PDA

View Full Version : water tread?

chewyjr15
09-14-2007, 17:17
i can do it for like 7 minuits in the pool adn then i get really tired anyone have any tricks is till have 2 weeks of practicing? I can do the swim but im to tired afterwards to treadwater for that long.

diverdad
09-14-2007, 17:53
if can you float on your back do it. treading water is to see if you can stay afloat till the boat picks you up not to see if you can kick water for 10 minutes.

divingmedic
09-14-2007, 18:02
Just relax, float, and just tread lightly, the time wil be up before you know it.

pnevai
09-14-2007, 18:21
Oy! Ok here is a little info. The average person will float at about eye level in the water on a normal breath. The trick here will be taking long slow but full deep breaths. The more you fill your lungs the higher you will float in the water. It is like yoga breathing long deep inhale, hold for a count of 6 long slow exhale. During the exhale phase you tread water a little harder to keep your nose and mouth out of the water. You can then ease up on the paddeling during the inhale and hold phase. This will accomplish three things. Make you relax, Oxygenate the blood refreashing you and assist you with keeping you afloat with less effort.

I depends on your instructor but mine did not allow floating on your back as a replacement for treading water.

chewyjr15
09-14-2007, 18:28
i can float on my back

DevilDiver
09-14-2007, 18:43
That's it...... It's not always about physical strength. It's having the mental power to figure out how to survive in a emergency situation. The answer is not always to force your way through.......
In a real emergency the reality is nobody could tread water forever so how do you get through this situation......
Float away!:smiley20:

pnevai
09-14-2007, 18:54
OK maybe I was not clear. First the swim is not a race you do not get extra points for finishing first. Take as long as you want, so as you feel comfortable. If you know how to do the breast stroke then use that as it conserves the most energy and can be swam at a slower pace.

Now about the treading water thing. Your instructor may not let you float on your back, mine did not I had to tread water.

You said you can practice then here is a test you can try. Grab your snorkel and mask. Jump in the deep end of the pool and remain vertical (head up feet down) look straight ahead and now take normal breaths, as you exhale the water should rise and cover the top of your head and when you inhale normally and hold you should float vertically with the water at eye level.

Now in the same position try some of the long deep and slow breaths and hold. With the full deep breath your should float vertically with your nose and mouth above the water line. Hold for a six count and slowly exhale, then repeat. While you are exhaling you start paddeling to tread water to keep your nose and mouth clear of the water. as you start the next inhale let the bouyancy help you keep your nose and mouth out of the water and you can ease up on the paddleing. Once you have this down loose the mask and snorkel an you willl find out you can tread water for a long long time. Until you get the hang of it hold onto the side of the pool so you don't accidentally suck in water from the snorkel.

jwdizney
09-14-2007, 19:00
The 'tread' portion of the PADI checkout was described to me as a '10 minute, no drown'... stay afloat! you're not graded on style!.... i have the same struggles you have.... i tread upright, then float on my back a little, then tread... repeat....

Capt Hook
09-14-2007, 19:32
I'm a sinker but, I have found that if I just arch my back I can tread for a long time. I don't float just lean back a bit.

greyzen
09-14-2007, 23:04
I have done endurance floating before, and when I was teaching the wife to swim there was a lot of me treding her trying stuff...
Learn to float with your face in the water, lift for breath, and then stick your face back in the water.

So make your body big (arms outstretched) and just rest your face on your chest. Time to breath, raise your head inhale/exhale, rerest.

You use like no muscles and can do it for literally days. (ask a SEAL)

ertechsg
09-14-2007, 23:13
I have done endurance floating before, and when I was teaching the wife to swim there was a lot of me treding her trying stuff...
Learn to float with your face in the water, lift for breath, and then stick your face back in the water.

So make your body big (arms outstretched) and just rest your face on your chest. Time to breath, raise your head inhale/exhale, rerest.

You use like no muscles and can do it for literally days. (ask a SEAL)
This is how they teach it for survival classes. When you need a breath you kick up slightly ... Good job:smiley20: Greyzen

danielh03
09-15-2007, 02:01
Or do what i do, put on a few extra inches around the waist, fat floats better than muscle lol!

diverdad
09-15-2007, 10:12
why don't you ask LARRY about this if floating is ok or if you have to really tread water.

chinacat46
09-15-2007, 11:25
I'm PADI instructor and I allow floating on the back. Any way you can keep yourself from sinking is fine. Treading, floating, etc...

BuzzGA
09-15-2007, 11:54
When I was a lifeguard/swim instructor we spent a lot of time coaching people to relax when they are treading. If you look like an egg beater your just wasting energy...larger, slower movements work well and conserve energy.

gtjason2000
09-15-2007, 12:52
I believe the only rule is to keep your face out of the water. The harder you try, the harder it is to stay floating. If you watch a swimmer tread water they barely move. Make very slow wide movements as recommended and its a breeze. Doing this you can even keep your hands out of the water for a long time. I remember the only problem doing the dm tread was the boredom. 10 minutes don't drown you can do it!