PDA

View Full Version : Historically Hardcore

Straegen
03-21-2011, 14:49
I saw this picture and just had to post it. Go Smithsonian

http://hicksdesign.co.uk/else/images//1398731261876321-20110321-104223.jpg

navyhmc
03-21-2011, 15:31
IMHO, Teddy was the role model for John Wayne AND is the only person that Chuck Norris addressed as "Sir!!!"

Bert
03-21-2011, 16:09
We need polititions like FDR now more than ever

ScubaToys Larry
03-21-2011, 16:27
Actually I believe he was shot before the speech....

navyhmc
03-21-2011, 16:54
We need polititions like FDR now more than ever

FDR or Teddy? While FDR did indeed bring us out of the great depression, some of the social changes imho have not stood the test of time.

Bert
03-21-2011, 17:01
Both FDR had medical problems that he hid, Teddy was bull moose both spoke the truth even if it wasent popular, We need to go where men were men and stode for what they beleve in not hib behind the I dont read the bill that were submitted by me written by other people. If a polition had the gull to say " yes ma'm I am drunk,but tomarrow I will be sober and you will still be ugly"

FishFood
03-21-2011, 18:02
FDR or Teddy? While FDR did indeed bring us out of the great depression, some of the social changes imho have not stood the test of time.

I agree 100% that his social changes haven't stood the test of time, and will even argue that he prolonged the great depression and that current politicians (Bush, Obama) blindly followed his lead to prolong another recession/depression.

That being said, if anyone get's the chance, visit the "Little White House" in Warm Springs Georgia. It was FDR's personal retreat house that sat on a natural warm spring which he used to treat his Polio. Despite my disagreement for his policies, it shows a lot of personal character from the obstacles he overcame (and even hid from the public) to achieve his political/life goals.

Straegen
03-21-2011, 18:17
FDR or Teddy? While FDR did indeed bring us out of the great depression, some of the social changes imho have not stood the test of time.I would argue his social changes have not been kept up over time. I am not for expansionist government but what he did from the time elected to WW2 was pretty amazing and fundamentally worked for the country. What he left behind was strong banking regulations, funded social programs, a strong country and overall he was one of the best presidents to hold office. Leave it to the career politicians following him to screw it up again.

I find the interesting part of Teddy is that while he was a renegade he was also a scholar and a true intellectual. Sadly he couldn't make it in either party today. Too crazy for one and too smart for the other.

I agree 100% that his social changes haven't stood the test of time, and will even argue that he prolonged the great depression and that current politicians (Bush, Obama) blindly followed his lead to prolong another recession/depression. I have heard this from a few others but most of the arguments that I have had sound revisionist to me. Could you explain why you believe this?

Hmmm... did a little reading and will have to read some more on this topic. Couple economists floating that the idea that the depression would have ended sooner without those policies seems optimistic at best. We cannot even right a recession or stagflation in 10 years.

FishFood
03-21-2011, 18:51
IMO the best reading is from current Fed Chair Ben Bernanke. While he catches a lot of flack from both sides, he has spent his life researching the great depression. His essays are quite informative...

http://www.***********/Essays-Great-Depression-Ben-Bernanke/dp/0691118205

He goes back to the federal reserve practices in the 20's, then looks at what went wrong during the depression.

Also, if I remember correctly from previous reading, the 'great depression' was only a GREAT DEPRESSION in the United States. Most other parts of the world it was a simply recession. Only in the US did it last right up until WWII.

EDIT -

Can't link to Amazon for some reason? Odd...

Look up ISBN 9780691118208

Straegen
03-21-2011, 19:40
I assume by a recession you mean in countries that were not directly linked to the US. UK, Canada, South America, France, Germany, Australia and dozens of other economies were hit very hard and fell into a depression during the same time.

I just downed the first of his conclusions in the book and so far his early analysis is quite the opposite that FDR actually ended the Great Depression quickly by removing us from the gold standard along with some other financial policies. What followed was a long recovery and a short lived recession. I will keep reading though. Maybe he changes his position in the later essays. Long read for me though and I read REALLY fast.

FishFood
03-21-2011, 20:14
I assume by a recession you mean in countries that were not directly linked to the US. UK, Canada, South America, France, Germany, Australia and dozens of other economies were hit very hard and fell into a depression during the same time.

I just downed the first of his conclusions in the book and so far his early analysis is quite the opposite that FDR actually ended the Great Depression quickly by removing us from the gold standard along with some other financial policies. What followed was a long recovery and a short lived recession. I will keep reading though. Maybe he changes his position in the later essays. Long read for me though and I read REALLY fast.

He does agree with a lot of FDR, but disagrees with key points and mainly the fed's actions for the two decades.

EDIT - And give me your conclusions. Its been... years (04 I believe is when it came out)... since reading. I may have to go back over...