sections you can rubber band the LP hose tightly to the inflator hose. Three will do the trick in most cases. Then the stiffness of the LP hose combined with the inflator will keep it for dangling too much.

10-25-2007, 21:17
I think a magnet on the hose and the bc would be cool but what about the COMPASS!!!

torrey
10-26-2007, 15:20
Compass? I'm talking about the large corrugated hose that is attached to the inflator, not the hose which goes to the pressure gauge & compass console. Is that what you mean?

By the way, the magnets are still sitting on my kitchen counter...I haven't had time yet to rig something up. I should just be able to wrap some fabric around the hose and the shoulder strap with a piece of magnet in each for testing. If there aren't any issues, then I'll eventually make it more presentable and take pictures.

edit: or perhaps you're talking about rigging something else up to keep the console from dangling? These magnets are pretty strong...perhaps a magnet on the back of the console and one on a strap around the upper leg, or on the lower part of the bc. Hmmm...

chace_nicole
10-26-2007, 15:35
Compass? I'm talking about the large corrugated hose that is attached to the inflator, not the hose which goes to the pressure gauge & compass console. Is that what you mean?

By the way, the magnets are still sitting on my kitchen counter...I haven't had time yet to rig something up. I should just be able to wrap some fabric around the hose and the shoulder strap with a piece of magnet in each for testing. If there aren't any issues, then I'll eventually make it more presentable and take pictures.

edit: or perhaps you're talking about rigging something else up to keep the console from dangling? These magnets are pretty strong...perhaps a magnet on the back of the console and one on a strap around the upper leg, or on the lower part of the bc. Hmmm...

Was dockdiver referring to what effects your magnets will have on the compass? pulling to your magnet instead of magnetic north

torrey
10-26-2007, 16:12
Ahh...didn't think of that. I wouldn't think it would be strong enough to affect the compass unless you hold it right up against your chest...I guess I'll have to test that out as well. However, I guess that does ruin the idea of securing the console with a magnet, hehe. I tend to just slip my console behind me over my left leg when diving.

DevilDiver
10-26-2007, 19:37
I have had the same issue. Being that I carry a camera setup I really like everything clipped off and nice and close to my body.

A lot of times I need to get into tight spaces and really hate it if something snags, drags or hits coral or anything else.:smiley13:

I dive a Brigade BC and the Velcro strap for the inflater hose on the shoulder strap is just high enough to let it dangle about 6-7" when horizontal. Well that's way to much......drives me nuts.:smiley29:

After considering straps, retractors, rubber bands I just started tucking it under the shoulder strap.:smiley32:

Works great. Easy access, stays put, didn't spend a penny on shiny scuba trinkets!!!:smiley2:

Tableleg
10-29-2007, 14:12
didn't spend a penny on shiny scuba trinkets!!!:smiley2: Well what fun is that?!? :smiley36:

rfreddo
10-29-2007, 15:27
I added one of these a few weeks ago and it works great!

BCOH2 , Accessories-Clips & Retractors, Cetecea, BCOH2 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCOH2)+

The vecro is strong enough to keep the inflator hose assebly plus my Octo-Z within about 4 inches of my chest when horizontal, and the velco makes it really easy to remove/attach quickly.

dludwig
10-29-2007, 17:01
My left hand is usually on my inflator. Since I use a 3 hose regulator, that is also my alternate air supply

DevilDiver
10-29-2007, 17:11
didn't spend a penny on shiny scuba trinkets!!!:smiley2: Well what fun is that?!? :smiley36:

Man... Your right. I will leave right now and pick up a few extra clips from ST. I can always sell them to the students at Clear Springs!!!:smiley20:

"I got O-Rings here for $1.00!!" :smilie39:

paulj13
10-29-2007, 19:45

Hi Torrey,

I get your idea with the magnets and have to agree that itís worth investigating. Having just purchased the Bridge myself I was thing of a number of ways to keep is close while horizontal but still easy to raise above the head when I need to dump or descend. The Velcro strap is a little bit cumbersome

I know the magnets your thinking of and would agree that they are strong enough to do the job of holding the hose. However they are still susceptible to shear (a pulling focus across the same plane were the two magnets are attached. Therefore to ensure success maybe try recessing one or two magnets on a different plane that the others, that way if the hose is pulled in any other direction than away from the shoulder strap it will remain fixed.