PDA

View Full Version : Personal Training for Military Co-op

bennerman
02-12-2011, 22:06
The Co-op program through the school is where students get to "taste-test" a career they want to join so they know if they actually want to do it or not. The military co-op is basically the same thing. However, it involves physical training, physical testing, soldiers pay, and two weekends through the semester where you get to stay up for 72 hours straight in simulated combat/battlefield situations (gooooood times).

The physical requirements are the same for this program as they are for actual military enlistment. at my age, I must be able to do:
-Do 19 pushups
-Do 19 sit-ups
-Run 2.4km in under 12 minutes

The purpose of this thread is for me to display my weekly progress. To do this, I am recording how well I do in 7 exercises (plus my weight and the date) on paper, and then scanning it weekly to assess progress. The exercises are:
-# of Push-ups that I can do at once
-# of Sit-ups I can do at once
-Furthest I can bike in one sitting (in km)
-2.4km running (or, as per my baseline thus far, how far I can actually make it, and how long it took for me to get there)
-Amount I can bench press (in lbs, and how many reps I can do).
-Amount of bicep curls I can do (in lbs, and how many reps I can do).
-# of reps I can do on the Lat Machine at 50lbs (the max)

If anyone see me lagging behind, feel free to shout at me, otherwise this is just to display my progress to the world. I am have 5 of them done, just have to do lat work-outs and biking and I will get back to y'all with my starting stats

UCFKnightDiver
02-12-2011, 22:36
so, what are your baseline numbers?

Vercingetorix
02-12-2011, 23:02
Good luck. Sounds like a nice challenge and fun. I was in the USAF for ten years, and I would go back in a heartbeat if they accepted old farts.

bennerman
02-12-2011, 23:17
Bike Riding is being switched to "# of smokes". I can ride the bike indefinitely, so there really isn't any progress to record. If I record the number of smokes in a day, I can note progress towards quitting.

February 12, 2011

Weight: 276lbs
Pushups: 7
Situps: 10
Curls: 15 at 50lbs
Running: 0.37km. 03:53. Quit due to chest pains
Number of Smokes: 8
Bench Press: 13 at 70lbs
Lat Machine: 50 at 50lbs

I am also on a diet starting a week from now. Switching to deli meat sandwiches from 3 packages of ramen noodles for lunch every day, as the most major example I can think of. Going to try and follow Canada's Foodguide.

bfmorgan
02-13-2011, 06:59
Good luck! Don't expect instant success....it will take a couple of weeks to begin seeing major progress, but it will.

Vercingetorix
02-13-2011, 07:04
Running: 0.37km. 03:53. Quit due to chest pains

That sounds familiar. When I started jogging, I quit at 1/8 mile because of the pains. Within a three weeks, I was jogging 3 miles with just a bit of heavy breathing and no pains.

Bottom line: like bfmorgan says, you'll soon see the results you're looking to achieve. Stay at it. We're pulling for you.

scubastud
02-13-2011, 07:07
Go Benny Go!

FoxHound
02-13-2011, 09:12
The Co-op program through the school is where students get to "taste-test" a career they want to join so they know if they actually want to do it or not. The military co-op is basically the same thing. However, it involves physical training, physical testing, soldiers pay, and two weekends through the semester where you get to stay up for 72 hours straight in simulated combat/battlefield situations (gooooood times).

The physical requirements are the same for this program as they are for actual military enlistment. at my age, I must be able to do:
-Do 19 pushups
-Do 19 sit-ups
-Run 2.4km in under 12 minutes

The purpose of this thread is for me to display my weekly progress. To do this, I am recording how well I do in 7 exercises (plus my weight and the date) on paper, and then scanning it weekly to assess progress. The exercises are:
-# of Push-ups that I can do at once
-# of Sit-ups I can do at once
-Furthest I can bike in one sitting (in km)
-2.4km running (or, as per my baseline thus far, how far I can actually make it, and how long it took for me to get there)
-Amount I can bench press (in lbs, and how many reps I can do).
-Amount of bicep curls I can do (in lbs, and how many reps I can do).
-# of reps I can do on the Lat Machine at 50lbs (the max)

If anyone see me lagging behind, feel free to shout at me, otherwise this is just to display my progress to the world. I am have 5 of them done, just have to do lat work-outs and biking and I will get back to y'all with my starting stats

Hey Bennerman, good on ya for wanting to do the co-op. Funny thing is, just last week I had to do the Canadian Forces express test for this year....a whole week after being back to work after getting home from afghanistan haha.

So just some friendly pieces of advise: First off is the diet.....just remember to not starve yourself.....food is not always the enemy.... quantity, type, and how its cooked are the huge factors. Second is on the running. Make sure to pace yourself, if you find you cant keep going try starting with a slower pace and work yourself up. Next, make sure you are doing different exercises at the gym each time....you dont want to work the same muscle groups over and over again and neglect other.

Also, if you want, check out crossfit. There are a ton of us military guys that use crossfit to train. It combines strength, agility, and cardio all into one session and it gets results if you keep at it.

Oh and the 72 hour sleep deprivation is fun.....i remember yelling password challenges to a tree that i thought was coming at our defensive....hahaha

If you ever want some help with anything, just let me know, id be more then happy to help you out with anything ya need for training

Keep at er!

Vercingetorix
02-13-2011, 09:46
Oh and the 72 hour sleep deprivation is fun.....i remember yelling password challenges to a tree that i thought was coming at our defensive....hahaha

If you heard the tree respond to your challenge with a pass phrase, then there would be some concern.

Lake Michijim
02-13-2011, 11:34
Long ago, before you were invented, and I was you age, we had higher physical requirements just to make it through PE in High School. Things sure have slid. But, congrats on looking at military service. Keep chipping away at it. Personally if it were me, I would consult my doctor on diet. I would also go cold turkey on the smokes. Cutting back never ever works. You need to develop discipline anyway and that's a perfect place to start. Not to mention it will save you a load of cash these days.

bennerman
02-13-2011, 12:04
Long ago, before you were invented, and I was you age, we had higher physical requirements just to make it through PE in High School. Things sure have slid. But, congrats on looking at military service. Keep chipping away at it. Personally if it were me, I would consult my doctor on diet. I would also go cold turkey on the smokes. Cutting back never ever works. You need to develop discipline anyway and that's a perfect place to start. Not to mention it will save you a load of cash these days.

In the pit at school, got 3 regular size smokes for $1.50, it really is expensive. Anyways, I just saw a dietician Friday, and she put me on this diet.

Davetowz
02-13-2011, 17:48
If you heard the tree respond to your challenge with a pass phrase, then there would be some concern.
BTDT>

Vercingetorix
02-13-2011, 18:03
BTDT>

Did the tree bark at you? Ha. Ha. Get it? "Bark" at you. Like a dog barks. Only it's a tree and it has bark.

//Sometimes, I just kill me...

FoxHound
02-13-2011, 18:20
Did the tree bark at you? Ha. Ha. Get it? "Bark" at you. Like a dog barks. Only it's a tree and it has bark.

//Sometimes, I just kill me...

Funny guy with the jokes lol

Straegen
02-13-2011, 20:41
8 minute mile is a good benchmark. I would have expected situps to be much higher and not sure why you are measuring the bench press. Pretty much a show and little go. Everything else looks good. Mix in the lunge and plank for a full body exercise.

Good luck!

bennerman
02-13-2011, 22:42
Good general overall improvement. Though weight is up and bench press is down a little:

February 13, 2011
Weight: 280lbs (up 3lbs :( )
Push-ups: 11 (3 more than yesterday)
Sit-up: 14 (4 more than yesterday)
Running: 0.80km in 08:20 (see below)
Smokes: lost count (based on certain circumstances, today is a write-off to this capacity)
Bench Press: 12 reps at 80lbs (1 less than yesterday but 10lbs more)
Lat Machine: 58 (up 8 from yesterday :O )

Yesterday, I started out slow, then ramped it up way too fast on the treadmill. By going at a very fast walking pace, I was able to get the roughly the same speed (half a meter per minute faster, technically). so there you go :p

bfmorgan
02-14-2011, 07:15
Weight always seems to go up for a few days if you are working out and working out at a level that will produce results. Excellent start!

UCFKnightDiver
02-14-2011, 09:52
Good general overall improvement. Though weight is up and bench press is down a little:

February 13, 2011
Weight: 280lbs (up 3lbs :( )
Push-ups: 11 (3 more than yesterday)
Sit-up: 14 (4 more than yesterday)
Running: 0.80km in 08:20 (see below)
Smokes: lost count (based on certain circumstances, today is a write-off to this capacity)
Bench Press: 12 reps at 70lbs (1 less than yesterday :( )
Lat Machine: 58 (up 8 from yesterday :O )

Yesterday, I started out slow, then ramped it up way too fast on the treadmill. By going at a very fast walking pace, I was able to get the roughly the same speed (half a meter per minute faster, technically). so there you go :p

Are you doing as many reps as you can at 70 lbs or... I was confused by your first post, if I may make a suggestion I would do as much weight as you can for your bench press for 10 reps. I usually do 3 sets of 10 reps for my workout.

SlvrDragon50
02-14-2011, 10:53
3 sets of 10 is a good work out

Are you doing an entire work out or just those exercises?

bennerman
02-14-2011, 12:03
3 sets of 10 is a good work out

Are you doing an entire work out or just those exercises?

I am knocking off roughly 20lbs on the curls and bench presses, and doing about 60 reps total of each. This is just to show how much I can do if I push myself to the absolute max

bennerman
02-14-2011, 13:29
Update: When looking at my weights this morning, I did not have 70lbs on the bench press yesterday, I had 80lbs. So I made an improvement afterall

bennerman
02-14-2011, 18:03
I found a sparring partner, my brother got too mouthy one too many times

UCFKnightDiver
02-14-2011, 19:30
Update: When looking at my weights this morning, I did not have 70lbs on the bench press yesterday, I had 80lbs. So I made an improvement afterall

If you're doing 12 reps at 80 lbs up the weight more so you can just barely pump out 10 reps

bennerman
02-14-2011, 20:39
If you're doing 12 reps at 80 lbs up the weight more so you can just barely pump out 10 reps

the increments are 10, 15, and 25. the next step up is 100lbs, and my mom wouldn't be strong enough to spot me

bfmorgan
02-15-2011, 07:47
I have not heard you complaining about being sore. I would think you should be feeling a little bit of soreness. An important fact to remember.....this will not be an overnight event. It requires a long term lifestyle change. So increase the weights slowly, vary the workouts to keep the muscles confused, and rox has excellent advice: 10-12 reps max, 3 sets. That means any exercise should not exceed 30-36 reps.

Keep it up! The third-fifth day is when lots of people quit! We are all cheering for you!

bennerman
02-15-2011, 15:01
I have not heard you complaining about being sore. I would think you should be feeling a little bit of soreness. An important fact to remember.....this will not be an overnight event. It requires a long term lifestyle strange. So increase the weights slowly, vary the workouts to keep the muscles confused, and rox has excellent advice: 10-12 reps max, 3 sets. That means any exercise should not exceed 30-36 reps.

Keep it up! The third-fifth day is when lots of people quit! We are all cheering for you!

I have been sore, I just realised that complaining don't fix anything. if it would make you feel better, I will though ;P

bfmorgan
02-15-2011, 15:18
I have been sore, I just realised that complaining don't fix anything. if it would make you feel better, I will though ;P
I was concerned that you may be doing too many reps with too heavy a weight. I know Canadians are tough, but I didn't want you to be in tons of pain because you are trying to progress too quickly.

Also consider working the same set of muscles every other day. This will allow the muscles time to repair themselves and get stronger. So do upper body one day, lower body the next day.

Straegen
02-15-2011, 17:36
I was concerned that you may be doing too many reps with too heavy a weight. I know Canadians are tough, but I didn't want you to be in tons of pain because you are trying to progress too quickly.

Also consider working the same set of muscles every other day. This will allow the muscles time to repair themselves and get stronger. So do upper body one day, lower body the next day.

Not only in pain but repetitive stress injuries are far more common without quality rest between exercises. Back when I boxed, it was considered necessary to skip every third day from lifting. Now I am a firm believer in completely skipping static weight building altogether. All about the core and full motion exercises.

FoxHound
02-15-2011, 19:43
Not only in pain but repetitive stress injuries are far more common without quality rest between exercises. Back when I boxed, it was considered necessary to skip every third day from lifting. Now I am a firm believer in completely skipping static weight building altogether. All about the core and full motion exercises.

Same here, and this is where the military has really moved to as well, lots of crosstraining, crossfit, cardio and plyometric workouts

bennerman
02-17-2011, 22:05
Tuesday and Wednesday were break days for me. Anyways, I can now do enough sit-ups to qualify for the co-op, and every one of my categories gained an astounding improvement

February 17th, 2011
Weight 274lbs (3 less than Monday)
Pushups: 16 (4 more than Monday)
Sit Ups: 19 (4 more than Monday)
Curls: 21 at 50lbs (5 more than Monday)
Bench Press: 16 at 80lbs (3 more than Monday)
Lat Machine: 70 at 50lbs (8 more than Monday)

Vercingetorix
02-18-2011, 05:48
Nice progress b-meister.!!!! How's your running?

bennerman
02-18-2011, 06:59
Nice progress b-meister.!!!! How's your running?

I was limitted on time last night so didn't have a chance

bfmorgan
02-18-2011, 09:20
Congratulations....that is excellent progress in one week!

Lake Michijim
02-18-2011, 16:57
14 more push ups and 11 more sit ups and you can qualify for my freshman high school gym class. That would save you from running laps for the rest of the period. LOL We didn't have machines, just raw power. We did relays in stead like the human wheelbarrow. Some of my class mates were 250 plus and that was a major problem for them. I tossed bales of hay in summer that were upwards of 90 pounds a piece. Really worked your core, shoulders and arms. By the time September rolled around gym class was cake.

bennerman
02-19-2011, 15:57
As of today, I can do 19 pushups. Therefore, the requirements of "do 19 pushups" and "do 19 situps" are complete. As much as I would like to say "yay, 2 out of 4 goals, I am half way done", increasing my combined grip to 75kg and almost doubling my speed and tripling my distance are going to be the hardest parts.

UCFKnightDiver
02-19-2011, 21:56
This lat machine you're talking about, is it a lat pull down you're doing?

bennerman
02-19-2011, 22:48
This lat machine you're talking about, is it a lat pull down you're doing?

yep. I also do it forwards for bicep and wrist (whatever muscle that is) exercises, but I just recorded the lats.

On another note, am I supposed to be ravenously hungry after I start hardcore exercising? o.o

UCFKnightDiver
02-20-2011, 10:18
yep. I also do it forwards for bicep and wrist (whatever muscle that is) exercises, but I just recorded the lats.

On another note, am I supposed to be ravenously hungry after I start hardcore exercising? o.o

It has a max weight of 50? That's kind of weird.

bennerman
02-20-2011, 11:22
It has a max weight of 50? That's kind of weird.

that's because of the size of the weights in relation to the actual rod you put them on. If I can get bigger weights that are roughly the same thickness, I could make it heavier.

Lake Michijim
03-05-2011, 16:55
So Bennerman, hows your training going? Do I need to come up to Ontario and be your DI? Trust me, you don't want that! Drop those cigarettes and give me twenty!!! I don't expect you to do anything I can't do. In other words, your screwed! Ha!

Jim

bennerman
03-05-2011, 19:31
So Bennerman, hows your training going? Do I need to come up to Ontario and be your DI? Trust me, you don't want that! Drop those cigarettes and give me twenty!!! I don't expect you to do anything I can't do. In other words, your screwed! Ha!

Jim

I quit for a week, gained 5lbs. I then exercised ONCE the other day and lost all that weight. It ain't holding on for dear life anymore, just gotta keep at it. Was about to exercise tonight actually. Anyways, I am quitting smoking after the convention

Lake Michijim
03-06-2011, 08:41
Stick at it man. If nothing else do it for yourself. You can do this!

Jim

bennerman
04-01-2011, 20:34
Co-op got cancelled Dx

bennerman
06-10-2012, 15:11
Figured I'd just resurrect my old thread instead of starting a new one. If I were to have pizza tonight, would I eat it before strength training, so the proteins, carbs, and fats are already in my body, or afterwards, so they are absorbed as my body is recovering?

FoxHound
06-11-2012, 08:14
Protiens are best asorbed within 30 min of the end of your workout.

Imho your most ideal post workout is either some chocolate milk, or a protien mix like bsn's syntha 6......leave the pizza, too much saturated and transfats.....there are much better things to have.