PDA

View Full Version : Egypt Trip

mcr0112
02-01-2011, 12:30
The way things look in Egypt right now we'll have to cancel our march trip. I haven't been able to contact my Egyptian friends since the mess started.
We'll probably look at going in the fall or maybe even a summer trip if things calm down.
We were booked to go on March 20 thru April 7.
:smiley11::smiley19::smiley30:

dawnvip
02-01-2011, 12:36
We're in the same situation. No contact so far with the Egyptian company we're booked with, but we do have a few months lead time.
Hopefully things will calm down quickly, but I kinda doubt it.
I just hope we can re-schedule our trip for later in the year. We have Egypt booked for April 15-31.

mcr0112
02-01-2011, 12:56
Who were you booked with on your live aboard?. we've done Sharm & Dahab as shore or daily dives but have looked at live aboards. We have an excellent land guide for small groups or couples.

Vlane
02-01-2011, 14:23
From what I've read, if the people are able to successfully overthrow Mubarak Americans may want to steer clear of there for a little while. Due to America heavily supporting Mubarak in past years plus a group called the Muslim Brotherhood, which doesn't care for the US too much, playing a role in the revolution there will most likely be some anti-US sentiment there. Either way it turns out I just hope it turns out in an outcome that is best for the people of Egypt.

dawnvip
02-01-2011, 14:28
We are booked for a few nights in Cairo and a few nights in Luxor before getting on the liveaboard in Hurgada.
We're with Red Sea Liveaboards | Diving Safari Red Sea | Red Sea Holidays (http://www.seaserpentfleet.com/) Lots of good feedback with them.

mcr0112
02-02-2011, 20:48
Recieved a message today from our friend who said it is quiet in Luxor. He's hopeful that it will be setteled quickly so everyone can get back to work. Still don't think our trip will happen at this time. Maybe later this year.

scubastud
02-02-2011, 21:20
So glad ya'll didn't go there and get in the middle of all the muck.
Here's hoping for a quick recovery from these latest events, and hoping for the best for the Egyptian people.
(Not to mention diving operations resuming there... )

dawnvip
02-03-2011, 10:26
Gotta hate it when democracy gets in the way of travel plans. :smiley5:

bigman241
02-06-2011, 07:44
I have yet to se a democracy in the middle east, how is democracy someone being in power for 30 years, how is democracy one dictator leaving and another taking his place, how is democracy the government getting rich and the poor going hungry, ohh what that one is here
Gotta hate it when democracy gets in the way of travel plans. :smiley5:

Vlane
02-06-2011, 10:37
Bigman I think dawnvip was referring to the Egyptian people overthrowing Mubarak and possibly setting up a democracy. Unfortunately situations like this are easily high jacked by organized extremist groups when the dust settles. The wrong group in power in Egypt can create some very big problems not only with Egypt, but also in surrounding countries like Israel.

dawnvip
02-06-2011, 13:50
Vlane has it right. If the protesters in Egypt can get Mubarak to leave, there may be the chance of a real democracy ensuing. Unfortunately, there may also be the chance of an extremist regime taking over (like what happened in Iran when the Shah was ousted).
The whole area is too unstable at the moment with Jordan and Yemen following what has happened in Tunisia and Egypt.
Too much of a risky situation that I'm not prepared to get caught up in.

mcr0112
02-07-2011, 12:05
Just got a note from my friend in Luxor. He says things are about 90 % back to normal. He thinks Cairo will be back to bussiness pretty quick. We're looking at things day by day right now as far as our March trip. Hopeful ?

cutter77
02-07-2011, 13:39
"Despite what appears to be greater calm on the streets in Egypt over the weekend, the State Department sent out a new Travel Warning on Sunday, Feb. 6, that instructs all American citizens to leave Egypt now.

The new, stronger alert replaces a previous Travel Warning from Feb. 1 that called for the departure of non-emergency U.S. government personnel and their families. The State Department had been chartering planes to help evacuate American citizens from Cairo, but those flights have now stopped. Nevertheless, the new Travel Warning calls for all citizens to leave Egypt, noting the potential for more violence in the offing."

State Department to Americans in Egypt: Get out now | The Cable (http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/02/07/state_department_to_americans_in_egypt_get_out_now )

Straegen
02-07-2011, 15:31
I plan on staying clear of the Middle East... the rest of my life. Plenty of great places to visit that don't have radicalized anti-American populations in close proximity, active revolts or repressive regimes. I am sure that they are wonderful places but there are plenty of wonderful calm beaches and great diving in stable welcoming countries.

chinacat46
02-07-2011, 17:33
Just got a note from my friend in Luxor. He says things are about 90 % back to normal. He thinks Cairo will be back to bussiness pretty quick. We're looking at things day by day right now as far as our March trip. Hopeful ?

I'd think twice. What airline are you using most have stopped flights.

mcr0112
02-08-2011, 13:34
Got the word last night that our trip is off due to the airlines not staring flights back up in time. We were using Delta. We were leaning towards not going til the fall anyway. Give it some time to settle down. It would be a great time as there would be fewer tourists, went in Nov 2001 and there were very few tourist so we got to see alot more as there were no lines or restrictions. Think we're going to go to Coz for a week maybe?
When we get another trip together I'll ost incase anyone is interested.

dawnvip
02-11-2011, 10:40
Mubarak has stepped down, thank God!

Hopefully this is the beginning of change and things will settle down before April (fingers crossed).

bigman241
02-13-2011, 20:34
I hope it works out. plus hope the next guy does not upset the people while your there

Travelnsj
02-13-2011, 22:49
I went to East Timor a few years ago and a few months before they over through the government...the Police and the Army exchanged gunfire...left a few dead...then the Aussie's landed. It was a last minute decision to go as Merpati had just resumed flights....Some of the best diving I have done!....hopefully flights will resume and all will be OK!