PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Japan

divingmedic
03-11-2011, 07:53
Tsunami expected to hit the west coast and Hawaii.

Tsunami Reaches Hawaii as Tidal Wave Crosses Pacific - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/tsunami-slams-hawaii-tidal-wave-crosses-pacific/story?id=13112901)

TwistedSister209
03-11-2011, 07:57
We've had the news on since 3:30 AM--the curse of insomnia for DH & I--I'm just in a bit of shock.
On another thread, wasn't this supposed to happen on 3/19?

My heart & prayers go out to those people affected. Makes the price of gas and other annoying things not so important.

divingmedic
03-11-2011, 08:49
We've had the news on since 3:30 AM--the curse of insomnia for DH & I--I'm just in a bit of shock.
On another thread, wasn't this supposed to happen on 3/19?

My heart & prayers go out to those people affected. Makes the price of gas and other annoying things not so important.

This is going to drive prices up on everything overall. Their Nuke power plants will be going off line so they must use more oil/gas/coal for their power. The markets of tanked the last few days over the unrest in the middle east and this will sink it even further. But yes we need to send all the prayers and good vibes there. One a good note I guess they only expect the Tsunami in Hawaii to be only about 6 feet. I am sure a they have had worse over there. What is kind of amusing is to see the over reaction in Oregon and California.

Diver Kat
03-11-2011, 10:41
The information coming out of Japan is just horrific. I with you TS, just in shock. Here it's a beautiful sunny day so it's hard to take in what's going on around the world right now.

Can't say I see it as over-reacting in CA & OR. More like erring on the side of caution. The force of these Tsunami waves don't have to be that big to cause damage.There's already reports coming in of some damage in Southern CA and the waves have just started hitting. Having seen (and lived through) the flooding and damage water has done here in Central Texas, it's scary to think of the force of the ocean coming at you.

Beefcake
03-12-2011, 00:54
This is going to drive prices up on everything overall. Their Nuke power plants will be going off line so they must use more oil/gas/coal for their power. The markets of tanked the last few days over the unrest in the middle east and this will sink it even further. But yes we need to send all the prayers and good vibes there. One a good note I guess they only expect the Tsunami in Hawaii to be only about 6 feet. I am sure a they have had worse over there. What is kind of amusing is to see the over reaction in Oregon and California.
As the owner of a commercial fishing boat in Oregon, I don't think we're over-reacting. Luckily, my boat isn't in the water right now, but a lot of boats were lost here today. Google "Brookings Marina" if you want to see proof; the entire marina was destroyed, and at least 7 boats were swept out to sea (similar to the Crescent City, CA situation). I think I heard 75 other boats were damaged. On a brighter note, maybe I'll get a better price for albacore this year if the ports of Brookings. Depoe Bay, and Crescent City are out of commission (kidding). Seriously, we had a few people swept away today (I know of 3 rescued and I missing / presumed dead).

This was a good wake-up call for us on the left coast. There is a similar subduction zone fault about 80 miles off our coast that is due for a shakedown (300 years since the last one; experts say it will happen in our lifetime). They say we'll be lucky to have between 8 and 20 minutes notice when it goes before the resulting tsunami wipes out our coastline. I'm a safely 90 miles away, but I have friends that won't have a chance if / when this happens. At least they got to practice evacuation plans.