PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to chop herbs

John Yaskowich
03-16-2011, 10:30
Not so much a recipe as a technique: When you have to chop fresh herbs just put them into a coffee or measuring cup and then snip away at them with a pair of scissors. Keeps everything nicely confined instead of flying all over the place, as happens when you use a board and knife.

TwistedSister209
03-16-2011, 16:29
Good tip, John! Thanks!

mcr0112
03-30-2011, 15:42
Or you could buy a slap chop and give it to your 9 year old grandaughter. Mine chopped everything up in sight with the thing.

navyhmc
03-30-2011, 16:32
The only problem with a slap chop is that some of the herbs stay stuck on the blades and get everywher in the chopper. Usually what I do is gather all the herbs that I'm planning to put in a dish and sort of wrap the smaller stuff (Rosemary, Thyme, etc) in the leaves - basil, Cilatro, Parsley, sort of slice it and finish with a few diagonal chops and I'm done. I've been known to use a paper plate so it's even easier clean up.

jallen013
04-05-2011, 15:29
we bought an ulu knife and chopping board on holiday in alaska kind of as a joke.

https://store-48d00.mybigcommerce.com/product_images/uploaded_images/sarah-cutting-2.jpg

it has since turned out to be one of the most useful chopping and mincing tools in our kitchen. it makes an appearance at almost every meal we cook. the knife is designed be used in a back-and-forth rocking motion, with or without the bowled cutting board.

it's quick, simple and highly effective. we've since ordered several sets for family and friends.