PDA

View Full Version : corrosion on HP hose?

rayaa3
02-11-2011, 09:30
hey guys, I bought a used Oceanic Pro Plus 2, with QD hose. It's scratched up, but just cosmetic damage - nothing I can't live with, for the price I paid anyway.

I am concerned about a little bluish green surface corrosion I see on the HP threads. I'll post a picture in a few minutes. What I'm wondering - is this level of corrosion 'normal' is it anything I need to be concerned about - do I simply need to have the hose replaced.

Also - on the computer end of the qd hose, inside the qd connection there is a small nozzle - a male end if you will, at the base of it would appear to be a small ring of black material. I can't tell if it's an o-ring...is that an o-ring in there? if so, I think it needs to be replaced. I'm looking down there and it looks like a little spec of black material has split off...

have a look at the pics, tell me what you think.

I have a dive trip in March, and can always send it in with the reg to be serviced before then...ST is really fast on these types of turn arounds. Or I can just leave the computer at home...I have another.

pictures forthcoming...

Ray

rayaa3
02-11-2011, 09:37
pictures of the threaded end, as well as the qd end....

thanks much for advise from more experienced eyes ;)

ScubaToys Larry
02-11-2011, 10:33
That's pretty nasty.... I bet his first stage is a mess if he has that type of corrosion on the top end of a HP hose!

We can soak that in the sonic cleaner, and it will blast the corrosion off, and it brass that is chrome plated, so it will probably continue to corrode, but if you rinse stuff, and not get salt water in your first stage, you should not have it looking like that again. And for the HP QD end, that is a little o-ring on that spool, and you can swap that out, and if it's leaking you should - but hard to see from the picture if it is. But if you sent it in, we could clean, replace o-rings, etc which would be a lot cheaper than a new hose.

TJDiver
02-11-2011, 11:48
That's pretty nasty.... I bet his first stage is a mess if he has that type of corrosion on the top end of a HP hose!

No kidding! That would NOT be a good feeling to disconnect a hose from your first stage and find that!

Recon
02-11-2011, 12:42
all i can say to the person you got that from is learn to rinse and properly tighten your gear / inspect o-rings for damage / over compression due to over tightening ..... and you should probably tell the person you got that from to get their crap inspected ASAP 1st stage failure... unless you are diving with a pony or a second complete 1st & 2nd stage, means buddy breathing most likely.

~Recon

WaScubaDude
02-11-2011, 12:44
pictures of the threaded end, as well as the qd end....

thanks much for advise from more experienced eyes ;)

Wow! Worst I have seen. Like others said the first stage must be trash. Most likely not just a failure to rinse (when i buy used gear, i find corrosion and patina on exterior parts all the time) but actually getting salt water in to the tank opening on the first stage.

I think Larry's method is most gentle and I would send it to them. I have used white vinegar and baking soda and a tooth brush. (keep it off plastic parts as it is said to harden plastic) I would also use emery clothe (fine sand paper) on the face. Just hold it upside down while sanding and rinse and wipe all when complete. Keep debris and water out of the pin hole.

Hope you paid $200 or less.

FoxHound
02-11-2011, 14:44
Like everyone has said, that is is really rough shape......

whoever had that, did not take care of it.

Send er to the professionals!