PDA

View Full Version : wreck cert instructor in or near the keys

bigman241
02-09-2011, 18:54
Ok me and my dad did a horrific shore dive from hell today, the waves were bad and I got bounced around and ended but calling the dive. My dad went with the guy we meet there and I hung on shore, on the way home we got talking and I told him we were local and no reason to go when it is bad out. We got talking about boat dive and doing the spegiel, he told me he would like to do the wreck cert before had or on the wreck. I told him I did not want padis thank you here is a cert card and non penetration training.

Not looking to do a class then start going inside but want good training to start that way.

I thought about hitting sdi/tdis site, but figured someone would know a shop or instructor who we could do it with, and get some training on reels and penetration. More a stepping stone note a whole full wreck penetration class, just ALITTLE. So can you recommend a shop in the keys, Miami, ft lauderdale, honestly I would drive to daytona to get some good wreck training, though the keys would be nice as we are here. Do not care about which agency or if it is an individual, just that it is worth the time and money

UCFKnightDiver
02-10-2011, 14:15
I don't think you need to be penetrating a wreck nor taking a wreck penetration course as a quote "stepping stone", stick to the outside of the wreck no cert is needed.

SlvrDragon50
02-10-2011, 14:41
You either do wreck penetration or none at all. There is no stepping point.

Especially for someone your size, I'd work on losing weight before trying to squeeze into ships.

Vercingetorix
02-10-2011, 15:02
Biggie, you've gone from barely just certified to wanting training to penetrate wrecks. A bit too quickly, my friend. And, not to offend, by SlvrDragon is right about that weight issue for diving cramped quarters of a wreck. Just my 2 psi...

Smashee
02-10-2011, 15:32
Gotta agree. A half-arsed course would be incredibly dangerous, too. Just too much temptation to push it a little further.

Biggie, IMO you're neither physically or mentally ready and you won't be for a while. Relax, enjoy your diving, build your skills & fitness and develop your experience & discipline. Give it time, yeah?

Maybe do some maritime archeology courses in the meantime. Learning how to chart a site, identify structural parts and a bit about preservation is a great way to learn more about shipwrecks. I'm sure one of the universities in the USA runs something similar to AIMA pt.1
Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology - Home Page (http://www.aima.iinet.net.au/frames/aimavtframe.html)

bigman241
02-10-2011, 16:24
Not look for a half-arsed course, more looking for a goof class, the penetration training does not worry me alot more so a good class with alot of infomation and not just here is the wreck you go down look around and come back up
Gotta agree. A half-arsed course would be incredibly dangerous, too. Just too much temptation to push it a little further.

Biggie, IMO you're neither physically or mentally ready and you won't be for a while. Relax, enjoy your diving, build your skills & fitness and develop your experience & discipline. Give it time, yeah?

Maybe do some maritime archeology courses in the meantime. Learning how to chart a site, identify structural parts and a bit about preservation is a great way to learn more about shipwrecks. I'm sure one of the universities in the USA runs something similar to AIMA pt.1
Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology - Home Page (http://www.aima.iinet.net.au/frames/aimavtframe.html)

bigman241
02-10-2011, 16:25
maybe something to think about instead which would benifit us alot with the deeper wrecks here is doing the deep diver course.

bigman241
02-10-2011, 16:27
Now how could someone with a cartmen picture offend any one, you and slvrdragon make a good point, not looking to go inside well maybe stick my head in and look inside, more training to know what to do, where to go, and the best way to dive the local wrecks, that is why I wonder if the deep cert is not a better idea since alot of the big wrecks are below 100 feet
Biggie, you've gone from barely just certified to wanting to wanting taining to penetrate wrecks. A bit too quickly, my friend. And, not to offend, by SlvrDragon is right about that weight issue for diving cramped quarters of a wreck. Just my 2 psi...

UCFKnightDiver
02-10-2011, 16:38
Now how could someone with a cartmen picture offend any one, you and slvrdragon make a good point, not looking to go inside well maybe stick my head in and look inside, more training to know what to do, where to go, and the best way to dive the local wrecks, that is why I wonder if the deep cert is not a better idea since alot of the big wrecks are below 100 feet

I don't believe the deep cert teaches you proper gas planning in which case it's worthless in my opinion, besides if you're going deep you ought to be on trimix. Also the bolded part is not what you said in your original post... "I thought about hitting sdi/tdis site, but figured someone would know a shop or instructor who we could do it with, and get some training on reels and penetration."

Smashee
02-10-2011, 16:57
Not look for a half-arsed course, more looking for a goof class,

Worse. Either do something properly, or don't do it at all.

the penetration training does not worry me alot

It should.

bigman241
02-10-2011, 17:13
you misunderstand me one for spelling opps and the other the way I worded it. I meant a good class not a goof class, just a opps with my finger, which made it sound bad. The second line I mean doing alot of penetration in basic class does not worry me, I would be fine with a very limited amount or non, as long as the class was a good class. Not that penetrating wreck do not worry me, it worries me alot, more so then most other things
Worse. Either do something properly, or don't do it at all.

It should.

Zenagirl
02-10-2011, 17:14
IMO the kind of training you're talking about (wreck penetration) isn't the kind of training you get in a "course". This is the type of diving that IMO requires an on-going relationship with a mentor who can teach you step-by-step over time.

Panmanmatt
02-10-2011, 17:29
Tim, while I admire your enthusiasm, taking course after course is not going to make you a better diver. You need to just get out and dive more within your limits, get more familiar with your gear and diving in general. Then as time goes on and you get more comfortable, start taking more advanced/technical classes.

Find some local folks to dive with besides just your dad and learn from them about the conditions you will encounter in your area.

I know it has been said over and over again, but you just don't seem to wanna hear it. Slow down and enjoy diving for a while. You've got your whole life to enjoy this great hobby, stop trying to rush it.

bigman241
02-10-2011, 19:45
I would love to find a local wreck diver to go with, this is why we have been diving with different boats, checking everyone out and meeting the locals

I would not disagree I get alittle ahead of my self, better ask here then say hey I signed up for advance wreck today
Tim, while I admire your enthusiasm, taking course after course is not going to make you a better diver. You need to just get out and dive more within your limits, get more familiar with your gear and diving in general. Then as time goes on and you get more comfortable, start taking more advanced/technical classes.

Find some local folks to dive with besides just your dad and learn from them about the conditions you will encounter in your area.

I know it has been said over and over again, but you just don't seem to wanna hear it. Slow down and enjoy diving for a while. You've got your whole life to enjoy this great hobby, stop trying to rush it.

Jack Hammer
02-10-2011, 20:10
IMO the kind of training you're talking about (wreck penetration) isn't the kind of training you get in a "course". This is the type of diving that IMO requires an on-going relationship with a mentor who can teach you step-by-step over time.

Well said Zenagirl. +1

SlvrDragon50
02-10-2011, 20:35
I would love to find a local wreck diver to go with, this is why we have been diving with different boats, checking everyone out and meeting the locals

I would not disagree I get alittle ahead of my self, better ask here then say hey I signed up for advance wreck today
OT: But if you could type like that from now on.... that would be AMAZING.

bigman241
02-11-2011, 07:11
whi does mi tipeing not be so good for you normel peoples LOL
OT: But if you could type like that from now on.... that would be AMAZING.