PDA

View Full Version : Safety Course / Jet Ski / Dive Flag

snagel
02-01-2011, 18:00
My son is taking the online Boaters Safety Course. I've been following along with him. Today there was a bunch of information on Personal Water Crafts. In the video they were talking about controlling the PWC and demonstrated this by zig-zagging around a dive flag (animated video). I couldn't believe it.

Additionally, there was a video with a Water Patrol Agent talking. In the background a boat went by with a person sitting on the bow of the boat. (They say this over and over not to allow or do). We had to back up the video because neither of us could believe it.

Other than that, it is really a pretty good course.

Snagel

DevilDiver
02-01-2011, 18:16
It's not easy making a good video on government funds........ :smilie39:

navyhmc
02-01-2011, 22:33
Please tell me you brought the dive flag issue to the instructor's attention.... Where did the video come from? I'd be more than willing to start a letter writing campaign.

davepoff
02-01-2011, 22:38
I bet the creators of the animated video didn't realize it when they were drawing the animation for that part.

snagel
02-02-2011, 05:27
This is an online course offered through the Missouri Water Patrol.....so, no instructor. I don't know what other states do. It appears that this is a general training program that is adapted for Missouri.

You bet, I'm going to draw attention to this with the Missouri Water Patrol. I think I still have email addresses for several upper ranking Water Patrol Directors. (Oddly, a couple years ago I witnessed Jet Skis doing zig-zags around another divers dive flag at Table Rock. I finally located a Water Patrol Officer and was kinda blown off because I didn't have the hull ID numbers of the jet skis. I sent some "interesting letters" to the Water Patrol Division about this and received some "intersting responses". Basically, the higher ups stated they were very concerned about this and stated they would be discussing this in-depth with all their agents.)

Snagel

navyhmc
02-02-2011, 06:56
I decided to do the course and look at it, it's in unit 2, Topic 5. At least he sort of cuts the power AFTER he goes by the flag...

I wrote a note to them about it too.

snagel
02-02-2011, 07:44
Okay, I wasn't going nuts...thanks for verifying it. I've been wondering if I really saw this or not. I sent an email to the Water Patrol this morning bringing their attention to it.

They say you can complete this course in 3.5 hours. We will be starting the last unit today. I think we probably have about 5 hours devoted to it. Seems to be a lot of information over and over, but in general a very good course.

Snagel

navyhmc
02-02-2011, 07:51
I also stepped up to the dive flag band wagon and suggested they add a boat flying a dive flag or Aplha flag onto one of the Navigation slides that they talked about boats at anchor.

Noob
02-02-2011, 09:56
I also stepped up to the dive flag band wagon and suggested they add a boat flying a dive flag or Aplha flag onto one of the Navigation slides that they talked about boats at anchor.

This is one thing I do when i dive out of my boat. I use the boat as a block and a big flag. Its harder to buzz or not see a boat then a small flag.