PDA

View Full Version : Florida Proposes to close 53 states parks - including Troy, Peacock and Madison

in_cavediver
01-30-2011, 15:51
FYI

Florida DEP Proposes to Close 53 State Parks | Audubon of Florida News (http://audubonoffloridanews.org/?p=6830)

Straegen
01-30-2011, 17:16
Shame but either taxes need to go up or the budgets need to be cut.

FishFood
01-30-2011, 17:59
Good grief. A state half built around tourism and its natural beauties can't simply close nearly a third of its states parks with out a hit in the pocket book via lost tourism. Save money it will not. Not to mention the loss of good paying jobs that will hit the economy.

Besides, taxes have been going up. State park fees at the ones I frequent have going up tremendously as of recent. Take St Andrews for example... It's $8/car now. Just over a decade ago it was free... Seems every year they go up bit by bit. An annual pass is now $120! That's sky rocketed in the past few years. Where is this money going and why all of a sudden do parks need to be closed when they are more expensive than ever to get into?

Really these budget issues represent a bigger problem in Florida. They started a lottery promising to help the schools. Then once the lottery money started flowing into the schools, the state cut the education budget! The lottery didn't help the schools, it just added another tax! Classic bait and switch SOLD to the Floridian people by those that are supposed to SERVE them. The big quesion is, where is the lottery money going and HOW ON EARTH did they balance the budget BEFORE the lottery? Typical, if you give it to them they will spend it bureaucrats.

Straegen
01-30-2011, 20:08
I don't think Florida state parks are where the tourism dollar is spent and probably won't be noticed aside from some locals. I love parks and Georgia has a lot of great ones, but ultimately stuff that we like has to go both on the State and Federal level. They could try to privatize some of the parks but that rarely works.

You are right that the government and bureaucracies usually will consume all available funds. No expansion without taxation is my motto. If they had to pay for a program before the put it in place, there certainly wouldn't be as much support for it. At the very least pay for the government out of the same bucket we pay into. Right now they have mom and dads credit card and there doesn't seem to be a limit.

TJDiver
01-31-2011, 08:13
It's that time of year again...gotta hit on public fears to get buy-in on raising taxes, deficit spending, whatever...up here, it's always education that gets threatened...down there, it's local tourism...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. My 15-year old behaves better and more responsibly than our so-called leaders.

UCFKnightDiver
01-31-2011, 11:48
I've been to 10 or so of those parks on that list, would be a shame to see them closed.

bigman241
02-05-2011, 11:44
they did this in indiana, 90% of primitive camp grounds within parks closed, some whole parks, heck I remember driving by the park and seeing the water front camp ground which was non electric but working restrooms grow over with weeds, the one on the other side of the highway that was real wooded and had a ramp and 80% water front sites, had the same growth, while the electric full hook up campground no where near the lake stayed open.