PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When You Don't Use O2 Clean BALLOONS

FishFood
03-24-2011, 11:10
A Nissan Pathfinder filled with inflated balloons exploded about 12:30 Sunday afternoon, March 20, 2011, injuring two persons. Janice Broaden’s vehicle had been filled with inflated balloons that were to be used at a baby shower. She had driven to the parking lot of the Nutrition Site and was outside her vehicle when the explosion occurred.

Lt. Murry told the Herald that the balloons had been filled with pure oxygen instead of helium.

Vehicle explosion rocks Union Springs | News | Bullock County News (http://bullockcounty.wsfa.com/news/news/vehicle-explosion-rocks-union-springs/77176#)
:smiley29:

TJDiver
03-24-2011, 11:26
One of the comments on that page questioned if it was oxygen or perhaps hydrogen in the balloons. While I wouldn't have gone as far as to call anyone liars like he did, it did bring up a thought for me. You have to wonder why they accepted the balloons. I'm figuring they were supposed to be floating balloons, but if filled with oxygen, they would not have been floating. I can't imagine a customer accepting a group of balloons for a party that were not floating? Maybe the poster of the comments has a point?

Straegen
03-24-2011, 11:27
Those balloons and car needed a better burst disk.

I can't imagine a customer accepting a group of balloons for a party that were not floating? Maybe the poster of the comments has a point?Wonder if they were a mixture to save some money. They could have been drop balloons I suppose.

TJDiver
03-24-2011, 11:33
Those balloons and car needed a better burst disk.

Wonder if they were a mixture to save some money. They could have been drop balloons I suppose.

That's a good point. I've never paid anyone for balloons with plain ole air in them...just grabbed some volunteers and blew until we were dizzy...but, I guess some might pay for that service, especially if it was a large number of balloons.

bfmorgan
03-24-2011, 12:45
I used to sell balloons, inflated of course! You would expect certain colors of tanks for the type of gas, i.e., oxygen tanks are green. I never pursued this, but the helium tanks were different colors depending on the company that I purchased the fill from. The helium tanks were frequently two tone, but always had a sticker identifying the gas as helium. Wonder if they delivered oxygen to the balloon retailer? TJ has a good point, why didn't anyone notice the balloons weren't floating?