PDA

View Full Version : Favorite junior diver destination

grahamfairbank
02-01-2011, 14:54
Good afternoon, all -

The great midwest blizzard of 2011 is making me think very hard about where to take my 11YO daughter diving this summer -

the top 3 are:

Bonaire
Blackbeards
Cozumel

over thanksgiving, we did the Maui shore diving thing, and she enjoyed it, but was kind of challenged by shore entries in the waves -

Any thoughts about how these would work? We know blackbeards is fine with Junior's... Bonaire we do what we would want anyways, but, haven't seemed to find any good thoughts about what happens when you show up with a 11 year old in cozumel...

Straegen
02-01-2011, 16:31
Cozumel with a private operator I doubt would be a problem. Check with Scuba with Alison or Aldora Divers if you are leaning that direction. I would think a kid would get bored on Blackbeards around a bunch of divers but you never know. Bonaire is an easy choice as well and less chance for hurricanes in the summer season.

emclean
02-02-2011, 15:58
nice and close to you, didn't batt an eye at a 14yo diver with c-card.
Home - Haigh Quarry - The Place for Scuba Diving in Northern Illinois (http://www.haighquarry.com/)

not as exotic, but easer to get to.

rayaa3
02-03-2011, 13:19
Scuba Mau was fine taking my daughter on a discovery dive at 11.

However, Dive Palancar (which I only did a single tank with, and didn't care for anyway) won't work with kids under 12, certified, or not - at least that's what I was told at the time. They were based at Hotel Alegro at the south (nice beach).

Now - that being said, having been on their boats, I wouldn't have wanted her on there anyway.

Call the operator before you book, or email them.

Clarify the following:

1) how many divers on the boat?
2) diver:divemaster ratio

If you don't like the ratio, inquire to the cost for a dedicated DM to you and your daughter.

3) Can they tell you what sites you will visit (what you are looking for, if you are concerned about this - is the level of difficulty of a given site- depth, current, etc).

There are lots of good sites for newer/novice divers in cozumel. However, the typical boat trip is a deep dive (80ft or more), followed by a shallow 50ft dive. If you have such concerns, make sure they can ensure you a shallow/shallow profile, rather than a deep/shallow.

I would recommend the shops that take out smaller boats, it's easier to find 6 people desiring such a profile, than 12-18.

All that being said - I like scubamau, I also found papahogs quite acceptable - but mileage varies. Some folks like the larger boats. Heck, some of the larger boats will drop off 2 groups, so it's not impossible to have a group of deep and shallow divers together, especially if you look at a private DM.

Have fun where ever you go.

Ray

TJDiver
02-03-2011, 13:39
All depends on your daughter and her personality, but my son and I did a Blackbeard's trip last June, and he absolutely loved it! He was 14 at the time. There was an 11-year old girl on the trip with her mother and grandfather, and she had a blast too. Unlike day trips, being on a liveaboard usually means no rush from one site to the next...this provides a lot of time to jump in and swim...repeatedly in my son's case...snorkeling...and, just general fun time like swinging from a rigging rope into the drink...aside from the fun time of diving of course.

Also, you both have to be ok with very basic accomodations, as there's nothing fancy or luxurious about Blackbeard's...but, did I mention it's a blast?! Also, while there will be opportunities to do deep dives along walls and in blue holes, most dives are on shallow to medium depth reefs, with little to no current...very good diving environment for younger divers. My son put in his request for a return trip before we even boarded our flight home, and still refers to the trip as the best week of his life. :smiley2:

Clernix
02-09-2011, 17:29
remember that Coz will be drift diving

grahamfairbank
02-10-2011, 00:04
All depends on your daughter and her personality, but my son and I did a Blackbeard's trip last June, and he absolutely loved it! He was 14 at the time. There was an 11-year old girl on the trip with her mother and grandfather, and she had a blast too. Unlike day trips, being on a liveaboard usually means no rush from one site to the next...this provides a lot of time to jump in and swim...repeatedly in my son's case...snorkeling...and, just general fun time like swinging from a rigging rope into the drink...aside from the fun time of diving of course.

Also, you both have to be ok with very basic accomodations, as there's nothing fancy or luxurious about Blackbeard's...but, did I mention it's a blast?! Also, while there will be opportunities to do deep dives along walls and in blue holes, most dives are on shallow to medium depth reefs, with little to no current...very good diving environment for younger divers. My son put in his request for a return trip before we even boarded our flight home, and still refers to the trip as the best week of his life. :smiley2:

Thanks - did you see tons of sharks out there, or just on the shark dive?

TJDiver
02-10-2011, 07:15
Thanks - did you see tons of sharks out there, or just on the shark dive?

Any dive we did anywhere near Nassau, including the shark dive of course, we saw sharks. Once we crossed the Exuma Sound to Eleuthera, shark sightings were rare. I've been out with Blackbeard's a half-dozen times, and I have never been disappointed. If you and your daughter are the outdoors types...don't laugh, I've met many divers that weren't...and, you enjoy "roughing it" to some degree, then you'll like Blackbeard's. I've been out on larger, higher end liveaboards, but I had the most fun with Blackbeard's...it's more like an adventure. Speaking of "adventure", keep in mind you are on a boat all week, and you take the bad with the good. We hit some rough weather during our crossing of the Exuma Sound...which was very early in the trip...and, while my son did not get sick, it definitely wasn't his favorite part of the trip. However, afterwards it just seemed to heighten his sense of adventure for the trip, and became a bragging point once back home. Good luck with your decision, and have fun!