PDA

View Full Version : How many Nikonos Users are Still Around

BobArnold8265
09-14-2007, 21:57
I'm just curious. How many of you folks are still shooting with your Nikonos ? Seems like the world has gone almost completely digital. I have both a Nikonos V and a digital set-up (Olympus C8080/Ikelite housing). I have an Ikelite DS-125 strobe which works with both.

When traveling light, I take the Nikonos. It might have a few years on it but still takes great pictures. It's smaller and lighter than my digital set-up. I still believe you get sharper, more natural looking pictures with a film camera but I'm sure there are many out there that would debate me on that.

It's hard to beat digital when it comes to flexibility (zoom lens, instant preview etc) plus you get a nearly unlimited number of shots. Can't tell you how many times I ran out of film after just a few minutes into a dive.

Aussie
09-15-2007, 08:06
I'm just curious. How many of you folks are still shooting with your Nikonos ? Seems like the world has gone almost completely digital. I have both a Nikonos V and a digital set-up (Olympus C8080/Ikelite housing). I have an Ikelite DS-125 strobe which works with both.

When traveling light, I take the Nikonos. It might have a few years on it but still takes great pictures. It's smaller and lighter than my digital set-up. I still believe you get sharper, more natural looking pictures with a film camera but I'm sure there are many out there that would debate me on that.

It's hard to beat digital when it comes to flexibility (zoom lens, instant preview etc) plus you get a nearly unlimited number of shots. Can't tell you how many times I ran out of film after just a few minutes into a dive.

G'day Bob,

I know of three friends that have Nikonos of different models. They still use them and enjoy the results. Especially when used with the macro lens and the focusing arms. Just line your shot up between the arms for perfect focus.

I read an article in a dive magazine the other week and it was about a professional still using 35mm. Telling how all his 36 shots were perfectly planed, exposed, etc etc and how Digital photographers just shoot and then play with photoshop. First thing that came to mind if the same photographer used a DSLR that he too can pull off the same type of pictures but with a huge amount of shots available from his memory card/s. 36 compare to 521 (my 4 gb SD card takes that many shots in largest Jpeg).

Aussie

BobArnold8265
09-15-2007, 21:33
Certainly planing your shots is always a good idea but certainly even more critical when you only have 36 shots. Generally, the critters that you are shooting tend to move a bit and that aren't always aware of what you consider to be their best pose. Digital certainly has the advantage there. Plus you can see your results instantly to make sure you got what you wanted.

I have to admit that I have struggled shooting macro with my digital set-up. The auto focus doesn't work that well really close in and manual focus using a housing is a bit cumbersome. The Nikonos close up lenses certainly made things fool proof. It was a bit bulk though.

dbh
09-17-2007, 20:22
Actually, I find shooting macro easier with digital. How many critters that move can you shoot with the Nikonos "goal posts"?? The key with digital is a good focusing light.

Back in my Nikonos days, I shot 36 pics on a night dive (T&C Aggressor), surfaced with over 1/2 tank, reloaded and jumped back in (never even took my tank off). I don't miss that a bit. I use an 8 GB CF card in my D200 :-)

Dave

Aussie
09-17-2007, 22:58
I rarely use the modeling lights in my DS125's it sucks the power out of the battery. I have no problem focusing with my 60mm Nikkor lens.

Aussie

Mycroft
07-15-2008, 13:24
Me for one. My Dive buddy for another. When they pry film out of my cold dead hands....

Aussie
07-15-2008, 13:35
I got one 45min dive in last with with my DSLR. 210 shots with alot of keepers. :smiley2:

Aussie