PDA

View Full Version : boat dive on the washington and christ of the abyess

bigman241
02-03-2011, 18:09
We did a boat dive with silent world diving. The first dive was on the christ of the abyess and the second was the city of washington wreck.

We got to the shop and signed up, I had asked and was waiting on a email about a price on 2 130s, still waiting days later:smiley13:. Their a big tech shop, well big into tech diving, the shop is not real big. I also asked about some bp/ws I got a price of 800+ on a halcycon setup, guess they like it. I did not look close as not sure I want to drop 800+ on a bcd.

On the boat I got my first dive on steel 130s :smiley20: with rental so was not commited if I did not like them.

Here is the fun part. We arrive to the dock and my dads shirt had blown out the back of the truck we quickly unloaded and I went to get it. When I got back my dad said"you going to **** when you see this boat we are getting on". I walked around and see a 25 foot boat with a knee high back and a swim platform :smiley5:. Guess it is their #2 boat, the ladder was a smaller dive ladder with it open for fins. We headed out with some good waves, I got alittle sea sick but not vomit:smiley20:. I then noticed their is a square bench in the middle and you must rig you stuff then pick it up and put it on :smiley5:. Ok for a guy with 10 pounds not so much with a steel 130 and 36 pounds of weight. :smilie40::smiley36::smiley19:. I had to put my bc then have someone help me put the weights in, THE captain and off duty crew member who was diving was a big help. We got on the chirst and did a roll over the side, it was easier for me then climbing over the back onto the platform. This was my first roll over and the captain told me when I got back on I was one of the few people he has seen do it prefect the first time, I guess alot of people like to look around when they roll off. Got to say it was weird, kind of fun and a rush

Went down right over the statue and I wanted for my dad to come down and while I waited I did a fin pivot to get neutral, I was alittle heavy but maybe by 2-4 pounds only. We went around the statue and made to increasing circles around it about 100 yards out from it.

On this dive we saw a bunch of small fish, some small grouper and a few nice conchs, even seen a lobster tail that was just the shell but 100% in tact, not sure why though.
I got 42 minutes of out of the steel 130 with 1000 psi left, I ended up going up cause my dad ran down to 500, I think I could have pushed 50 minutes on the shallow dive and hit the boat with 400-500psi, I saw no reason to stay down solo for the remaining 500 psi.

When I surfaced I had a hell of a time getting up with the rough waves and ****y ladder. I ended up removing me in the water.

We got to the washington and rigged up, again lifting up my rig and having help with my weights. WE went down on the nose and ran down what would be the left side when looking down from the bow, west I believe would be the direction. We got to the end and I saw a 8 footish nurse shark, and with no thought to my own safety swam to about 5 feet away:smiley36::smiley11::smiley11::smiley11:. Then it hit me what I was doing, the guy with a cam tried to go around and cut it off but I did not see a reason to corner a SHARK. We went down by the other side and off down the reef, first we spotted a good size lobster( no take zone with no gear) :smiley19::smiley19::smiley19:, I tried to talk him out but he wanted nothing to do with it.

Then we noticed a conch shell I was guess about the width of a baseketball plus a few inchs, I would guess 150 bucks in shell world.

Dad and the other diver with us got alittle head of me and I saw 5 big lobsters under some ledges in formation that looked like a canyon two walls with a 10 foot wide spot going to the sand.

After that it was alittle boring but fun, I ended the dive at 43 minutes with 845psi.

With the dives I think the steel 130 is right for me, it gave me the air to match my dads dive time, plus it seem to trim good. I can noticed the diff from the al80s and al100s.

After the dive not sure I will ever want to double 130s or if my back will handle it. Will be rethinking buying the bands and manifold for 130s maybe 80s or al100s

Now for the review section of my report.

Both dives were great and a must to a visitor(do these dives, they are goo prep for the deeper wrecks or reef, or just ocean diving, there is alot to see, my fav dive so far)

Dive op review
The store, crew on the boat and the shop are great, the main boat is nice and a real dive boat, their into tech so if that is your thing you good, or just rec diving, they mainly dive al80s but will be happy to give you bigger tanks for a small fee.

The boat (gettin wet) SUCK, blow, and has far as I am concern is not suited for rec divers nor big divers, I am sure any new recreation diver will have issues.
I WILL NOT GET BACK ON THIS SPECIFIC BOAT

Ohh I forgot we saw Goliath grouper on both dives bigger ones on the wreck.

Sorry no pics my housing shows some bad stress cracks, and the flash is still acting up, I have to send it back to sea life for a 2nd time.

Jack Hammer
02-03-2011, 18:23
Excellent dive report, sounds like you had a great time. Glad to hear you're trying out the different tanks to see how you like them instead of just going out and buying some. I look forward to your next dive report.

scubagirlj
02-03-2011, 18:49
why did you dive with a tech oriented outfit(they advertise as such-helloooo, silent world=rebreathers & deco),try rainbow reef, they are used to touristy types-SW's boats are typical of most outfits in KL(better get used to the floating christmas tree ladders) and most recreational divers dont use tanks much over hp100s, especially for shallow dives(both sites are what, max 25 ft?)

bigman241
02-03-2011, 21:16
We dove with them because of the dive planned, and I wanted to try the steel130s, I have yet to find another op in key largo even selling the, let alone renting them, I did this because I have dove al80s, al100s, steel 100s and 120s on ow. netural al80s, and not the steel 130s, besides a fiber wrapped tank not sure there is any let, besides trying the lp fabers . They avertise for both recration diving and tank, infact on their site the give the dive plan fo both types of diving. I went with 130s to try them out and get 43 minutes not 29ish out of my dive

why did you dive with a tech oriented outfit(they advertise as such-helloooo, silent world=rebreathers & deco),try rainbow reef, they are used to touristy types-SW's boats are typical of most outfits in KL(better get used to the floating christmas tree ladders) and most recreational divers dont use tanks much over hp100s, especially for shallow dives(both sites are what, max 25 ft?)