PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Athens Scuba Park

Soonerwink
03-13-2011, 21:46
A few from our dive club were able to dive Athens Scuba Park this weekend and I have a couple of questions. While vis was great, 30'+, and temp was doable at 57 at 22'. I was wondering why there are no fish in it? Also does anyone know the name of the scuba CD they were playing from the shop?

ScubaToys Larry
03-13-2011, 22:07
They treat it with alum to try to keep the algae down and it has the result of nothing growing in it, so no fish. If you try Clear Spring Scuba Park is "clearly" different (http://www.ClearSpringsScubaPark.com) you will see fish. That's where we do our training for classes.

Vercingetorix
03-14-2011, 07:35
Sooner,

30 feet viz? Wow!!! Everytime I've been there, viz was about 4 feet. Sometimes, couldn't even see my own fins. Water temp in the summer is bathwater warm; no wetsuit required.

I agree with Larry's recommendation; go to Clear Springs. Much better experience. And, you can hang out at the ScubaToys pavillion. Give you an opportunity to talk to the students during SI and meet the instructors and DMs. Sometimes, even Greg, the Training Director is there to instruct as well.

Soonerwink
03-14-2011, 11:17
I have been to CSSP, and they do have fish. A piranha perch took a chunk out of my left ear. I was there in July and it was bath water warm and vis was only 5 feet. I enjoyed diving Athens, several sunken items to explore and a very friendly staff. I figured that Athens water temps would be warmer since it is shallower.

mlhaist
03-15-2011, 15:20
Thanks for the report, we are diving there Sunday. I will ask about the CD but they do have a facebook page where you could get the answers.

mlhaist
03-28-2011, 12:59
I talked with Calvin, the CD was probably Barefoot Man, The Best of Scuba Do. Barefoot Man Music Catalog - Foot's Music (http://barefootman.com/for-foot.html)

Soonerwink
03-28-2011, 21:54
I talked with Calvin, the CD was probably Barefoot Man, The Best of Scuba Do. Barefoot Man Music Catalog - Foot's Music (http://barefootman.com/for-foot.html)

Thanks, I will check it out.

Puddle Dipper
03-30-2011, 08:38
We dove there this past Saturday, and we had well over 30' of visibility and the temp on bottom was 68. We saw 2 bass over by the DART bus. Thats the first time I've seen a fish in Athens SP since I started diving there last summer. Maybe they will make a comeback. We'll be going back this coming Sunday.

joer606
05-13-2011, 13:38
Will be camping out there Memorial weekend. Any one else going to be there?

Kirby
05-20-2011, 02:39
I was actually able to dive with soonerwink on his dive as I was one of his group. I spoke with with owner who stated that he was not using anything to treat the water and it was all natural. He did state that they do like to keep the fish down because of the fact that too much live stock in the water causes the vis to turn south also.

I am not supporting or denouncing anything though guys just passing along the information I had on the location. Soonerwink and the other divers were a lot of fun as well so they made the trip worth while as well.

Joeer606 I wish I was closer buddy Id be there with you :(

TwistedSister209
05-20-2011, 06:36
I liked diving there and will be going back June 4 & 5 with our OW classes. Finding the 4 bass was neat. The viz was so much better than last summer because they've worked on it. The new plane will be in place by the time I go back.
I thought the camping was nice even though I don't camp. Just remember you're right by the train tracks. . .

joer606
05-23-2011, 22:09
Weather looks good for the weekend of camping. All the storms had me nervous. If any one makes it out we have a giant red umbrella on its side looking thing that we will be chilling under. You cant miss it, so come say howdy yall. ;-)

russp
05-25-2011, 15:29
They treat it with alum to try to keep the algae down and it has the result of nothing growing in it, so no fish. If you try Clear Spring Scuba Park is "clearly" different (http://www.ClearSpringsScubaPark.com) you will see fish. That's where we do our training for classes.

I've heard that the treated water at Athens can harm your gear and fade your BC and wetsuit. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I've thought about going there on a Wednesday or Thursday when Clear Springs is closed but not if I have to worry about my equipment.

russp
05-25-2011, 15:35
I was actually able to dive with soonerwink on his dive as I was one of his group. I spoke with with owner who stated that he was not using anything to treat the water and it was all natural. He did state that they do like to keep the fish down because of the fact that too much live stock in the water causes the vis to turn south also.

I am not supporting or denouncing anything though guys just passing along the information I had on the location. Soonerwink and the other divers were a lot of fun as well so they made the trip worth while as well.

Joeer606 I wish I was closer buddy Id be there with you :(

If they don't treat the water how do they keep the livestock, plants and algae out?

Kirby
05-28-2011, 12:57
If they don't treat the water how do they keep the livestock, plants and algae out?

I dont know. I was only repeating what the owner said. I personally dont know what they do or how they do it. Good question though.

TwistedSister209
05-28-2011, 17:49
Livestock? As in cows? Fish?
I did 3 days there earlier this month. My gear didn't fade. They have nice wash racks and I cleaned my gear again after got home. I didn't hear of anyone's gear getting ruined. I liked it and am excited about seeing the new plane in the water.
I really enjoyed being treated like I mattered.
There are no plants and I think the fish will multiply now that the water has been balanced.

russp
05-30-2011, 09:03
Livestock? As in cows? Fish?
I did 3 days there earlier this month. My gear didn't fade. They have nice wash racks and I cleaned my gear again after got home. I didn't hear of anyone's gear getting ruined. I liked it and am excited about seeing the new plane in the water.
I really enjoyed being treated like I mattered.
There are no plants and I think the fish will multiply now that the water has been balanced.

Curious what you mean by the water being balanced; it sounds like trying to get the chlorine and PH corrected in a swimming pool. I haven't made any dives in Athens because of what I heard from a couple of divers about gear issues with the water treatment and the fact there are no plants kind of backs it up. Anybody out there dive Athens on a regular basis.

joer606
06-01-2011, 13:33
My camping trip at Athens went well. Trains were the only bad part. The new plane is awesome, even more so at night. We washed off our gear at the end and didn't notice any difference in color. But I also here that the sun can bleach gear, so I guess if you want to keep that "new gear look" dive at night or just keep gear in a closet and tell everyone how pretty it is. For me Ill suffer the loss of color and go get some diving done.

scubajane
06-01-2011, 17:42
we dove athens scuba park last summer. they have great rinse stations. our gear did not fade. viz stunk but we dive is dark water at our lake so we just felt our way around. It's always and adventure to dive someplace new!! just go and try it. if you hate it then don't go back. simple. Oh we were there in June and water temp was 84. we dove a few days earlier at the Ouachita lake dam at Blakely Mt dam and the water temp was 65. so we opted for low viz and warm water.

CaptainRon
06-02-2011, 04:07
If you are interested in scuba themed CDs, you might check out Eric Stone. He has a couple of nice CDs. store (http://www.boatsongs.com/store/store.html)

Kirby
06-27-2011, 13:12
Any one who is interested a local dive group here in Tulsa is heading to Athens on July 23 and 24 of this year. If your interested in meeting up wed love to get to meet you and dive with you guys!