PDA

View Full Version : what would you do

bigman241
02-10-2011, 17:46
I went to ocean divers to fill 2 of our al80s the third is still in indiana. She did not quick fill them but did it alittle quicker then I think most would. think it took 5 to 10 minutes. We got the the beach and dad told me he had 2830 and mine had 2700 and some change. I was less then happy, I know 200-300 psi, but still I paid for 3000 psi with 77cuft or what ever it is, not 2700-2800. Plus with my sac rate I NEED EVERY PSI, my first thought is well thats the last fill there, then I thought wel things happen, I have had more then a few short fills to this level. I am thinking if I should let it go till the next fill, or say hey can you make sure you get it fill the last two where alittle short.

What would you do if anything?

Vercingetorix
02-10-2011, 17:52
I agree that you should request the fulfill and mention the short fills.

bigman241
02-10-2011, 18:15
if it was one of the not so customer friendly shops I would walk away but I have been there twice, the first time they took 20 minutes to see if they had a bc to fit my mom. She is alittle bigger then most women and is kind of thinking about trying diving. They were the one shop that said they felt they could not meet my needs for steel 130s and recommend I go to another shop for my tanks. Which to me speaks lot about their business practices

scubadiver888
02-10-2011, 18:30
There isn't anything you can do to correct the short fill now (I assume you went diving) but you can make sure it doesn't happen again. Next time you are in getting a fill, when you get them back put your hand on the shoulder of the tank and note how warm it is. Ask if you could hang out a bit and have them check the pressure once the tanks cool down but also mention that last time you got a fill it was a little warm. By the time you got to the dive site it cooled down to 2700 PSI. It sounds like the shop is a nice shop and they just weren't thinking when they filled them. If you mention the short fill the next time you're getting a fill, they will be understanding.

vegas911diver
02-10-2011, 18:43
Leave them at the shop to be filled. Over night would be great. Then when you pick them up, have them put a pressure gauge on them. If they are below where you want them, then ask them to top them up.

Also remember that they may be being filled at room temp or higher. Take them outside and they will also drop in PSI. PSI will change not volume. PSI changes about 5psi per 1 degree of temp. 20 degrees equals 100 psi

bigman241
02-10-2011, 19:22
I knew that, I was going to drop them off and return in an hour. she said give me alittle bite and I will have you ready to go. I am sure she did not mean to do it, I can see give or take 100psi, but 200-300 is just to much.
Think I might take the second old reg we have pull the regs off and add a short hose to the spg and use it to check, or just buy my own gauge
Leave them at the shop to be filled. Over night would be great. Then when you pick them up, have them put a pressure gauge on them. If they are below where you want them, then ask them to top them up.

Also remember that they may be being filled at room temp or higher. Take them outside and they will also drop in PSI. PSI will change not volume. PSI changes about 5psi per 1 degree of temp. 20 degrees equals 100 psi

Jack Hammer
02-10-2011, 20:13
As someone who like to dive a lot I can say that buying a gauge was one of the better investments for me. I use it all the time, at the dive shop when picking up tanks, at the dive site to quickly check several different tanks, at home to tell what pressure which tank has, etc. I bring it with me and my friends use it quite a bit too. It's worth having if you dive a lot.

bigman241
02-10-2011, 21:00
I plan to, think it would be a good investment
As someone who like to dive a lot I can say that buying a gauge was one of the better investments for me. I use it all the time, at the dive shop when picking up tanks, at the dive site to quickly check several different tanks, at home to tell what pressure which tank has, etc. I bring it with me and my friends use it quite a bit too. It's worth having if you dive a lot.

WaScubaDude
02-11-2011, 13:04
I would suggest you attract bees with honey and flies with xxxt. Be nice as can be and let her know of the short (yours was only tad bit short) fill. Just ask her to fill the next ones right up full, on the shop, or at a discount you think would make you a happy enough customer to come back and recommend the shop to others. It take good communication to build good relationships. :smiley2:

bigman241
02-11-2011, 14:14
I do agree, I have no issue paying full price for the next fill, I will just say hey they were alittle low, and I am a air hog can you make sure their full. Like you said you get more with honey, I have found that to be very true
I would suggest you attract bees with honey and flies with xxxt. Be nice as can be and let her know of the short (yours was only tad bit short) fill. Just ask her to fill the next ones right up full, on the shop, or at a discount you think would make you a happy enough customer to come back and recommend the shop to others. It take good communication to build good relationships. :smiley2:

FishFood
02-11-2011, 14:25
This one is obvious... They shorted you 300psi so simply suck it down to 200psi instead of the standard 500psi. See, still get the same dive time!

*Just Kidding Folks*

Noob
02-11-2011, 15:17

I agree. Thats the route I'd take.

jbres1
02-11-2011, 15:42
Getting a cylinder with 200 or 300 psi less than you wanted is normal when you wait for the fills.
They fill them to aprox. 3,000 psi, and when they cool down they end up in the 2,700 to 2,800 range.
Drop them off a day early, and when you return ask for a top off of the cylinders.

Jim breslin

bigman241
02-11-2011, 15:43
LOL funny and bad joke, I did hit 240 on our shore dive swimming in, at 700 I was at 8 feet deep but 600 feet off shore with the wind going out, that worried me, on a deep dive I would freak out. LOL
This one is obvious... They shorted you 300psi so simply suck it down to 200psi instead of the standard 500psi. See, still get the same dive time!

*Just Kidding Folks*

WaScubaDude
02-11-2011, 21:26
LOL funny and bad joke, I did hit 240 on our shore dive swimming in, at 700 I was at 8 feet deep but 600 feet off shore with the wind going out, that worried me, on a deep dive I would freak out. LOL

Remember that you need gas for your buddy as well.

As much as I get on the "Solo Dive Soap Box", team diving really drills in the notion that you need extra gas for you and extra gas for your dive buddy to return safely.

Wouldn't you feel like a total dick if your Dad needed to share air with you but you had none, or worse you run out at depth with both of you on your tank.:smiley11::smiley11:

bigman241
02-11-2011, 21:29
I agree, it would not have happen had it not been 8 feet, with were both monitoring each others air, he knew how much I had and knew if he had a issue to surface. Any deeper and it would not have happen
Remember that you need gas for your buddy as well.

As much as I get on the "Solo Dive Soap Box", team diving really drills in the notion that you need extra gas for you and extra gas for your dive buddy to return safely.

Wouldn't you feel like a total dick if your Dad needed to share air with you but you had none, or worse you run out at depth with both of you on your tank.:smiley11::smiley11: