PDA

View Full Version : What would be your perfect second week to add to the Truk Odyssey?

Lulubelle
02-19-2011, 15:47
I know a number of you have been to Truk. Looks like I am heading that way. What is your recommendation for a week 2? I think the consensus is that after being on a boat for a week,our preference is a land based dive experience at one or more locations. I don't know that neck of the woods well and could use your help.

chinacat46
02-19-2011, 17:55
That's pretty easy go to Palau after or before Truk.

Lulubelle
02-20-2011, 09:31
That's pretty easy go to Palau after or before Truk.

That much I had assumed. But what place, land or liveaboard, would you do it before Truk or after, how do you get from one to the other without having to sit around offgassing in a place without much to do, etc. Not that I found it a problem to sit around in Little Cayman watching paint dry after the dives.

Did you dive Truk within rec limits? Those are some deep dives....not sure what sort of gas mixes they have available on the boat or whether or not I want to pursue some advanced gas training before the trip.

chinacat46
02-20-2011, 09:58
When I went I did Yap first(land based) then I went to Palau and did the Aggressor. They have it figured out so the last day you snorkel jellyfish lake and then do a shallow dive in Chandlier Cave which allows you to fly that very night(flight was around 1am IIRC). You fly to Guam and get a day room then fly to Truk where you should be able to board the boat. Back then I did the Truk Aggressor which is no more but I believe the Odyssey has a similar schedule. I prefer doing Palau from a live aboard as you are on the dive sites first where the day boats come and crowd things up. There are a few live aboards to choose from in Palau.

When I did Truk all the dives were in rec limits and I dove nitrox. There are plenty of wrecks to dive so if you don't want to do deco dives you don't have to.

Lulubelle
02-20-2011, 10:02
I have only done one liveaboard (loved it). I'm wondering how it will feel to do two of them back to back as you describe.

I think we will be limited to two weeks. So you would choose Palau I take it over Yap?

Do you think it will work better to do Palau first, then Truk, or does it really matter?

chinacat46
02-20-2011, 10:15
I think it would be better to do Palau first as the logistics of flying after diving work better. Yap is okay but Palau is so much better so don't bother if you don't have the time. If you enjoyed doing a live aboard you will love doing two back to back. You are off a boat for about a day or so if that matters to you. You will be able to spend some time in Palau on land and you don't want to spend any time on land in Truk if you can avoid it. Truk is a real armpit.