PDA

View Full Version : the most important thing a diver can learn

bigman241
02-13-2011, 22:03
This has shook me to my core since it happen, I think it is the most important thing a diver learns.
We did a shore dive last Tuesday in ftlauderdale(I did a report on it) a great dive with a nearly going to the 1/2 miles bouy off the beach aswell.

The next day my dad and I returned(I do not think I did a report on it) we got to the beach with some wind from the east, I looked at the surf and thought "I am not sure this is a good idea" I should have listen and never pulled the tank out. We geared up and I was the first to head down. Plan was I would enter the beach and wait in chest deep water for my dad, and the guy we meant the day before.

I got in the water thinking not sure this is a good idea, but once we are down were good to go.
Here is were the fun starts. I got to my lower calf, and anyone who has swimmed or dove dature av knows you walk a ways out to get to chest deep water.

When I got to my knees I took a wave and rolled over fully geared up:smiley36::smiley13::smilie39::smiley9::smiley19 :
It would have made for a good video :smiley9:

I tried to get up could not(al80,38 pounds, bc and such) I rolled over and pushed out into deeper water and stood up. By this time my dad was in the water and I tried to put my fins on and got that done. every time I got out alittle the waves tossed me over and back to shore.

I called the dive and walked out removing my gear and dam near killing over.

It hit me then the most important thing to diving is knowing when to call it. I told my dad and the other guy to go out, and my dad said we could fill the tanks and all go back out later, I was not going for it.

Just to much risk and to much trouble

In the end I was glad to make the choice to call it, when I washed my gear the inflator was packed full of sand and would not work, I had to take it off and flush it. IF I made it out I would have not been able to descend

SEMO Scuba
02-14-2011, 21:04
To me, the most important is knowing YOUR abilities, and then not exceeding them.

Smashee
02-14-2011, 21:18
To me, the most important is knowing YOUR abilities, and then not exceeding them.

+1.

As my mentor told me, "You're never as good as you think you are. Neither am I."

Straegen
02-15-2011, 06:25
Rule number one from my instructor... know when to call a dive. Rule number two... dive within your limits (training, ability, experience) and leave some room for error.

cyclone3565
02-15-2011, 07:42
Personal limitation, don't dive outside of your training and experience. Shore Diving can be very tricky. Calling a dive is every divers right, and should never be admonished. I think we have all called one at some point or another.

Scuba Pete
02-15-2011, 07:54
Just remember: Any diver can call any dive at any moment for any reason without fear of being ostracized. That was one of the most important lessons I took away from my cave class.

Lake Michijim
02-16-2011, 16:06
When the fecal matter blows through the rotating ocelator, don't panic. STOP, think, then react. Work the problem.

IndyDiver
02-16-2011, 16:40
When the fecal matter blows through the rotating ocelator, don't panic. STOP, think, then react. Work the problem.

Ah, but when the defication hits the rotary cooling device; that's a whole 'nother story!

Seriously, learning to call a dive just because it dosn't FEEL right is a lesson some people never learn. Good observation, Big.

fire diver
02-16-2011, 17:02
Anyone can call the dive for any reason.

A wise diver is one who isn't afraid to NOT dive.

Glad to see you in that group!

bigman241
02-17-2011, 16:55
I think it would have went bad if i did the dive, to muh over working my buddy, the sand in the inflator and just to much waves
Anyone can call the dive for any reason.

A wise diver is one who isn't afraid to NOT dive.

Glad to see you in that group!

cgvmer
02-18-2011, 08:25
This is one of the lessons I have taken to heart and have pushed on my children when we dive. I was the proudest when my daughter got on a boat with me, did one dive then during the SI turned and told me she didn't feel like diving (3-5foot seas were pushing many over the edge). My first response was ...No problem... 2nd was what's wrong.

Lake Michijim
02-18-2011, 17:04
Seriously, learning to call a dive just because it dosn't FEEL right is a lesson some people never learn. Good observation, Big.

That's about #7 after don't hold your breath.

bigman241
02-18-2011, 18:01
ya mistakes happen for many reasons, many reasons to call a dive, like live in general some do not know when to say no, I have learned that a few ways, some never do. My brother never seems to, the thing with diving is a ohh well it will be ok can get you or worst your buddy killed

That's about #7 after don't hold your breath.