PDA

View Full Version : How's your bouyancy?

PlatypusMan
07-13-2007, 17:36
How many of you out there are happy with your buoyancy?

How did you determine the amount of weight you needed to carry in order to stay neutrally buoyant? Did your instructor tell you? -- or was it by guess and by golly?

Just for grins, tell us how much weight you started with and if you're feeling really brave, how much weight you now use.

bmp51
07-13-2007, 17:45
well I learned how to get weight right in my OW class (the whole almost empty tank w\ whatever suit I would be wearing, and add weight \ remove weight until with my BC totally deflated, I sink to eye level when I have a full breath, and then go under when I exhale.... <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

but I started with 22 lbs (because that is what they gave me) until I understood weight and buoyancy control... and now I dive with 10 lbs freshwater, 12 salt (shortly wet suit)

cummings66
07-13-2007, 18:41
I am not happy with mine now. My technical instructor asked me that question, I said I'm ok with it. He told me I need to hold a stop at 20 feet and do valve drills,mask clearing, flooded drysuitand even more without moving more than 6 inches up or down. I don't think I can do that so I'll say I'm not happy with mine now. When I meet that I'll be happy. In the meantime, I do not ever hit anything I do not intend on hitting, no contact with rocks, bottom, anything. I am where I want to be, I just can't hold 6 inches and get task loaded.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I started after OW with 18 lbs and a jacket style BC and AL80 tanks. Got down to 16 lbs.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Moved to a BP/W and steel tanks. I wear no weight belt with my Viking Sport suit, and 8 lbs with my Viking Extreme drysuit. With a 7mm wetsuit with hood, gloves, booties I use nothing and am a bit heavy. This is all fresh water diving.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The steel tanks are PST and Norris made tanks for Sherwood and Genesis, about 2 lbs negative empty.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

FishFood
07-13-2007, 18:55
Mines decent, but there is room for improvement. My control got better after i figured out i wasnt getting all the air out of my BC. Heh, new BC, took me a few minutes to figure out why I was still floating...

frankc420
07-14-2007, 11:51
I haven't had a chance to get my buoyancy right yet with my new BP/W setup. So no, I'm not happy with it! :)

But it shouldn't be to hard to figure out what you need on your belt, with a full tank, sit at the surface and add weight until your mask is half way covered, then add 2lb. That should get you pretty close to where you want to be. (with an AL80, and in my experience, which is limited)

Queen
07-14-2007, 13:06
I'm comfortable with mine, and I use 18lbs wearing a 3/2 in fresh water.

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:34
i think it could always be better.
i'm happy... but there's always room to improve and that's what everyone should be working towards... right?

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:36
oh... and i'm 10 lbs integrated weights with a rear-inflate bc.

plot
07-14-2007, 18:45
I'm happy with my bouyancy and trim in a 7mm, in freshwater. In a crushed neoprene drysuit I had some trouble, but I think I just had a crappy drysuit. With a 3mm wetsuit, I don't need any weight which messes with my trim since I normally have a weight on my tank to offset the belt weights a bit. I've yet to dive a 3 this season though, so I'll mess with it when I get there.

Rascal1933
07-15-2007, 13:21
Well ....
<DIV>OW training dives (ocean/saltwater) &gt; 20lbs.</DIV>
<DIV>AOW training 1yr. later (ocean/saltwater)&gt; 14lbs.</DIV>
<DIV>Peak Performance Buoyancy class in August should help drop a few more pounds....</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers,</DIV>
<DIV>R.</DIV>

crab lover
07-16-2007, 06:36
18lbs with AL80
8lbs with HP100
Started with 22lbs with the AL80, and my dive buddy (mentor, although whe hates it when I call her that!) has helped me shed a lot of the weight and I redistributed a lot of the weight with the AL80 to the trim pockets (jacket style BC). I am much more comfortable than I was 3 months ago, but I still have a way to go! I may try 6lbs with the HP100 this weekend and see how that goes! Practice, practice, practice!

rainmaker
07-16-2007, 08:57
I'm happy with mine, but it has taken a while.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_&#079;nMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0"></DIV>
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_&#079;nMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">I use 8 pounds in freshwater, 14 - 16 pounds in salt water. I might be able to get by witha bit lessin salt water, but when there are a bunch of divers descending at the same time, Idon't likebeing the onlyone lefton the surface who isstruggling to descend. That canreally gets a dive off to a rough start.</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 10:23
OW (Jan 07), 7mm farmer john, Zeagle Brigade fresh water: 32 pounds
<DIV>AOW (Apr 07), 7mm farmer john, SS BP/W, fresh water: 16 pounds</DIV>
<DIV>3mm full suit, SS BP/W, fresh water: 0 (in fact, I'm overweighted)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm happy with buoyancy, but not trim. I'm leg or fin heavy. I need to flutter kick with ankles to maintain horizontal; otherwise, I go vertical. I'd buy new fins, but I really like my Mares Velocity hybrids.</DIV>

Queen
07-16-2007, 10:55
<div>I'm happy with buoyancy, but not trim. I'm leg or fin heavy. I need to flutter kick with ankles to maintain horizontal; otherwise, I go vertical. I'd buy new fins, but I really like my Mares Velocity hybrids.</div>
Since I got a new Oceanic BC with small weight pockets on the back (by the shoulders) I put a 2# weight in each pocket and my trim is spot on.

cummings66
07-16-2007, 11:51
My trim is good, buoyancy standards vary. Do we talk recreational or technical. If technical then I'm not satisfied, if recreational them I'm fine. Of course that means I'm not completely satisfied as I said earlier. There's always something I can do better, and I vow to work on it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>For Vercingetorix, on the farmer John I'm guessing you have trim issues and not the 3mm, try placing all your weight on the BP/W and none elsewhere. Use tank bands to hold your weight if needed, but be sure to brief you buddy as to where your weights are.</DIV>

tx.lakerat
07-16-2007, 13:35
I think that everyone at some point likes to refresh the amount of weight they carry. I carry more when working with students usually. Otherwise I think I have pretty good buoyancy (but it helps when you work on your skills on a frequent basis)

georoc01
07-16-2007, 14:05
Well, after 22 dives, I am still not happy with mine. And I think its related to breathing.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>When I was down in Cozumel I would have good balance at the bottom and would slowly start to inch up. the further from the bottom I was, the faster I would ascend, then I would dump air and start again.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Diving locally last weekend, my problem was bouancy near the bottom when I was trying to stay horizontal working my compass. I found myself touching the bottom to hold off the bottom. Depth was much more shallow, not getting any deeper than about 18 feet.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Started with 24 lbs, and 14 lbs..down to 20 and 10 respectively.</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 15:00
<DIV>For Vercingetorix, on the farmer John I'm guessing you have trim issues and not the 3mm, try placing all your weight on the BP/W and none elsewhere. Use tank bands to hold your weight if needed, but be sure to brief you buddy as to where your weights are.</DIV> Thanks, however, as I mentioned, I have ZERO lead with BP/W and 3mm suit. My trim issue is with 3mm suit and BP/W. There are no weights to move from weight belt. Therefore, all my weight is already on my back; it is my backplate itself.

jhinds
07-16-2007, 15:01
I started diving about 4-5 years ago and probaly carried about 18lbs for salt water diving in a 3mm shorty. I have gotten that down to 8lbs in the same shorty over that time.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I did some fresh water the past couple of weeks in Rescue Class and I was diving 8lbs in a Full 3mm suit and felt a lilttle heavy, probably could have been comfortable with 6lbs. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Overall I feel good about bouancy, I know I'm not hitting bottom or dragging equipment across the reef. I can also avoid other divers which I remember when I was a newbie it was diffucult just to stay in "my own space"... It's a work in progress!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Jason</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

plot
07-16-2007, 17:33
<DIV>For Vercingetorix, on the farmer John I'm guessing you have trim issues and not the 3mm, try placing all your weight on the BP/W and none elsewhere. Use tank bands to hold your weight if needed, but be sure to brief you buddy as to where your weights are.</DIV> Thanks, however, as I mentioned, I have ZERO lead with BP/W and 3mm suit. My trim issue is with 3mm suit and BP/W. There are no weights to move from weight belt. Therefore, all my weight is already on my back; it is my backplate itself.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have the same issue in a 3mm. Right now I have a stainless steel backplate that weighs around 5 or 6lbs. I might have to replace it with that stainless steel/Kydex hybrid thing DSS sells for diving in warm water so I can still stick a weight on my tank to even up my trim.</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 20:30
have to be honest mine sucks still learning only been diving for a few months but im working on it

woody
07-16-2007, 23:39
Well I'm working on it. But I always am.
<DIV></DIV>

cummings66
07-16-2007, 23:58
Your trim is feet down isn't it Plot? The DSS plate has weight plates that bolt on and make the plate weight 13 lbs. That much weight centered over you lungs might help you more than you think because once you lose the weight on your hips your legs will come up higher.

Vercingetorix
07-17-2007, 08:06
[Thanks, however, as I mentioned, I have ZERO lead with BP/W and 3mm suit. My trim issue is with 3mm suit and BP/W. There are no weights to move from weight belt. Therefore, all my weight is already on my back; it is my backplate itself.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have the same issue in a 3mm. Right now I have a stainless steel backplate that weighs around 5 or 6lbs. I might have to replace it with that stainless steel/Kydex hybrid thing DSS sells for diving in warm water so I can still stick a weight on my tank to even up my trim.</DIV> My backplate is steel as well. I have an aluminum plate. I may rig that and try it. I hadn't heard of the DSS hybrid thingie; I'll look at that.

medic001918
07-17-2007, 11:23
My bouyancy and trim is okay. But there's ALWAYS room for improvement. I had a few problems when I started diving in a drysuit this year, but it's been resolved and I'm comfortable now in it. I do think that I'm going to take a bouyancy course though. Maybe over the winter that will be a good way to improve and keep my skills sharp during the winter months.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

cummings66
07-17-2007, 21:33
http://www.extreme-exposure.com/newsletter/ediver/August_2005.pdf
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Read the section on buoyancy and see what you think. Their newletters there by the way have some interesting ideas and reading.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-18-2007, 14:50
My buoyancy/trim is OK, certainly nothing to write home about. During OW with just the top portion of a farmers john I was wearing 24 lbs. I typically dive a 3mm in fresh water with 12 lbs but could probably drop that to 10 lbs. I do prefer to dive a little heavy in case I need to grab someone who has got a little too buoyant, that's happened a few times now. I am a pretty big guy at 260 lbs so it does take some lead to sink me.

plot
07-19-2007, 17:21
Your trim is feet down isn't it Plot? The DSS plate has weight plates that bolt on and make the plate weight 13 lbs. That much weight centered over you lungs might help you more than you think because once you lose the weight on your hips your legs will come up higher.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I put a weight on my top tank strap, pulls me forward quite a bit. I'm happy with it, but I only need all that weight in a 7mm... don't need any weight in a 3mm.</DIV>

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 17:28
I admire the people who can float motionless in a column of water for as long as they want to. I never had a problem with buoyancy but I am not that good yet. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

cummings66
07-19-2007, 22:35
I have my days. Trim is the name of the game to float motionless.

gunnarman
07-20-2007, 19:06
my buoancy sucks, i trim feet down, in ow in a 7mil with36#(yeah im a fat guy). now with a 3 mil i have 20# fresh/22# salt. but by golly i'll be straight like superman and float like a fish one of these days!

the gooch
07-20-2007, 21:37
During my OW class in fresh water I was told to use 22 pounds-- ok, what the heck did I know. So during the checkout dives I never fully felt comfortable and was cursing the back inflate BC because at the surface it was attempting to drown me face down because of the weight.

I now use 10-12 lbs depending on my suit in saltwater. I would like to go back to the springs to see how much lead I would need in fresh water just to compare.

wxboy911
07-21-2007, 19:40
As of right now I am happy with my boyancy...when in my 5/7 semi dry I take 18lbs and it works pretty well. Last month I was diving in the Gulf and did not need gloves or my 7/5 so I took 10lbs. I may try to drop a couple of lbs this weekend at the Lake and see how it goes.

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 20:38
My bouyancy and trim is okay. But there's ALWAYS room for improvement. I had a few problems when I started diving in a drysuit this year, but it's been resolved and I'm comfortable now in it. I do think that I'm going to take a bouyancy course though. Maybe over the winter that will be a good way to improve and keep my skills sharp during the winter months.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Drysuit diving is a different world when it comes to bouyancy. The first few dives I felt like a yo yo. I just got a new drysuit and hope I won't have any problems.</DIV>

medic001918
07-21-2007, 21:28
If you're used to drysuit diving, I wouldn't anticipate it being a major change for you.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Shane

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 23:54
I don't think it will be that much difference between suits the only major difference will be to get my weighting correct again.

cummings66
07-22-2007, 16:20
Buoyancy is much more than how much weight it takes to make you neutral, it's about control. Can you drop down and stop exactly where you want and then stay there without moving a muscle?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If so you have good buoyancy control. I can do part of that 100% of the time, the stopping part. The not moving part is something I'm working on. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. By that I mean can I do my entire 3 minute stop without moving a muscle? Not always.</DIV>

WaterRat
07-22-2007, 16:47
I'm right there with Cummings66. Sounds like he may be a bit more dialed in than me. I'm doing good with holding a depth abut lose it a little when I start adding tasks. Also I'm still geting used to moving air around in the doubles wings so I can use the rear dump while doing horizontal ascents.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

cutter77
07-22-2007, 17:32
Started with 16 and LS Shorty. Dropped to 12 after a tip from the late Martin of DWM in Coz.....unzip wetsuit and flush it with plenty of water before duck divingon first dive. Next dive will be a piece of cake!

PlatypusMan
07-24-2007, 14:05
Thank you everyone for your input.

Keep it coming!!

Skinsfan1311
07-25-2007, 11:29
I'm pretty comfortable in the water, but I have a long ways to go.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In salt water, I started with 14 lbs, (with a 3/2 shorty), and have since gotten down to 8 lbs.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In fresh water, with the same suit, I think it's around 4 lbs, but I've only done a couple since being certified and I can't remember.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I do remember the certification dives, in a quarry in October. In a Farmer John, boots, vest, gloves, etc., I had to wear 30 lbs on a weight belt! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The toughest skill to demo, on that cold day, was removing and putting the weight belt back on. On the surface, the instructor had us remove the belt, and show it to him, then put it back on. My problem was that they're were so many friggin' weights, that there wasn't too much slack left to thread the belt back through the buckle.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In hindsight, I'm grateful that it was tough, as the subsequent use of weightbelts, seemed so much easier after that experience.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've since converted to a back-inflate, with integrated weights....</DIV>

ParrotHead
07-27-2007, 12:00
Lets put it this way - PPB is in my future!!!

-PH

cummings66
07-27-2007, 14:36
I'm trying to dive like Uncle Pug myself. Have you ever flipped on your back in a drysuit and tried to stay neutral directly above the bottom? It's very tough to do and I can't do it like he can. So far I'm doing the hoops upside down to make buoyancy control more difficult, plus it's good to be different.

lucidblue
07-30-2007, 13:26
Mine needs much more practice.

texdiveguy
07-30-2007, 13:35
I work on my bouyancy and trim each dive....always improving.

cummings66
07-30-2007, 15:47
Me too, but I'm never happy with it. I'd like to be like some zen artist doing it, something like my buddy I dive with. You'd have to see him to believe it. I mean it's like he's a picture setting there to your right, he's always there, no visible movement, no silt anywhere, not even when he's 6 inches off the bottom. It's unbelievable, and I'm lucky enough that he'll dive with me. I want to be that good.

Cheddarchick
07-30-2007, 18:25
LOL depends on what I carry along....1st dive 7mm farmer john, gloves, boots 30lbs plus. now 7mm with a 5mm hooded vest, gloves, boots I was at 16 last weekend. But I was lugging a negative camera with strobe, flashlight, when I took off the stobe, I seemed a little light, so I did a test at 500 psi, and figured out 16 is right, but seems a little light without the strobe....

georoc01
07-30-2007, 19:35
I have a good friend like that Cummings. Was like that on her first dive. I think some people are just naturals when I comes to this and the rest of us just have to keep working on it.

cummings66
07-30-2007, 19:54
I do ok, I won't say I'm at the top of the heap however. I've seen a lot of divers and this buddy is better than anybody I've ever seen. I mean this guy could teach Jarrod Jablonski or George Irvine a thing or two about buoyancy. He's that good. I have never in my life seen a diver that together. He's a technical diver and we sometimes do dives together when we meet up, but man, he's my inspiration.

I pride myself on not silting up the areas I go through but I can't do it 6 inches off the bottom without lots of effort. He lives to dive though and even has his own trailer with several sets of doubles, drysuits, compressor, trimix setups, you name it and its in that trailer.

He's also one of the most humble divers you'll ever meet and he'll dive with anybody, at least he dives with me and my buddies. We're definitely not in his league. To get as good as he is takes practice, some day I'll ask him how many dives he has. I don't need to know but I am curious as to how long it took to get where he's at.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 15:30
Im pretty happy with mine. In a wetsuit, i couldnt be happier. In a drysuit, I'm happy enough for my expereince. i just stared diving dry this year so i only have around 40 dry dives so it's almost as good as my buoyancy wet.

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 20:00
Im very happy with my buoyancy. My weights depend on where Im diving and what exposure suit Im wearing. In Cozumel with a 3 mil shorty I wear 10lbs. Im a little heavy at the beginning, but about right when the tank is low during the safety stop. In the lake in April, in a 7/5 semidry I wear around 16 lbs for personal use, but carry extra for students.

3rdEye
08-06-2007, 11:30
i feel i get better with every dive....and being as I don't have many under my belt, there's a lot of room for improvement.

I just got new equipment, including a back inflate BC, which helps a lot with the trim, now that I finally got to use it. I need to get my weight dialed in, and practice practice practice.....

One thing I had a problem with this weekend - diving in a lake, with at spots poor visibilty - is there's often times nothing to look at as a reference point, literally sometimes it's just blue all around you, kind of like being in the middle of nowhere, so I can't really tell if I'm going up or down, without looking at my computer. It's a problem on safety stops and even just swimming from place to place....once I found a place where I could see something to get level with at 15', I was able to sit there and not kick, and not float up...just found the sweet spot and hovered perfectly.

cummings66
08-06-2007, 18:33
Once when I had my trim right, I was able to stay in place at any attitude I chose to be in. Right now I've identified a change I'm going to make and I think my trim will be spot on. I'm working on changing it because a stage bottle changed it slightly and I've got to do something for fun.

To me getting your trim perfect is fun, nailing buoyancy is also a fun activity to engage in. I like both of those. To me anything I can do to improve my skills and is a challenge is fun, I live for that.