PDA

View Full Version : no snow.. but schools are closed because of..

scubastud
02-01-2011, 22:29
...the cold? really? cause it is cold outside?

Have family in Parker Colorado.. their kids staying home tomorrow.

davepoff
02-01-2011, 22:35
Cold weather is supposed to be covering 2/3 of the U.S. causing delays with everything!

snagel
02-02-2011, 05:37
We are basically snowed in....the first time ever for me. I've always been able to get out with 4 wheel drive or a 4 wheeler, but not this time. Everything is closed. For the 2nd time in history our plant closed due to weather.

My son hasn't had a full week of school since before Christmas. We live in a rural area. Interesting thing happened last year. The new School Superintendent attempted to have classes on a questionable day due to weather. The Sheriff intervened and classes were called off. The story I've heard is that a "pissing match" ensued and now the Sheriff makes the call. Of course, he doesn't want all the liability and if there is a strong dew on the roads, no classes.

Snagel

bfmorgan
02-02-2011, 05:44
We are basically snowed in....the first time ever for me. I've always been able to get out with 4 wheel drive or a 4 wheeler, but not this time. Everything is closed. For the 2nd time in history our plant closed due to weather.

My son hasn't had a full week of school since before Christmas. We live in a rural area. Interesting thing happened last year. The new School Superintendent attempted to have classes on a questionable day due to weather. The Sheriff intervened and classes were called off. The story I've heard is that a "pissing match" ensued and now the Sheriff makes the call. Of course, he doesn't want all the liability and if there is a strong dew on the roads, no classes.

Snagel
Sorry, that you are snowed in....I would recommend a good book for the day! It looks like I can get out on the roads, but I am hearing reports of 4 to 5 foot drifts. Almost everything is closed until at least noon. Road crews have a rough time with people who get out and get stuck in the roadway...makes clearing roads really difficult.

A lot of politics in closing schools....even fights among districts over who should announce closing first and the effect that one districts closing has on the decision making options of a nearby district.

Vercingetorix
02-02-2011, 06:58
Ice on the roads here. 15 degree temp and sub-zero windchills. So far, two days od closings

scubastud
02-02-2011, 07:02
Yea V I can understand southern/sw states that aren't used to this kind of weather..heck if we get a little dusting in Phoenix I'm sure people will freak and close schools but ...Denver?

Straegen
02-02-2011, 09:05
Maybe it is the cost of keeping the schools and buses heated? Does seem strange for the area though.

scubadiver888
02-02-2011, 09:19
...the cold? really? cause it is cold outside?

Have family in Parker Colorado.. their kids staying home tomorrow.

Really?!?? We had a cold day a few weeks back. Record setting. I think it was something like -30C (-22F) plus the wind chill. News report instructed everyone to dress warmly and avoid having any exposed skin for more than 5 minutes as frostbite would occur. Day off?!?? Not a chance.

scubadiver888
02-02-2011, 09:20
Maybe it is the cost of keeping the schools and buses heated? Does seem strange for the area though.

Buses maybe but the schools have to be kept heated. Pipes would burst inside the school (sprinkler systems, etc.) if they weren't kept warm.

chinacat46
02-02-2011, 09:25
Yea V I can understand southern/sw states that aren't used to this kind of weather..heck if we get a little dusting in Phoenix I'm sure people will freak and close schools but ...Denver?

Yeah I was a bit surprised they closed the schools because of cold. We only got a dusting of snow maybe 1 to 2 inches at most. The cold doesn't stop people from going skiing why should they close the schools.

Straegen
02-02-2011, 09:32
Buses maybe but the schools have to be kept heated. Pipes would burst inside the school (sprinkler systems, etc.) if they weren't kept warm.

Keeping schools at 50 is a very different cost than keeping schools heated at 70+. Not saying that is the reason they closed the school more wondering.

scubadiver888
02-02-2011, 09:46
True, they could lower the heating and save a little money. Didn't think of that.

bfmorgan
02-02-2011, 10:55
I work for a University. We close when wind chills become dangerous.....at 20 to 30 degrees below wind chills, too much of a chance of students suffering from a variety of cold effects. However, in 30 years we have closed once for wind chills as far as I remember.

scubadiver888
02-02-2011, 11:39
Just watched the weather report while having lunch. Australia is getting hit by a category 5 cyclone. Now that is something to close the schools for. Hopefully everyone in Queensland are okay. Makes freezing my butt off in Toronto seem like a good thing.

Straegen
02-02-2011, 12:28
Australia is bearing the brunt of some extreme weather lately. Droughts, floods and now massive storms are wreaking havoc.

chinacat46
02-02-2011, 13:07
They wanted to show the size of the storm that is hitting Australia. They overlayed it on the US and it was almost the continetal USA. That is friggin' huge. Hope everyone down under is doing okay and hope the waves don't wreck the reefs.

TwistedSister209
02-02-2011, 16:38
They wanted to show the size of the storm that is hitting Australia. They overlayed it on the US and it was almost the continetal USA. That is friggin' huge. Hope everyone down under is doing okay and hope the waves don't wreck the reefs.
+1 I've got my prayers out for them and our ST friends.

navyhmc
02-03-2011, 00:01
Low temps and lower wind chills have closed the local schools for an unprecedented 3rd day in a row w/5 snow days so far this year - a local record!

snagel
02-03-2011, 05:05
The cold doesn't stop people from going skiing why should they close the schools.

If little Tommy got frostbite or was hurt because of the extreme cold on the schools watch, the lawyers would be lining up.

bigman241
02-03-2011, 07:06
when I was a kid they delayed it if the morning temp was like 10 maybe 15, if it was under 0 they would cancel it if the temp was not over 10 by 10am