PDA

View Full Version : Airfare - Wow!!

snagel
03-31-2011, 06:53
So the wife started researching our annual fall trip to the islands....not sure where. She really wants to go back to Bonaire (She's been there, but never as a diver). This would be our 3rd trip and hey I love Bonaire; so, it's fine with me. But, I also want to see other places as well so it really doesn't matter to me but the ease of the shore diving Bonaire offers is calling my name.

Dang!!!!! The cost of the flights is incredible. We are looking for a trip in November and airfare as listed right now is pushing $1000/person. I sure hope this comes down sometime this year.

Snagel

Vercingetorix
03-31-2011, 07:06
Uh, probably not. There are 30% fewer flights. Supply and demand. As you get closer to flight date, the fares go up.

Straegen
03-31-2011, 07:52
Flights rarely go down in price significantly. To even out Bonaire a diver has to make up that ticket cost across the dives. It is one reason why Cozumel is attractive to us as the flight is usually 1/2 or 2/3 the cost of a Bonaire ticket.

TRACI
03-31-2011, 08:10
Airfare is ridiculous. I really want to go back to Roatan this year, paid $325 last year from Houston on Taca, now can't find anything under $750. Atleast if you just shore dive in Bonaire, kind of balances out paying the higher airfare. I love Bonaire too, my hubby does not enjoy it as much, but I enjoy the freedom of no schedules.

snagel
03-31-2011, 08:22
That is what is great about Bonaire.....once your there no schedules and no per boat charge unless you want to do a boat dive.

We went to Roatan last year and had a great time also. This year we might have to skip the exotic vacation and maybe stay in the states (if airfare is reasonable that way - maybe check out the Keys). I can say I'm not paying $1000 per person to fly. It's ridiculous as Traci says. I hate to see the impact this will have on the islands who depend on tourism. Maybe there will be some cut rate deals at the resorts that will help to balance out the cost of flying, but the resorts have to make money too.

I know the cost of fuel and everything else is going up, but at some point people simply cannot reasonable afford to fly.

Snagel

TRACI
03-31-2011, 08:29
What is also really hard to understand, is when I see airfare flying from US to Europe for less money than flying from Texas to Caribbean. :smiley29:

scubastud
03-31-2011, 09:18
Please do not try to figure out or understand airfares. Therein lies madness.

BRsnow
03-31-2011, 12:37
Also try clearing your cache and cookies before you check fares. Your prices will probably be different. The website knows what you have paid and your shopping profile, so you will get rates they think you can pay. Everyone gets different prices based on how they shop and sites they visit on the web. BR

TJDiver
03-31-2011, 13:01
Please do not try to figure out or understand airfares. Therein lies madness.

Airfare...women...interchangeable in this context. :smiley36:

Our airfare to Roatan this June is $890 each...ouch!...but, I've been saying "someday" for a CoCo View trip since the 80's...so, it's time...screw the airfare. :smiley2:

MWD_Dave
03-31-2011, 13:20
If you want a fun diving adventure give Blackbeard's Cruises in the Bahamas a shot. Depending on the amount of diving you want to do and/or room you want you can consider one of their mono-hulls like the Morningstar or a Cat like Cat Ppalu. My fiance and I did a week long trip on the Morningstar for $900/person. We did 24 dives in 6 days. As crazy as it sounds it was pretty amazing. Shark dives, drift dives, Thunderball Grotto, great people and good food. The only thing I'll say however is that it's pretty tight sleeping quarters. But we spent most of our time on deck or in the water so it wasn't much of an issue. Eventually we'd like to go back and try the Cat Ppalu a do a more relaxed (and roomy) dive adventure with them. ;)

emclean
03-31-2011, 14:08
the price of airfare is the reason that i am driving down to Florida this summer. it will be slighter cheaper to drive that to fly, and I can ernt all the needed gear form my local shop where i already have a relationship!

Straegen
03-31-2011, 14:24
Also try clearing your cache and cookies before you check fares. Your prices will probably be different. The website knows what you have paid and your shopping profile, so you will get rates they think you can pay. Everyone gets different prices based on how they shop and sites they visit on the web. BR

Alternatively you could use Chrome or similar and browse in the Incognito mode.

TJDiver
03-31-2011, 14:39
If you want a fun diving adventure give Blackbeard's Cruises in the Bahamas a shot. Depending on the amount of diving you want to do and/or room you want you can consider one of their mono-hulls like the Morningstar or a Cat like Cat Ppalu. My fiance and I did a week long trip on the Morningstar for $900/person. We did 24 dives in 6 days. As crazy as it sounds it was pretty amazing. Shark dives, drift dives, Thunderball Grotto, great people and good food. The only thing I'll say however is that it's pretty tight sleeping quarters. But we spent most of our time on deck or in the water so it wasn't much of an issue. Eventually we'd like to go back and try the Cat Ppalu a do a more relaxed (and roomy) dive adventure with them. ;)

I've been out on the Blackbeard's sailboats five times...and, you're right...it's a blast! I took my son on his first trip with them last summer, and he still refers to that as the best week of his life. :smiley2:

TRACI
03-31-2011, 15:03
Looks like Coz is still in my price range, but still alot more expensive than what I have paid for in the past. Will have to do some Florida diving this year.

scubagirlj
03-31-2011, 15:03
.....trip to GC in dec...$35.00...(frequent flyer miles and ability to plan waaaaaay out)......did notice that fll to coz was about a grand, ridiculous!...oh darn, guess i'll just have to get in the car & drive either 5 mins, or 5 hrs, to dive....

fire diver
03-31-2011, 17:34
Yeah, its really a shame. Last year there were price wars, airfare to Coz was about $300. Now it's about 3 times higher, even though fuel costs have only gone up about 20 percent.

Straegen
03-31-2011, 18:12
Coz is still a good deal IMO. The plan ride is still several hundred but find a place to eat, dive and stay can be had cheap. The cost to go to Florida is similar but having to rent a car adds to that bill as well. Probably doesn't help many but I check out Clark Howards site:

Today's Travel Deals | www.clarkhoward.com (http://www.clarkhoward.com/travel/atlanta-travel-deals/)

SEMO Scuba
03-31-2011, 21:14
I went to the Keys last July and had a great time, but you can go to Cozumel for the same or maybe even less money.

dawnvip
03-31-2011, 22:07
Try www.yapta.com (http://www.yapta.com)

You can set up a free account and they will notify you when your chosen flight price changes. They will also track prices for tix that you have already bought... some airlines like Alaskan give refunds if the price goes down!

Diver Kat
04-01-2011, 00:00
I'm just glad we booked all our tickets EARLY for this year!!! Since purchasing, our May tickets for FL have increased $300+; July has increased $100+; and November to Coz is already up $100+ .....

Have to agree with Straegen & SEMO - although tickets to Coz can cost more, once you get there, lodging, food & diving are all pretty darn cheap! Not sure we'd go to Florida at all if it was based on total cost, but we have a time-share that we use to go to the Keys, so that helps keep expenses down.

Herbdb
04-01-2011, 10:22
Looks like Coz is still in my price range, but still alot more expensive than what I have paid for in the past. Will have to do some Florida diving this year.

I have done both and from my experience, unless you can easily drive to the keys, Coz is a better deal. For example on our last week long trip to Key Largo the expenses were roughly $1500 each for 7 nights and six days of diving. Unless you drive, you have factor in a rental car and meals and lodging are expensive in the Keys.

For a couple of hundred more we could have none a week at Scuba Club Cozumel. More and better diving, much better food. I like the Keys, but they are not a real bargain.

TRACI
04-04-2011, 08:58
I was thinking some Fl panhandle diving, instead of the Keys, I know Keys are pricey..........

scubagirlj
04-04-2011, 16:19
..anyone game enough to fly southwest should get SOME kind of credit.....