PDA

View Full Version : Bass Amp Cabinet

bennerman
03-30-2011, 17:51
I am making a couple of speaker cabinets to play my bass through. Anyone know if PA speakers will work in this? The plan is to make a stack of 2. The top one will have a speaker and a tweeter, the bottom one will have a speaker and a subwoofer. I will post problems, progress, questions, etc. as I think of them

ScubaToys Larry
03-30-2011, 18:52
What are you using for crossovers?

snagel
03-30-2011, 18:59
Make sure you are using some heavy gauge wire. I did this and halfway through a show people started pointing at my speakers and the smoke coming out of them - they thought it was some awesome piro, but ended up being my wires melting.

Snagel

bennerman
03-30-2011, 19:06
What are you using for crossovers?

Not sure, talking to the guy from whom I am buying the speakers (he does home audio equipment... also plushies :P)

bennerman
03-30-2011, 19:08
Also, if anyone knows, would .130 be too thick for me E-string? I want to experiment with some Drop A tuning, but I don't want to have to change strings every time I want to play a different tune, so would that guage be able to be tuned to standard E without breaking/bending the neck?

Also, I found a .140 guage XD

ScubaToys Larry
03-30-2011, 19:11
whom I am buying the speakers (he does home audio equipment..

Probably won't be heavy enough...

You need a pretty strong speaker that can handle a lot of power.... and it has to ported properly.... I'd say, in the end, you'll be better off looking for some decent used bass speakers. High end is easy, as it requires very little power, and and not much in the way of a cabinet... when you get into the low end, there, is so much more that is needed to be perfect to get it right.

bennerman
03-30-2011, 19:19
Probably won't be heavy enough...

You need a pretty strong speaker that can handle a lot of power.... and it has to ported properly.... I'd say, in the end, you'll be better off looking for some decent used bass speakers. High end is easy, as it requires very little power, and and not much in the way of a cabinet... when you get into the low end, there, is so much more that is needed to be perfect to get it right.

My friend is making me a 100w tube amp head, so that should be enough power for the whole system

ScubaToys Larry
03-30-2011, 19:34
Depends how loud you want it... Bass is very hard to reproduce loudly... and why would you want a tube bass head?? tubes give you a gritty distorted sound that guitarists want, but for bass... I'd say about 500 watts of solid state would be my choice....

I spent 3 years on the road as a guitarist, then 5 years as a bass player in a traveling road band... My bass setup had about 5 times the power as my guitar setup... Anytime you go down an octave, you need a lot more power... stop and think about how much a high end speaker moves. That does not take much power, but to move a big 18 inch speaker back and forth an inch or two, that requires a lot of power to move that much air.

The more power the better for low end.

bennerman
03-30-2011, 19:35
Depends how loud you want it... Bass is very hard to reproduce loudly... and why would you want a tube bass head?? tubes give you a gritty distorted sound that guitarists want, but for bass... I'd say about 500 watts of solid state would be my choice....

I spent 3 years on the road as a guitarist, then 5 years as a bass player in a traveling road band... My bass setup had about 5 times the power as my guitar setup... Anytime you go down an octave, you need a lot more power... stop and think about how much a high end speaker moves. That does not take much power, but to move a big 18 inch speaker back and forth an inch or two, that requires a lot of power to move that much air.

The more power the better for low end.

I was told tube gives a smoother, warmer sound. Also, it is a birthday present from him, and I am a sentimental person. This is just a starter anyways, for practice, recording, and small gigs.

ScubaToys Larry
03-30-2011, 19:48
Heck... probably fine... If you need more power... just mic it up...

bennerman
03-30-2011, 19:56
Heck... probably fine... If you need more power... just mic it up...

What if I use a storebought 50w head for the top one, and the custom head for the sub-woofer cab?

bennerman
03-30-2011, 19:57
Maybe I should use my current bass for standard down to drop C tuning, and get a second bass for drop b and lower?

Conklin Guitars Snakeskins Extended-Range Bass Strings (http://www.conklinguitars.com/bass_strings.html) I found a 0.194 inch string, I think that is pretty well as thick as I am going to find anywhere

Larry, have you considered adding a music subforum for surface interval?

bennerman
03-31-2011, 00:48
Ok, I plan to do "-1 standard "tuning (this is my term for every string 1 octave lower), so I think for a rig for that specific tuning, I will need more subwoofers than I will speakers and I would remove the tweeters

rawalker
03-31-2011, 02:17
For Bass Guitar you want an amp with a 200 watt or more output as for the speaker a single or pair of wide range 15" bass drivers is what you are looking for.

russp
03-31-2011, 11:02
A lot of PA speakers don't have the amount of movement you want for an instrument cabinet (some high end ones do). If you're doing two cabinets, I would suggest one with four 10" speakers for a tight, clean sound and then a single 15 or 18" for the fat bottom. Both cabinets could be run full range but it would be better to run a crossover and limit the 15 or 18 to only frequencies below about 100hz. You also want about twice the power for the lows that you want for the highs (typically 800 watts low/400 watts high). I don't think the tweeters in some of the commercial top cabinets add that much and they tend to blow very easily.

I've been doing concert audio for 30 years and currently help manage a large production company that provides sound, lights, backline and staging for concert tours and festivals. I'm also the sound guy for the Dallas Symphony. I get to see a lot of gear, both the very good and the very bad.

As for the bass, are you playing a 4 or 5 string? My rigs back when I was still a musician was a Fender Fretless Precission for jazz and for pop/rock work a Guild Pilot fretted 5 string with a D-Tuner on the low B string which got me down to a low A when I flipped the lever.

bennerman
03-31-2011, 12:13
A lot of PA speakers don't have the amount of movement you want for an instrument cabinet (some high end ones do). If you're doing two cabinets, I would suggest one with four 10" speakers for a tight, clean sound and then a single 15 or 18" for the fat bottom. Both cabinets could be run full range but it would be better to run a crossover and limit the 15 or 18 to only frequencies below about 100hz. You also want about twice the power for the lows that you want for the highs (typically 800 watts low/400 watts high). I don't think the tweeters in some of the commercial top cabinets add that much and they tend to blow very easily.

I've been doing concert audio for 30 years and currently help manage a large production company that provides sound, lights, backline and staging for concert tours and festivals. I'm also the sound guy for the Dallas Symphony. I get to see a lot of gear, both the very good and the very bad.

As for the bass, are you playing a 4 or 5 string? My rigs back when I was still a musician was a Fender Fretless Precission for jazz and for pop/rock work a Guild Pilot fretted 5 string with a D-Tuner on the low B string which got me down to a low A when I flipped the lever.

4 string, but I am thinking of buying another 4-string and adding double-thickness strings and tuning it down an octave.

I found a subwoofer that has a range from 10hz-400hz. I was taught that 20hz-20khz is the audible range, so is anything below 20hz unnecesarry?

bennerman
03-31-2011, 12:39
It is just a starter rig, so I am not expecting to work any miracles here

russp
03-31-2011, 12:49
Normally below 20 isn't really audible but you're talking going an octave lower than a normal bass. Low E on a normal bass is 41hz so an octave lower will be right around 20hz so that speaker that goes to 10hz would be a good thing. Why are you wanting to go an octave lower than a normal bass and have you checked to see if anyone makes strings that will do that? I've never seen anything tuned lower than A (27.5hz, the lowest note on a piano). The old 8 string basses had the normally tuned strings and then a second set an octave higher.

bennerman
03-31-2011, 12:56
Normally below 20 isn't really audible but you're talking going an octave lower than a normal bass. Low E on a normal bass is 41hz so an octave lower will be right around 20hz so that speaker that goes to 10hz would be a good thing. Why are you wanting to go an octave lower than a normal bass and have you checked to see if anyone makes strings that will do that? I've never seen anything tuned lower than A (27.5hz, the lowest note on a piano). The old 8 string basses had the normally tuned strings and then a second set an octave higher.

Because it gives a tough, skull rattling tone that very few people are able to match. It is like spice, hit a mellow enough one, and no one will KNOW it is there, they will only FEEL that it is there.

Circle K Strings - Circle K Strings (http://circlekstrings.com/store/index.html) this site has .254 guage strings, but I am ball-parking a .200 balanced set, does that sound about right?

bennerman
03-31-2011, 12:57
Check out AccuGroove's site, they will probably have systems that can handle it. I am thinking an El Whappo and a Whappo Grande

russp
03-31-2011, 13:01
There's a cheaper and easier way to get the same result. I used one of these back in the days of disco to imitate all the bass synths that were in use. It gives you either an octave higher or lower or both and can be blended with the original note.

EHX.com | Bass Micro Synthesizer - Analog Microsynth | Electro-Harmonix (http://www.ehx.com/products/bass-micro-synthesizer)

It also lets you play with the tone of the instrument.

russp
03-31-2011, 13:07
I like the looks of that El Whappo but I've never heard them. Peavey made a similar 3 way bass guitar cabinet many years ago that was really nice, and that's from a guy who was never a fan of anything Peavey. I think it had a 15" low, a 10" mid and a 2" high mounted to a small horn but it's been a long time since they were out; I could be wrong.

russp
03-31-2011, 13:18
Because it gives a tough, skull rattling tone that very few people are able to match. It is like spice, hit a mellow enough one, and no one will KNOW it is there, they will only FEEL that it is there.

Circle K Strings - Circle K Strings (http://circlekstrings.com/store/index.html) this site has .254 guage strings, but I am ball-parking a .200 balanced set, does that sound about right?

I'm having a hard time reading the Circle K chart to see what the lowest note they actually make is. What's throwing me is they don't explain why only certain notes on a string guage are in bold type; is that the note the string really hits clean and the others what you can get down to if you don't mind an under tensioned string?

bennerman
03-31-2011, 16:19
I think those look pretty good for what I need

At Q-components, loudspeakers are our stock and trade, not just a sideline. - Goldwood GW-2154 (http://shop.loudspeakers.ca/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=135&category_id=51&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=33)

At Q-components, loudspeakers are our stock and trade, not just a sideline. - Eminence LEGEND 1258 (http://shop.loudspeakers.ca/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=360&category_id=26&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=33)

bennerman
04-03-2011, 18:22
since I don't use the g-string anyway, I tossed it, moved the strings up one slot, and am buying a b-string

tacofranklin
04-03-2011, 18:56
drop A tuning?...sounds heavy..going to have to try it.

bennerman
04-03-2011, 19:29
drop A tuning?...sounds heavy..going to have to try it.

well I may go down a step and bring it down to A

TwistedSister209
04-04-2011, 21:17
since I don't use the g-string anyway, I tossed it, moved the strings up one slot, and am buying a b-string

Thank goodness, B-man.
Most men don't wear those well, and you are still a kid!

bennerman
04-04-2011, 21:39
Thank goodness, B-man.
Most men don't wear those well, and you are still a kid!

I was waiting for someone to do that :P

russp
04-05-2011, 09:31
well I may go down a step and bring it down to A

If you stay with the "B" as your low string, the interval between strings will stay the same and all your chord and scale patterns will still work. If you drop to "A", it gets a little weird.

russp
04-05-2011, 09:32
I'm going to be showing my age here (OK, it's posted under Milo's picture) but who are the hot bass players now? When I was still playing, we all wanted to be either Jaco Pastorius or Stanley Clarke; I was a Jaco fan.

bennerman
04-05-2011, 09:49
I'm going to drop all of the strings a step if I do that. Anyways, I have no idea who the hot bassists are these days, it's mostly synth now, it seems. I still like John Entwistle and Geezer Butler.

Anyways, I need to replace my bridge pickup, thinking of trying out a home-made one. Anyone know where I can get a really strong bar or pole magnet to use? (seems easier than trying to glue individual ones when they are all attracted to eachother)

russp
04-05-2011, 12:45
Edmund Scientific: educational toys, gifts, hobby supplies & science equipment (http://www.scientificsonline.com/)

Not sure how magnets are rated but they carry quite a few.

bennerman
04-05-2011, 14:42
Thanks. Also working in preliminary designs for a home made 5 string

bennerman
04-05-2011, 17:37
so I come home with my strings, thinking "I am going to have a
crapload of trouble tuning this", so I open my audio tuner to find that they updated it to
support 5-string basses :o

bennerman
04-07-2011, 01:43
Found 6 salvaged speakers for 5 dollars total, at that price, what's the worry to try it?

Plan: Get into the school Guitar Ensemble, put on glow in the dark strings, nail polish, and hair dye. Turn on a blacklight half-way through Hotel California. No way in hell they will try to stop me half-way through XD

bennerman
04-09-2011, 16:17
Les Claypool! He's frigging awesome too

bennerman
05-16-2011, 16:33
Anyone know where I can get a 5 or 6 string left handed P-bass or J-bass that is affordible? I haven't even been able to find one by Fender. The plan is to mod a 5 string into a 6 string like this guy did: Squier Deluxe Jazz Active 6-string? Yep! (pics) - TalkBass Forums (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/squier-deluxe-jazz-active-6-string-yep-pics-391653/)

bennerman
05-17-2011, 18:25
sorry to hectuple post, but are there any slap bassists in the house? I just can't get this

mm2002
05-18-2011, 05:50
Probably the worlds best bassist, and three of the best musicians who ever lived (my opinion of course)

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Geddy+Lee+Rush+Time+Machine+Tour+MGM+Grand+2KawB7S SaIVl.jpg

bennerman
05-18-2011, 09:10
Probably the worlds best bassist, and three of the best musicians who ever lived (my opinion of course)

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Geddy+Lee+Rush+Time+Machine+Tour+MGM+Grand+2KawB7S SaIVl.jpg

Duh. Geddy Lee is definitely in my top 5 bassists, but Les Claypool is the greatest IMO