PDA

View Full Version : Vegemite!

Splitlip
03-11-2011, 17:47
Saw Chuck's new avatar.

There are so many misconceptions about "Vegemite" since this video.

YouTube - Down Under - Men At Work (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqWOlTqn6YU)

Sorry Smashee. The 80's were weird, but I'm sure you're proud. :smiley2:

chinacat46
03-11-2011, 17:49
Hey it was either vegemite or marmite. BTW neither tastes good on waffles or anything else for that matter.

Smashee
03-11-2011, 18:04
Sorry Smashee. The 80's were weird, but I'm sure you're proud. :smiley2:

Pro Tip: Vegemite makes an awesome drop-bear repellant. Ask any Aussie.

And yeah, let's talk about weird...

Eraserhead meets The Muppet Show in 1950s America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYki4s73Kwg

fire diver
03-11-2011, 18:14
Mmmmmm.... leftover scum from used, fermented brewers' yeast. Eat up!

Splitlip
03-11-2011, 18:20
Pro Tip: Vegemite makes an awesome drop-bear repellant. Ask any Aussie.

And yeah, let's talk about weird...

Eraserhead meets The Muppet Show in 1950s America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYki4s73Kwg

LOL. LIKE this.

Smashee
03-11-2011, 18:26

You just stick to eating your Easy Cheese aerosal spray goop, then. More for me. :D

chinacat46
03-11-2011, 20:36
I think I'd rather have bowel surgery in the woods with a stick then eat vegemite.

fire diver
03-11-2011, 20:56
You just stick to eating your Easy Cheese aerosal spray goop, then. More for me. :D

I prefer Brie, thank you very much!

Rileybri
03-12-2011, 07:24
I think I'd rather have bowel surgery in the woods with a stick then eat vegemite.

I'm with you on this one. that stuff is vile.

russp
03-15-2011, 11:31
Wikipedia says Vegemite is made from brewer's yeast extract which is a by product of making beer. Does this mean the Austrailians have managed to take something as good as beer and make it into something bad?! Say it isn't so Smashee.

Smashee
03-15-2011, 15:51
Wikipedia says Vegemite is made from brewer's yeast extract which is a by product of making beer. Does this mean the Austrailians have managed to take something as good as beer and make it into something bad?! Say it isn't so Smashee.

Nope. It's just that wimpy, un-Australian taste buds cower and cry like little babies before the mighty flavour of concentrated essence of beer. It's a national icon, like the red-back, the funnel-web or the death-adder. One whiff of it's noble aroma will strike fear into the heart of Australia's deadliest predator and in an emergency can be used as an effective patching compound for your tinnie or ute.

Kids are raised on it's goodness which allows them to withstand the rigours of day-to-day Australian life, such as fighting salt-water crocs, walking through miles of blazing desert, and playing rugby league football or AFL.
Surfers and swimmers swear by it's medicinal properties, turning the bites & stings of everything form irukandji to white-pointers into nothing more than a minor annoyance to be shrugged off with a careless "She'll be right, I've had worse.".

It's a well-known fact that when Nietzsche said "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger." he was talking about an prototype version of Vegemite which turned out to be far too bland for the Australian market.

fire diver
03-15-2011, 15:51

Yep, afraid so. Strangely, many Americans love peanut butter, but most of the rest of the world hate it. Go figure.

Splitlip
03-15-2011, 17:17
Nope. It's just that wimpy, un-Australian taste buds cower and cry like little babies before the mighty flavour of concentrated essence of beer. It's a national icon, like the red-back, the funnel-web or the death-adder. One whiff of it's noble aroma will strike fear into the heart of Australia's deadliest predator and in an emergency can be used as an effective patching compound for your tinnie or ute.

Kids are raised on it's goodness which allows them to withstand the rigours of day-to-day Australian life, such as fighting salt-water crocs, walking through miles of blazing desert, and playing rugby league football or AFL.
Surfers and swimmers swear by it's medicinal properties, turning the bites & stings of everything form irukandji to white-pointers into nothing more than a minor annoyance to be shrugged off with a careless "She'll be right, I've had worse.".

It's a well-known fact that when Nietzsche said "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger." he was talking about an prototype version of Vegemite which turned out to be far too bland for the Australian market.

:smiley20: Bravo Smashee!

When the song came out there were so many different opinions among young American's as to what Vegemite was. They said "sheep's' stomach", "beef kidney", "blood pudding", etc. LOL.

FWIW, I am weaning off the peanut butter and am now using almond butter.

Smashee
03-15-2011, 22:15
When the song came out there were so many different opinions among young American's as to what Vegemite was. They said "sheep's' stomach", "beef kidney", "blood pudding", etc. LOL.
FWIW, I am weaning off the peanut butter and am now using almond butter.

Ahh, the pre-internet days before you had trivia at your fingertips. :-) Beef kidney's pretty close though. Bovril's similar to vegemite, but made from beef. Or at least, it used to be made from beef. Then it went all PC and switched to a vegetarian recipe. :(

oddbod
03-16-2011, 02:16
Can't be that bad, you Yanks bought the whole company to get it:smiley36:

PS You don't really have to spread it thick and it makes a great additive to marinades:smiley20:

below sea level
03-16-2011, 09:25
The healing qualities are amazing when you have the flu. A tablespoon of the good stuff in a mug of boiling water will have you back on your feet faster than anything you can buy from a drugstore.

If anything, it could do with a little more salt. :smiley36:

russp
03-16-2011, 09:57
May have to get some and give it a try, it can't be any worse then some of the "delicacies" my grandmother served up in her Italian kitchen. Found a place that sells it and also features something called Tim Tams; looks like a popular snack cracker covered in chocolate.