PDA

View Full Version : Got my stuff and went lobster hunting and caught something.... not a LOBSTER

bigman241
02-02-2011, 18:21
Ok well we went to marathon for a beach day, opted for a snorkel trip that turned into lobster hunting, that turned into a shore dive. I bought an al80 since my dad told me he would pay me for it in two weeks so he had a third tank. We got down there geared up off the truck and made the 40to60 yard walk to the wanter. Alittle work with the gear and 36 pounds of weight. I got in and went belly deep and slipped my fins on, no trouble, I went out with a snorkel to were I seen some lobsters last time we were there, in fact had seen two in the same spots both times we were there. The tide was out ALOT so it was shallow, plus the sand had been pulled out and the water looked like water running off wet concert:smiley5::smiley5::smiley13::smiley13:

I went down in about 6 feet of water to go over to where I had seen the lobsters then head into deeper water. You could see nothing, I could not see the end of my tickle stick, I would say 2 feet vis. I came up in 6 feet of water.

Here is where it gets bad, I DROPPED MY AL TICKLE rod, I went down with no vis and set my hand right on it the first time :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:, came up with a man o war 10 feet from me, I turned around to go the other way and one was wrapped around my lobster bag and my BC:smiley19::smiley19:, I splashed it away and it had left tinickles on my back bc gloves and bag, ok no burning or pain, I HAD clothes on, I headed in and dad helped me remove the tinickles. About 5 minutes last I started itching and burning, then more burning. It had got on my neck and through a bunch of little holes on my tshirt:smiley19:, I washed my shirt off at the shower and then my self, I itched alittle on the way home with alittle burning but not that bad, almoust like a honeybee sting.

DO they really not hurt that bad or did I get real lucky?

I have always said any dive you walk away from is a good dive, I stand painfully corrected

davepoff
02-02-2011, 18:38
Good to hear that you survived! By the way does anybody know if you were to urinate on a jelly fish sting if that would take away the pain. I have heard that it does work for bee stings.

bigman241
02-02-2011, 18:42
I heard and was told by some who did it for sea urchins and that it is the only way to stop it

I was not taking a pee shower

Good to hear that you survived! By the way does anybody know if you were to urinate on a jelly fish sting if that would take away the pain. I have heard that it does work for bee stings.

flipcop
02-02-2011, 18:47
I heard vinegor works! It would be quite the site you trying to pee on your neck.

davepoff
02-02-2011, 18:49
I tried it on a bee sting on my hand and it worked. But on your back it probably would be better to have someone else help you.

bigman241
02-02-2011, 21:25
I could reach.... I do not think I could have someone pee on me, now if it was my leg or foot, but on my back or neck, like the joke, A cowboy gets bite on his penis by a rattlesnake, his buddy calls poison control with the guy yelling ask them what to do, they tell the guy you much suck the poison out or your buddy will die, the cowboy turns to his buddy, "they said your going to die"
I tried it on a bee sting on my hand and it worked. But on your back it probably would be better to have someone else help you.

Splitlip
02-02-2011, 22:34
ammonia

Lulubelle
02-02-2011, 22:37
Why do men take any chance to bring up pee and poop? Really? Why?

bennerman
02-02-2011, 22:55
I heard vinegor works! It would be quite the site you trying to pee on your neck.

Yes, but there is big bucks to be made on the internet for just that

Splitlip
02-02-2011, 22:58
why do men take any chance to bring up pee and poop? Really? Why?

ijs. .

Vercingetorix
02-03-2011, 05:47
Why do men take any chance to bring up pee and poop? Really? Why?

Because urine works when you don't have vinegar or ammonia.

And, Biggie, I glad you survived to tell the tale. this story could have turned out very differently

bigman241
02-03-2011, 06:59
that is why I called it, to much to deal with, all the lobster gear, the vis, the dam man o war, guess a good diver knows when to call the dive
Because urine works when you don't have vinegar or ammonia.

And, Biggie, I glad you survived to tell the tale. thois story could have turned out very differently

Splitlip
02-03-2011, 07:19
YouTube - Friends - I'd Pee On Anyone of You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6smkdNSl4)

jet126
02-03-2011, 08:34
Portuguese Man o' War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o%27_War)

Bigman - you were lucky. The stings can be extremely painful. I've heard reports they are all over the Keys right now. Also in Broward - the purple "hazardous marine life" flags are flying on all the lifeguard towers. I was walking on Dania Beach the other morning and there were tons washed up on the shore. Even dead they can still pack a powerful punch.

Vinegar doesn't work. Plain (fresh) HOT water is best. For lionfish stings, too.

davepoff
02-03-2011, 15:22
YouTube - Friends - I'd Pee On Anyone of You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6smkdNSl4)

Who would let Chandler pee on them?

bigman241
02-03-2011, 15:42
went out today on a boat and they were every where

jet126
02-03-2011, 16:01
With all the jellies and man-o-wars we also get a lot more turtles. So that's the good news.

Davetowz
02-03-2011, 17:54
That was pretty funny!

SEMO Scuba
02-03-2011, 21:14

As long as you don't get stage fright.

Davetowz
02-03-2011, 21:56
Who would let Chandler pee on them?
I would, hell, make a great pic for FB if nothing else.I would prfer the rescue be performed by others in that cast!! family forum so I stop my digression here.

Splitlip
02-03-2011, 22:11
LOL!!!
But I would be proud to pee on most of the people I met here.

Fireplug
02-03-2011, 22:21
I was diving off of Ft. Lauderdale over MLK weekend and got nailed by one. The DM on the boat was waving me off and I thought he was signaling one of our students. I swam right thru the jelly on my way into the ladder not occupied. Got up on the deck and my forehead and upper lip felt like a bunch of little razor cuts. Dixie Diver's ever efficient DM Fernando fetched the vinegar spray bottle. I smelled springtime fresh for about 20 minutes until the pain subsided. I never even saw the durned thing. Everyone on the boat offered to help, lol, but I stuck with the vinegar and seawater routine. Could have been a lot worse I guess. After 100 plus ocean dives I guess I was due for some excitement.

Splitlip
02-03-2011, 22:35
I was diving off of Ft. Lauderdale over MLK weekend and got nailed by one. The DM on the boat was waving me off and I thought he was signaling one of our students. I swam right thru the jelly on my way into the ladder not occupied. Got up on the deck and my forehead and upper lip felt like a bunch of little razor cuts. Dixie Diver's ever efficient DM Fernando fetched the vinegar spray bottle. I smelled springtime fresh for about 20 minutes until the pain subsided. I never even saw the durned thing. Everyone on the boat offered to help, lol, but I stuck with the vinegar and seawater routine. Could have been a lot worse I guess. After 100 plus ocean dives I guess I was due for some excitement.

LOL. It's a rite of passage. I ALWAYS dive a full suit. Skin, .5 mil, 1 mil or 3/2. Only place I seem to get hit is my neck unless I dive a hooded vest.

bigman241
02-04-2011, 08:04
we came up on aboat dive yesterday dodging man o war then had 5 jellys shooting around the ladder, it did not take me long to get out on the second dive

Fireplug
02-12-2011, 11:59
For the record, I had on a 3 mil Henderson full suit, boots, gloves and a beanie with chin strap. As I run a shaved skull, I'm sure the beanie kept me from having jellyfish stings across my head. That would have topped it off!!! As it was forehead and mostly shaved upper lip, (Pencil thin moustache), were the only injured surfaces.