PDA

View Full Version : Houston/Galveston

russp
03-23-2011, 08:53
Got the parents coming into Texas this July for a vacation. Looking for things to do in Houston and Galveston to keep them and the wife amused for four or five days. They're in their late 70s and don't dive so more dinners and points of interest kind of things.

brojack17
03-23-2011, 10:14
NASA is always a big draw. They have tram tours through the facility. Keemah Boardwalk is a popular attraction. It's right by NASA, so both can be done in the same day. Lots of shops, food, and rides. Moody Gardens in Galveston is another big draw. They are these three big pyramids with an aquarium and rain forest in them. The Strand in Galveston is another big draw. It kinda looks like Burbon St in New Orleans. Lots of shops. You can take a tour of old Galveston. They take you to a lot of the old mansions there. Catch a baseball game at Minute Made Park. It's a really nice field and they close the roof when it is really hot outside. Houston has a really nice museum of Natural Science. They usually have some pretty cool traveling exhibits go through there. The zoo is lacking. I wouldn't waste my time.

It's going to be HOT in July.

russp
03-23-2011, 11:54
Thanks Brojack, lots of good ideas there. My folks are from the Jersey Shore so they're pretty used to heat and humidity.

Still open to any other suggestions board members may have, I have five or six days to fill.

russp
03-23-2011, 13:51
My wife has requested a clarification; my parents are in their late 70s, not her!

suzique
03-23-2011, 15:52
My wife has requested a clarification; my parents are in their late 70s, not her!

Thank you sweetie! You're the best.

brojack17
03-23-2011, 15:57
So this isn't you two? ;-)

Bert
03-23-2011, 18:05
There The Spot on galveston Its a bar/grill with an ocean view good food

TwistedSister209
03-23-2011, 21:15
Driving or flying?
If driving, have you thought about The Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham. Tours last about 45 minutes and you get ice cream! Monastery Miniature Horses are in Washington County near Brenham.
Also, contact www.traveltex.com (http://www.traveltex.com) or www.tourtexas.com (http://www.tourtexas.com) for more information.

I second NASA!

russp
03-24-2011, 07:11
The wife and I will drive down so we'll access to wheels if there are things a little farther out. We're going to stay pretty close to NASA so we can have easy access to both Houston and Galveston.

russp
03-24-2011, 07:17
Thank you sweetie! You're the best.

Oh no! The wife has found the forum! Security! Security!

russp
03-25-2011, 10:17
It's feeling like a full day in Houston, a full day in Galveston and a full day to make a road trip up towards Brenham and Katy. Anybody have any suggestions for the road trip to go along with Blue Bell Ice Cream and the Forbidden City in Katy? We'll also have the half days when my folks fly in and out but I figure we can play those days by ear.

divingmedic
03-26-2011, 08:10
The only thing I can add from what the others have said is the Butterfly exhibition near the Imax by the zoo. Also you can the Galleria Mall.