PDA

View Full Version : great shore dive

bigman241
02-08-2011, 20:20
Well dad asked if we wanted to go up to miami and go to south beach for some snorkeling, that turned into diving, and I quickly turned it into a shore dive at datura av in ft lauderdale. We got there at about 2ish and got ready on the back of our truck, I then made the good long walk to the beach, and down to the water:smiley29:.

It was not as bad as I thought but about twice as far coming back in :smiley36:
We went out past the snorkel trail and about 1500 feet off the shore line :eek2::eek2::eek2: On the way out I noticed there was no current north to south but the wind and I think they call it a rip current was pushing us out ward, YEA less work out, MORE WORK BACK.
Besides a few fish the first thing we saw was a small to med stingray, I thought about descending and checking it out, but then I thought of the wildlife guy who took one to the heart. we got out in about 20ish feet of water and went down, we headed out ward to what I think is the 1500 feet out area, and then went on a east southeast direction for some time, then turned back to the north, I figured with alittle south current with we were better going into it. We saw a crap load of good fish, some urchins which I stayed away from.

I had been looking for some lobsters but saw nothing:smiley13::smiley19:. as we went along my dad started waving at me and pointing, I look over his shoulder and bang a big old bug, he was pointing at another, I went over held my net down and stuck my tickle rod in, he was not having it, swimming back in the whole. I ended up with my hand in there, funny how your fear of whats in a whole goes away when you see a 20 dollar bill hiding in a hole :smiley36:, I could not get him out so I turned to the other bigger lobster, I then saw a third and forth under a different ledge. I went up started over and the other who was under a smaller wider ledge. He ran in my net for his life and I grabbed in and was heading for the bag, I stopped and checked him for length and he was way over 3, more 4 to 4 1/2 lobster. In this time I got off the ledge and could not find the honey hole again, but went away with my first bug and good size one at that. I was going to look for more but being at 945 psi I did not want to surface swim the whole way in.

So we headed in on the bottom and got 1/2 way and I hit 250psi so went up, I pushed it since we were 10 feet deep and the wind was blowing to the east pretty good. We got in and I had little trouble getting out, which had me worried, since I am so tiny :smilie39::smilie39:.

I did get a good surprise, we were heading in and when I git 400 psi I looked at my dive time and I was at 41 minutes :smiley32:, which was 2 minutes short of my dive on the boat last week, but wait for it last week I was on a steel 130s, today I was using our al80 with a start psi of 2885 :smiley32::smiley20::smiley20:. seems with every dive my dive time increases.

Since we now have 3 al80s I think I will get a 4th sometime soon for the shore dives, not sure the 130s I will be getting will be worth the walk out and such, figure I will reserve them for deep and nitrox dives, thus not having to worry about air fills at random shops

Here are some pics of my bug, he will be split and grilled tomorrow, I just but him in a zip lock and in the fridge to night, well the tail not the whole bug

shore dive pictures by bigtim6656 - Photobucket (http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff332/bigtim6656/shore%20dive/)

bigman241
02-08-2011, 20:34
I will tell you this, with the boat dives and the quarry diving this summer, none of it compares to this dive, my legs, arms , bad neck, toes, and even my fingers hurt, a true full body work out

Davetowz
02-08-2011, 20:39
But seeing that tail is making me think all the pain was worth it! great dive I am jealous!

bigman241
02-08-2011, 20:53
I ran a knife through his head before removing it. I doubt he felt much, if we all worried about alittle pain for the animal then we would all be veggys
But seeing that tail is making me think all the pain was worth it! great dive I am jealous!

Davetowz
02-08-2011, 20:57
boil em whole!! almost all good eating!

bigman241
02-08-2011, 22:15
I thought that but everyone down here pulls the tails off, as there is not much in the body of a spiny lobster, I have yet to see a whole one in the stores, now the Maine lobsters are a another story
boil em whole!! almost all good eating!

Gonnagettanked
02-09-2011, 06:24
I thought that but everyone down here pulls the tails off, as there is not much in the body of a spiny lobster, I have yet to see a whole one in the stores, now the Maine lobsters are a another story

You said it Bigman. Let me know if your ever in my neighborhood and the lobstah is on me!

bigman241
02-09-2011, 07:36
lol you got it
You said it Bigman. Let me know if your ever in my neighborhood and the lobstah is on me!

Splitlip
02-09-2011, 11:52
Nice job Tim. I kill them first as well before ringing them If I can.

There is nothing to eat in the body except for the knuckles. You can stretch the bugs by splitting and cleaning them then stuff with a crab meat stuffing. Stick a skewer in the tail however you prepare them so the tails don't curl.

Save the knuckles. They go great in stews like chilau and you can get a little meat with a nut pick.

bigman241
02-09-2011, 20:07
I fryed it in a pan of butter for my mom, though I overcooked it alittle, tasted good, would have liked to grill it up the shore dive and fender bender had me tired I went lazy with it
Nice job Tim. I kill them first as well before ringing them If I can.

There is nothing to eat in the body except for the knuckles. You can stretch the bugs by splitting and cleaning them then stuff with a crab meat stuffing. Stick a skewer in the tail however you prepare them so the tails don't curl.

Save the knuckles. They go great in stews like chilau and you can get a little meat with a nut pick.