PDA

View Full Version : dam oil

bigman241
02-21-2011, 20:25
Scientist finds Gulf bottom still oily, dead - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sci_oil_spill_lingers), everytime I get wet in florida I wonder where did the oil go, well it went yeap you guessed it NO WHERE BUT DOWN out of site of the beach goers :smiley19::smiley19::smiley19::smiley21::smiley21: :smiley21::smiley21:

Splitlip
02-21-2011, 20:37
But Hey. Rush said that is natural.

Rush Limbaugh: Oil Spill Is Natural - Justin Gardner - Political Pulse - True/Slant (http://trueslant.com/justingardner/2010/05/02/rush-limbaugh-oil-spill-is-natural/)

Douche.

Straegen
02-22-2011, 08:46
This is the difference between a consumer and conservationist. Rush is a consumer and believes we will always find a way to maintain our consumption rates regardless of the damage that is done around it. He believes the free market and our ingenuity will always come through to find a way out of any messes we create.

bigman241
02-22-2011, 09:05
I am all for consuming, just we need to protect our world, I see nothing natural about oil, water and chemicals fighting one another cause they do not mix
This is the difference between a consumer and conservationist. Rush is a consumer and believes we will always find a way to maintain our consumption rates regardless of the damage that is done around it. He believes the free market and our ingenuity will always come through to find a way out of any messes we create.

TJDiver
02-22-2011, 09:40
But Hey. Rush said that is natural.

Rush Limbaugh: Oil Spill Is Natural - Justin Gardner - Political Pulse - True/Slant (http://trueslant.com/justingardner/2010/05/02/rush-limbaugh-oil-spill-is-natural/)

Douche.

I agree Limbaugh is a douche, but oil does naturally seep from the ocean floor. In fact, researchers estimate that as much as 500,000 barrels of oil naturally seep into the Gulf of Mexico each year.

Splitlip
02-22-2011, 11:48
I understand. Fewer than two weeks into the event however when rush made his remark, over 500,000 barrels had already erupted from that one location.

Yes he's a douche.
Rush Limbaugh Quotes - Stupid Rush Limbaugh Quotes (http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/rushlimbaugh/a/limbaughquotes.htm)

TJDiver
02-22-2011, 12:20
I understand. Fewer than two weeks into the event however when rush made his remark, over 500,000 barrels had already erupted from that one location.

Yes he's a douche.
Rush Limbaugh Quotes - Stupid Rush Limbaugh Quotes (http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/rushlimbaugh/a/limbaughquotes.htm)

Oh, I know. I can't stand to listen to him for any amount of time. I was gonna call him an idiot, but he's not really stupid...the crap he spews is what keeps him rolling in the $$, and he has admitted as much. I guess some people can do about anything for money...I'm not one of them.

What led me to look into the natural oil seepage was back when he first made those comments, and I read from other sources that oil does indeed seep naturally from the ocean floor. I was really surprised to find just how much oil naturally seeps into the ocean. There was also an interesting tidbit of trivia in one of the articles I read back then...members of DeSoto's explorers actually used tar balls found on the beaches to caulk their ships way back when. Go figure.

bigman241
02-22-2011, 13:02
Not to pull this off the topic and on worthless politics, but here is the issue I see with politics and politicians, people say, do, and are ok with what ever fits there needs, agenda, and wants. I am on the local planning commission and the local dems are pushing a dem out because he is listed as a rep but voted as a democrat, but have been ok with it for 5 years.

Everyone is ok with something as it fits them but when it does not fit them they want it gone. My issue with rush, though I agree with alot of his views, is that he just goes to far to the right and is more a republican then a conservative. YES THERE IS A DIFF

TJDiver
02-22-2011, 13:17
A good many people behave like that, Big...and, it's definitely not limited to politics.

Limbaugh is the media equivalent of a forum troll, and has freely admitted in an interview that much of what he says is just done to drive ratings...just gives his followers what they want to hear, and makes big money off it. Of course, that's true with many TV and radio personalities, but it's sometimes frightening to watch just how rabid Limbaugh's followers can become.

Straegen
02-22-2011, 13:22
ditto

cgvmer
02-22-2011, 14:42
I am still looking for the report from a couple months ago, that the oil industry announced all the oil eaten by microbes.... When I read it I thought it was bunk, now this proves it.

bigman241
02-22-2011, 18:56
for cgvmer
Another guy paid with a fund from bp said the microbes were working real quick, just that his study saying the oil was near gone was on a small area, where the one I posted was on a very large area in diff places. MMM which is a better study the small one or the large one over large plots of sea floor.
Kind of like me saying my back yard has 100 million of gold in it, based on the 10 ounces I found in a freshly filled holes, where yours says my land is worthless because there is no gold in over 25% of my ground

bennerman
02-22-2011, 19:01
I am all for consuming, just we need to protect our world, I see nothing natural about oil, water and chemicals fighting one another cause they do not mix

to be fair, oil occurs naturally (it was caused by the decomposition of the dinosaurs* that never existed :smiley36:)

* = IIRC

bigman241
02-22-2011, 19:02
I know this will get me bite but here goes, this is why I like glen beck:spyme::anim_kill::anim_kill:

He is a conservative and makes good points, sure he has is crazy boards, crazy picture tress but makes alot of sense with some no sense, I honestly think he cares about this country and it's people not just him and the right.
Alot of people say he is just following fox, he spoke about all this stuff on the left wing news station and no one had a issue then, YES I WATCHED HIM THEN.

OHH I FOUND A FIX FOR THIS CRAP
I announcing I am running for the office of president of the united states and would like your support :smiley31::smiley31::smiley31::smiley31::smiley31: :smiley_salute::smiley_salute::smiley_salute:

I think I need a VP who wants the job, :smiley20:

bigman241
02-22-2011, 19:04
I know it is natural just that it does not and will not mix with water, ever seen a engine drained of oil when it has water in it. There is always a white souppy mess on the bottom. This is why oil and gas both float on water thus why water is bad for a gas or oil fire.
to be fair, oil occurs naturally (it was caused by the decomposition of the dinosaurs* that never existed :smiley36:)

* = IIRC

Straegen
02-22-2011, 19:23
Little Rush news... this guy

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/rush%20limbaugh.jpg

said "The problem is - and dare I say this? - it doesn't look like Michelle Obama follows her own nutritionary, dietary advice ... I'm trying to say that our first lady does not project the image of women that you might see on the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue."

about her

http://www.feministe.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sotu-dress1.jpg

bigman241
02-22-2011, 19:59
I saw that online today, kind of like obama's 3 pack a day cig habit, I have not seen to much push against the tobacco companies of late.
Little Rush news... this guy

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/rush%20limbaugh.jpg

said "The problem is - and dare I say this? - it doesn't look like Michelle Obama follows her own nutritionary, dietary advice ... I'm trying to say that our first lady does not project the image of women that you might see on the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue."

about her

http://www.feministe.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sotu-dress1.jpg

Straegen
02-23-2011, 11:09
I saw that online today, kind of like obama's 3 pack a day cig habit, I have not seen to much push against the tobacco companies of late.

Obama quit smoking. His wife reports it has been almost a year now. Besides anti-tobacco advocates don't need any help. They have passed major legislation in virtually every state banning smoking in a variety of venues as well as controlling how advertising for the product can be done on a federal level.

FishFood
02-23-2011, 13:50
I know it is natural just that it does not and will not mix with water, ever seen a engine drained of oil when it has water in it. There is always a white souppy mess on the bottom. This is why oil and gas both float on water thus why water is bad for a gas or oil fire.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Burnt, refined oil is not crude oil. While the two are immiscible, oil generally disperses very well in water. And, thanks to the very large amounts of natural seepage, bacteria in the gulf have gotten very proficient at eating oil. Oil and water do 'mix' quite well...

... Just obviously not in these concentrations. However, I don't think there is anything startling about this article. Im not sure if anyone actually read the article or just saw a place for quite political jabs. Yes there's oil on the bottom, and yes there are dead patches. Im sure we all expected that. I'd also be willing to bet the 'oily dead' parts pale in comparison to the dead zone at the mouth of the Mississippi caused from over fertilization... Which no one still seems to care about.

Oil in this concentration will take time to be eaten by the bacteria. The little guys can only eat so much after all. As for the dead critters, the gulf will stabilize and begin to rebuild as it already is doing.

bigman241
02-23-2011, 17:10
might be so but would you drink a cup of water with a drop of crude in it?
You're comparing apples and oranges here. Burnt, refined oil is not crude oil. While the two are immiscible, oil generally disperses very well in water. And, thanks to the very large amounts of natural seepage, bacteria in the gulf have gotten very proficient at eating oil. Oil and water do 'mix' quite well...

... Just obviously not in these concentrations. However, I don't think there is anything startling about this article. Im not sure if anyone actually read the article or just saw a place for quite political jabs. Yes there's oil on the bottom, and yes there are dead patches. Im sure we all expected that. I'd also be willing to bet the 'oily dead' parts pale in comparison to the dead zone at the mouth of the Mississippi caused from over fertilization... Which no one still seems to care about.

Oil in this concentration will take time to be eaten by the bacteria. The little guys can only eat so much after all. As for the dead critters, the gulf will stabilize and begin to rebuild as it already is doing.

bigman241
02-23-2011, 17:11
Ohh I thought the white house guy said the other day he had just stopped. I hate smoking, hate it around me, and think no one should do it. I have even said they should ban it a few times, I just have concerns over the well this is ok then lets go to fat,then well can not drink pop, to ohh well gas is bad to
Obama quit smoking. His wife reports it has been almost a year now. Besides anti-tobacco advocates don't need any help. They have passed major legislation in virtually every state banning smoking in a variety of venues as well as controlling how advertising for the product can be done on a federal level.

bennerman
02-23-2011, 17:15

there already is crude in the water. As before, it has been digested by bacteria. however, it is substantially, substantially SUBSTANTIALLY less than a drop per cup. I would call it more like 2 parts per million, possibly per billion at the most

FishFood
02-23-2011, 19:12

Not even close to the same concentration.

hen well can not drink pop,

You live in Florida. Never, EVER say pop again. :)

bigman241
02-24-2011, 07:15
I know it is far less my point was would you drink a glass if water if someone dropped a drop of oil in it
Not even close to the same concentration.

You live in Florida. Never, EVER say pop again. :)

cgvmer
02-24-2011, 07:44
actually, I have. Crude my upset your stomach but by itself it is not toxic. That being said, the real issue is not the overall concentration, but the fact that large areas of the gulf have had catastrophic consequences to the local environment.

Yes it is naturally occurring, Yes it leaks all the time from the hundreds(Thousands?) of well in the gulf, but these small effectively minuscule amounts are handled by the environment. When you dump what amounts to hundreds of years of normal spillage in a short time period the naturally occurring mechanisms that have been handling this become overwhelmed and collapse.

As for the ever present nitrogen bloom at the outflow of the big Miss....that will require each of the States bordering the Mississippi take harsh action against their local farmers (or in reality big corporate farms) ...

Straegen
02-24-2011, 09:16
The final tally on the damage is still to be seen despite very positive improvements. I had to calm down those as it was happening that were saying life as we know it in the gulf was doomed, but now it seems we have to insist that there still is fallout from the incident. Life is linked and we will probably see increased deformities and the like in gulf sea life for decades. Those who eat directly from the gulf or are 2-3 rungs up the food chain will likely see problems as well.

Splitlip
02-24-2011, 17:47
The final tally on the damage is still to be seen despite very positive improvements. I had to calm down those when as it was happening saying life as we know it in the gulf was doomed, but now it seems we have to insist that there still is fallout from the incident. Life is linked and we will probably see increased deformities and the like in gulf sea life for decades. Those who eat directly from the gulf or are 2-3 rungs up the food chain will likely see problems as well.

saw this

Dolphin Deaths In Gulf Region Spike, Probably Because Of That Massive Oil Spill That Happened (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/22/dolphin-deaths-in-gulf-region-spike-due-to-oil-spill_n_826539.html)