PDA

View Full Version : Strong reminder why I dive solo

Charon
02-01-2011, 10:37
I went to Bonaire for 2 weeks and decided to take a boat dive to Klein Bonaire to see what it was like off the small island. The dive instructions were "We're going to get into the water and head that way, up current, till we reach half pressure. Then we will turn around and return to the boat. Nothing about buddying up, what to do in an emergency situation, what depth to maintain - just, we swim out and swim back (not real happy with the dive operation).

OK - on the way a diver behind me saw something he wanted to photograph and swam right up my back kicking me in the back and head. I was bumped into at least 5 times by people who had no idea where they were, nor where I was. I actually got shoved twice. Some of these bozos were yoyoing from 50+ feet up to 20 and back down at ascent rates that were seriously scary.

I ran into the only other unpaired diver some days later and he asked me about my pony and commented on the complete ignorence and lack of necessary skill in the divers on the boat.

Let's see, 7 other divers, only one of which who had any place in the water, getting beat to crap by ignorant divers, people doing seriously dangerousl things with no idea of what to do if something went wrong. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

A buddy at home suggested that if they Effed up the first thing I should do is see if any of there gear was an upgrade, and go get it after they drowned. Funny but NOT. Anyway, I skipped the second dive from the boat. I went to Bonaire to escape aggrivation, not to embrace it.

So, I did 1 boat dive, I aborted 1 dive minutes in because I forgot my compass, and did 18 solo dives. I love diving solo - I absolutely hate diving with people who are clueless.

Vlane
02-01-2011, 11:20
I think you said it best, "I absolutely hate diving with people who are clueless." Vacation divers aren't typically known for their skill sets, throw a camera in their hand and chances are they have extreme tunnel vision. If I had the setup I would probably prefer diving solo on a vacation dive versus buddying up with someone who I didn't know but back home I prefer diving with a buddy.

scubastud
02-01-2011, 11:48
Yep, I see it as well, luckily my dive buddy is usually my kid, an instructor plus despite being of my loins he has a lot of common sense.:smiley20:
A good dive buddy doesn't do anything for ya when you are on a cattle boat. I will go on a dive boat but not if it is too full.

Straegen
02-01-2011, 13:56
Even with a buddy I am not so sure we aren't solo diving a lot of the time.

Defman
02-01-2011, 14:12
While I don't dive "solo" I do tend to dive without a buddy. Oh sure, I get instabuddies all of the time... I generally tell them they should stay close to the DM because I SUCK as a buddy!

On my last trip (CZM in spring 2010) I was with a small group diving Chankanaab Balloons... they were all clambering all over each other at coral head about 75 feet away to get a look at an eel... they kept waving at me to get my attention so I could come see it, I just waved back and continued to check out my own personal eel that I had in my own little coral head.

bigman241
02-06-2011, 23:01
Me and dad have come to make sure we know where each other area, on last weeks dive we made sure we could see each other and since he was in front of me alittle ways he turned around often to check, in fact one to many turn around got me ahead of him and on another group, it took me 30 seconds to realize the blue fins I was looking at where not his but someone else. I told him, we dive together, but we rely on ourselves, better being prepared for a issue with no buddy then be unprepared for it and no buddy. Seems with the increase in our confidence level and not making sure we were all but hold hands has in fact allowed us to stay with each other. On our early dives I had issues buoyancy up and down. This is a real issue, I worked on it and found my issues to be easy fixs, one do not over weight, more air in the bc means more air to change in volume with increases and decreases of pressure, 2 do not over or under inflate, if your sinking a buff or two should do, do not try and fill the wing tll your neutral, cause your going to pop out like a whale, 3rd bouyancy just ant sinking or floating.

When we hit the boat the two divers who I went off with said" sorry we did not realize you were diving with us", "we got worried when my wife noticed you and waved and 5 minutes later we could not see you" ohh ok I said" then he said " you should really have stayed with us for the rest of the dive, I spent 10 minutes looking for you on the bottom, OHH ok well i was with these two then split off with you for 30 seconds, OHH, you went with us the whole 40 minuts" I wonder had I been a instabuddy and went OOA when they would have noticed.

The woman then told me how they had alot of dives for having their cert for 2 years, I said how many, she said well 4 for OW, 5 for AOW, 4 in a lake, and 2 in the ocean(the 2 being our boat dives) she asked how many I had, I said well we did OW in march 5(extra day missed dive 4) 5 for AOW, 15 or so in a quarries, and 5 more in the ocean for a grand total of 30 dives in 10 months. He husband asked me when I did my wreck and deep certs, I said I had not, he asked why. I said I had not got around to it, he said ohh we are going to do both this next week so we can dive the spegial and vandenburg, :smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smiley5::smiley5:

PS their equipment would have been a down grade for me. I was going to have the talk you all did with me about how Ccards did not make you a better diver and how time and experience did, but I just highly recommended they check out www.forum.scubatoys.com and ScubaBoard - Online Scuba Diving Community - Equipment, Dive Travel, Training and More! (http://www.scubaboard.com), figured I would the more advance divers tell them.
The way I look at it I ant putting my life in another persons hands, this is why I will be slowly working my gear into a solo config, with redundancy and simplicity, better I reliy on my self and have help then need help and not have it.

Though I still have no need ot run into solo in the sense of it is me in the water by my self. Though I am surprised dad worries less about it then I do, when I pushed soloing before getting my cert and he pushed against it. First thing I say is if you can not see me go up, I will do the same, we can always go back down.

Even with a buddy I am not so sure we aren't solo diving a lot of the time.

cgvmer
02-08-2011, 14:17
I spent 10 minutes looking for you on the bottom, If your going to buddy dive....know the standards....whatever happened to look for 1 minute and surface.

I most often dive with my kids, so we know how we dive, and we have a rhythm. My last boat dive (which was too long ago) was in effect my first solo dive, there was 2 big groups on the boat and I slipped into the water after the first entered and just before the second. I wasn't fully equipped to dive solo(no redundant air supply) but this was a relatively shallow site that I had visited quite a few times in the past I found a certain freedom not focusing on my kids or some instabuddy. I enjoyed just prowling around the flipped barge and coral outcroppings without normal distractions. When I arrived on board, none of the others saw the pair moreys, or the colossal grouper, most of them saw a couple bugs, I saw many. I felt very comfortable diving this way, but I also know I need to have the proper gear

Lake Michijim
02-08-2011, 17:24
If you are not able to fend for your self under water you do not have the proper mind set for solo diving. Get a buddy and stick with that. You need to be able to work through anything and blow off minor problems and be self reliant.

bigman241
02-10-2011, 16:41
Kind of what I thought, it has been a big change going from the pits in indiana to the ocean, in our home town if you go 10 feet apart you were effectively solo diving, the only way to find your buddy was to surface find the bubbles and go down to him, or like you said look for a min surface, we got were we either did the dive or surfaced without look, really no point, one time we surfaced I looked for my dad and found no bubbles, I turn turned around again and he was 5 feet from me.
If your going to buddy dive....know the standards....whatever happened to look for 1 minute and surface.

I most often dive with my kids, so we know how we dive, and we have a rhythm. My last boat dive (which was too long ago) was in effect my first solo dive, there was 2 big groups on the boat and I slipped into the water after the first entered and just before the second. I wasn't fully equipped to dive solo(no redundant air supply) but this was a relatively shallow site that I had visited quite a few times in the past I found a certain freedom not focusing on my kids or some instabuddy. I enjoyed just prowling around the flipped barge and coral outcroppings without normal distractions. When I arrived on board, none of the others saw the pair moreys, or the colossal grouper, most of them saw a couple bugs, I saw many. I felt very comfortable diving this way, but I also know I need to have the proper gear

bigman241
02-10-2011, 16:42
I would agree, this is why I do not do it now, I feel confident in staying with it and working through a issue, just do not think I am 100% to do so, not sure any diver with 27ish dives could be. one thing I want to work toward over time.
If you are not able to fend for your self under water you do not have the proper mind set for solo diving. Get a buddy and stick with that. You need to be able to work through anything and blow off minor problems and be self reliant.

WaScubaDude
02-11-2011, 13:11
[QUOTE=cgvmer;439029]If your going to buddy dive....know the standards....whatever happened to look for 1 minute and surface. snip....

Another reason for Solo Diving. Surfacing to look for a lost buddy can have a nice easy profile turn into a saw toothed BOUNCE DIVE.:smiley11:

Zeagle Eagle
02-11-2011, 17:43
Every dive is a solo dive even with a buddy.