PDA

View Full Version : Lack of fitness

danielh03
09-15-2007, 07:25
I lost two people in my dive class due to lack of fitness. They could not get into a wet suit without overheating, and swam much slower than the rest of the class. The instructor was really nice about it and explained to them that if they were not fit then diving was something that surely could cost them their lives. He was kind enough to refund the cost of the class even though we were well into it. Just goes to show that you have to stay fit to enjoy the sport.

wxboy911
09-15-2007, 07:44
I always saw fitness a way to be a better diver and live longer. Longer life=more diving!

kingfish
09-15-2007, 08:17
That was good of him to give a refund.
I realised how unfit i had become when i took the ow class....especially the swimming.
As a kid at school i would swim laps like a fish...cant remember ever really getting puffed.
I know swim twice a week and feel so much better for it.
Jas.

ScubaJenn81
09-16-2007, 09:59
I am impressed that they refunded as well. Consistering that we did most of the pool stuff well after the classroom portion. As much as it stinks that they can't participate, sometimes it takes an event like that to get them in the fitness mode again.

BuzzGA
09-16-2007, 11:49
Hopefully the experience won't keep them from diving instead it will be a kick in the pants to get in shape and then come back and join the underwater addiction

Bill22
09-16-2007, 13:31
That was good of him to give a refund.
I realised how unfit i had become when i took the ow class....especially the swimming.
As a kid at school i would swim laps like a fish...cant remember ever really getting puffed.
I know swim twice a week and feel so much better for it.
Jas.

I remember my uncle asking me once when I was a kid if I had gills (I had just finished swimming three times as far as him underwater and twice as far as my dad). We all get older though :-))

I think fitness is important. Vis was low on our dive yesterday (we had a typhoon just over a week ago) and we ended up getting pushed out of position by a slow current. Current is current and we had to kick hard making it back. I remember thinking that I was glad I was swimming laps on a regular basis in addition to diving. Someone who was out of shape could end up in trouble. I never felt in trouble, just thought about what a pain it was. Conditioning was the key to that.

kingfish
09-16-2007, 18:35
Yeh i dive in quite a bit of current at times here, and the swimming is a great help.

Would hate to get caught in the current with the fitness level i had a few months ago.

Jas.

jo8243
09-17-2007, 17:14
Our sedentary society is killing us faster than anything else. About 500,000 americans die yearly from heart disease. How many have died in terrorist attacks, ever, on US soil? Several thousand. How much money does the government spend on the war vs on exercise encouragement (building greenways, etc). Hmm..........