PDA

View Full Version : Split Fins (comments) & Ankle Issue

porsche060
09-15-2007, 16:50
I used Split Fins and had no problems except for trying to stand on wooden boardwalk platform (part of fin would go down it)...

Spoke to someone who claimed the navy said not to use Split Fin. Assuming this is a myth?

On a seperate issue I noticed my ankle gets very tired after around 5-10 min of kicking so I need to use my hands or rest a little. Noticed this in pool with reg fins or split fin. Anyone else notice this?

dludwig
09-15-2007, 17:01
I was given split fins when I did the Dive Quest "tour" at Disney. 40 minutes wasn't much of a test but I kinda liked them (at least enough to know I must try them more thoroughly). :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
09-15-2007, 17:19
I just saw the advanced article on fins from next months scuba diving magazine... again - the apollo bio fins were right on top for open heel fins. In thrust, speed and slolom course, adding it all up - the clear winners were the bio's and also the atomic rated up there with them.

The new scuba pro's got hammered - very bad scores, and a lot of others fell in between. But I've been a believer since the first time I tried them... and there it is tested and proven again!

meesier42
09-15-2007, 17:59
not the Navy, NOAA has banned them, based on 3 divers your f-up an ice dive and drowned while wearing Splits.

“They’re fine for light diving or snorkeling but if you’re
weighted down or fighting a current, split fins don’t provide
the propulsion you need,” says Lieutenant Erik Johnson
of the NOAA Diving Center

The report also states "Investigators determined that

something pulled them down but could not explain what
it was." whatever governement coverup crap that is.

I have the official report on my desk at work, but I am on vacation and I am not going in to get it.

Oh, I have to mention, if you are having ankle issues you should try switching to Force Fins, the will work wonders on helping your ankles feel better

porsche060
09-15-2007, 21:36
Which force fins are good for ankles?

Travelnsj
09-15-2007, 21:49
I have the Scuba Pro graphite twin jet split fins and I have dove in some pretty strong currents....I love them....and for travel they are lite! I have tried a couple of other manufactures and they feel like boards on my feet.

Kidder
09-15-2007, 22:35
I have scuba pros and liked them. I have also dove apollos and liked them as well. I'm wondering if scuba pro didn't try to make thier design a bit to complicated.

kevinj1
09-16-2007, 15:48
I use these Scuba pro's and wouldnt switch for the world. No ankle issues either.

Kidder
09-16-2007, 20:55
I use these Scuba pro's and wouldnt switch for the world. No ankle issues either.

Those are the ones I have. They do work pretty well. My ankles are fine too. I'm thinking of getting the spring straps though, it looks like they make putting on your fins much easier.

islandguy
09-16-2007, 21:14
After reading all the articles about the apollo bio fins, I bought them. They are a great split fin.

jra76040
09-25-2007, 20:43
Here's the low down my friend from someone who has been diving since age 7. (43 years of diving).

Split Fins - I've had 2 pairs: 1 soft, 1 stiff. Both significantly reduced ankle and hamstring fatigue BUT:

Findings:

Soft - Fine IF there is NO current. Absolutely USELESS IN CURRENT. Otherwise fine. But let's be real, you're going to hit currents at some point (like going back to the boat) and then you're going NOWHERE.

Stiff - MUCH BETTER. Worked fine against current. Get the stiffer, reinforced split fins like the ones that you are inquiring about. Brother Larry is correct in leading you towards the stiffer Apollo fins - DO IT!