PDA

View Full Version : If you could make one phone call to yourself in the past, at any moment,...

Vercingetorix
03-18-2011, 06:48
...when would you call and what would you say?

For me, the answer would be "March, 1986: Take that money you got from your grandparents and invest in a startup called Microsoft."

TJDiver
03-18-2011, 06:51
LOL! I guess it's because we're in the same industry, V...but, I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

emclean
03-18-2011, 06:57
i think it would be the winning lottery numbers for a huge jackpot.

scubastud
03-18-2011, 07:44
September 14th 1994.
I would have said "I don't"

John Yaskowich
03-18-2011, 08:28
I would call myself in early 1978 and tell me to listen to the guys demonstrating the game prototype. A couple of thousand $ and I would have been in on the ground floor of Trivial Pursuit. (They set up in one corner with a couple of buddies. I was in another corner, chatting up a sweet young thing.)

divingmedic
03-18-2011, 10:03
Hmmmm so many moments in time that I would to redo. Can not list them all here.

TJDiver
03-18-2011, 11:14
You know what...I'd like to change my entry. While it would be nice to have invested in Microsoft...hit the lottery...totally avoided my first wife...blah blah blah...having made even one step different in my past may have landed me somewhere other than where I am today relative to family, friends, etc. I really like the life I have today, and could not imagine being without my family. To change something significant in my past could mean I don't end up with the family I love so much today. I think this is a call I would skip, and just go hug my family instead. :smiley2:

scubagirlj
03-18-2011, 11:37
...it would have been back in 197...1?....."do not get in that car".....should have listened to Dad, waaay back when(about same time, or close to it, actually, when i wasn't listening to anyone,especially parents) & he was telling me about this wonderful thing called the internet & how it would revolutionize the way we live....unfortunately, to me, he sounded like the parents in charlie brown"...WAH..WAH..WAH."....stupid me

Defman
03-18-2011, 14:46
"Start paying those f'ing Student Loans now...."

fire diver
03-18-2011, 16:13
10 years ago (gold under $400), I'd tell myself to put every penny into gold, and not sell it until it breaks $1400.

Bambuild
03-18-2011, 18:28
Pondered this question many times about getting a call like this in the eighties, and then stopped to think NOPE can't trade in my kids. So I jump into the late 90's and that call would have said invest invest invest, too bad I didn't have caller ID, I'd be retired by now. BUT my life aint bad right now, I got more work than I can handle and we are financially comfortable, plus Im a Grandpa at 38. (Hey, At least the kid waited longer than I did)

PlatypusMan
03-18-2011, 19:49
Hello, Self?

Listen up!! Lots of folks are going to have you work for them, and every one of them is going to promise to 'take care of you' at some unspecified future date for your loyal service and long hours of hard work. All you have to do is scrape by on some really low wage and some marginal benefits until that day comes.

Trust your Future Self--that day never comes. For whatever reason, they never come through for you, and you start all over again with the next one. Wash, rinse, repeat.

OH----listen to your Dad. He's a HELL of a lot smarter than you give him credit for.

TwistedSister209
03-18-2011, 19:58
You know what...I'd like to change my entry. While it would be nice to have invested in Microsoft...hit the lottery...totally avoided my first wife...blah blah blah...having made even one step different in my past may have landed me somewhere other than where I am today relative to family, friends, etc. I really like the life I have today, and could not imagine being without my family. To change something significant in my past could mean I don't end up with the family I love so much today. I think this is a call I would skip, and just go hug my family instead. :smiley2:

I agree, TJ! If I changed any of the abuse, I know I wouldn't be strong today. I'm grateful for my children, for the man who took a chance on me, and as sappy as this sounds, scuba. And this forum. :smiley20:

My phone call would be in 1974to me in July 1980--visit your mother, make peace, and know that your parents are sooooo much smarter than you think.

Glub000
03-18-2011, 20:17
I'd call me two weeks ago and tell me to invest in the phone company that invented the a phone that lets you call yourself in the past. I'll make a fortune!!!

Lulubelle
03-18-2011, 20:20
Summer after college-

Dear dutiful Lulu. What you think is true at 22 is largely based on what you have been told all of your life and the models which have been shown to you. As good as those models have been, you will begin to think very independently of these influences and your truth will become your own over the years. You may even find that you learn to take life much less seriously. So with that in mind, trust me when I tell you "Get on the darn boat."

Scout
03-21-2011, 18:32
Hey 22 yo self:

God has a plan for you and it will all be ok.

Oh, and get to know Lulu so you can meet her model friends.

Regards,

Your older, wiser self

Davetowz
03-21-2011, 19:56
I have to second the IPO on that new startup. You heard of them right... lil company called Microsoft.

diversteve
03-23-2011, 03:10
Call myself in summer 1991:

Take all the money when you cash out your stock plan and buy 10 Preferred A shares in an Omaha NE company called Berkshire Hathaway. Owned by Warren Buffett. At the time they were $8400 each. Also sell them on Sept 19, 2008 at $147,000 per share - they've dropped $20K/share since then. Among other companies they own this one:

$1,386,000 profit. 1650% return on investment in 17 years. I don't think Microsoft did as good.

Wish I would've done it...

IndyDiver
03-23-2011, 23:41
Call myself in summer 1991:

Take all the money when you cash out your stock plan and buy 10 Preferred A shares in an Omaha NE company called Berkshire Hathaway. Owned by Warren Buffett. At the time they were $8400 each. Also sell them on Sept 19, 2008 at $147,000 per share - they've dropped $20K/share since then. Among other companies they own this one:

$1,386,000 profit. 1650% return on investment in 17 years. I don't think Microsoft did as good.

Wish I would've done it...

I would phone myself about Apple when they were coming out with the iPod. April, 2003 at $14 a share. Could have sold them last month for $360 a share. 2600% in 8 years. Now that's what I call investment advice!

diversteve
03-24-2011, 01:28
OK, that's better....:smiley20:

Recon
03-24-2011, 08:07
I would say... GOOGLE IS NOT JUST A FREAKING SEARCH ENGINE YOU MORON!... cause those were my exact words when my friend told me about it and said this is gonna make big bucks... now he is 39 and has been retired since 2006 and will never need to work again.... le' sigh

~Recon

Cougar Diver
03-24-2011, 18:54
October 13 1996. Dont take the freeway home from work tonight. (night I was hit by a drunk driver)