PDA

View Full Version : DDCN Beaver trip report

fire diver
04-17-2011, 10:10
OK, I'll add my view of things (a very dry view) from the last DDCN get together.

I left home on Friday morning with the intent of getting in some shore diving before the Saturday get together. When I loaded my car is was cold, raining, and the wind was ripping out of the west. It stayed that way the entire 4.5 hour drive over to the lake. So, there was no way I was going to gear up in the rain.

The next morning, it was still still cloudy, windy, but the temp had dropped to 38. I think the wind chill was about -50. I was styling in my drysuit undies with orange thermal socks. I always try to set the fashion bar high. We only ended up with 10 divers total, with Bud driving the floating grill.

We made our way out to Helicopter Cove for the first dive. It's amazing with all the submerged trees there that setting an anchor could be such a chore. Eventually, one of the divers jumped in to manually set the anchor. During gear up, I found that my octo picked that day to free flow. I couldn't get it to stop, so I geared down and stayed dry. :smiley19: Reports from the divers coming back up was that the vis was pretty poor at this spot, with people getting seperated and having trouble finding the underwater attractions.

Second dive was at a foundations site I didn't know about in the middle of the lake. The marker bouy should make it an easy find next trip! Reports were that the vis was excellent here, but I had to take thier word for it.

Hopefully everyone else will add thier own reports here along with pics.

Even without diving it was still a fun time.

417Diver
04-17-2011, 11:10
It was a nasty weekend of cold temps. We need to do another dive in the summer so we can get some warm water and air temps for a better time. Bull shoals by the dam in Arkansas has some really good dive attractions I was told. To bad the weather had to take a crap on this weekend.

Godfather1138
04-17-2011, 12:25
I was wondering how this went with the nasty weather we ended up getting. Any reports on current water temps?

snagel
04-17-2011, 15:08
I was thinking about you guys when I got up Saturday morning for a baseball tournament and it was 30ish degrees and raining....yuck.

If you have pictures and stories, send them to me at snagel@midwestmuckdiving.com We would like to put together a Featured Dive Trip Posting for this trip.

Snagel

Vlane
04-17-2011, 19:52
First dive at Copter cove was somewhat challenging, even without the anchor problems. We entered the water about 50 yards from the buoy that was supposed to be attached to the helicopter. Lou and I set a heading for the buoy, dropped down the anchor line, and started off on our heading. Vis started out around 5-10' so I was a bit worried whether or not we'd hit any of the sites. With some luck we came upon a sunken boat, but just barely. From there we followed the line past another boat, a motorcycle, a jet ski. At the jet ski we found the line to the next area was cut and again luck was on our side and we were able to find the other end of the line about 20' away. Following that line we came upon the plane, chainsaws, and the other plane. With our air starting to run low we abandoned the search for the helicopter and headed back towards the boat. After a safety stop we surfaced and made our way back to the boat for lunch and a surface interval.

For dive two Lou had to sit out due to ear issues so I buddied up with Dwayne. Vis at the foundations was great topping out possibly around +30'. Following the line from the foundations we made our way through the statues to the bus. We did the swim through and did some pictures with a few of the statues and made our way back to the foundations. I wasn't aware of the wall dive so close to the foundations, bottomdweller can give you a report on that, so Dwayne and I surfaced and boarded the boat one last time.

It was a good couple of dives but surface situations definitely had room for improvement, that wind was brutal! Hopefully the next DDCN meeting we can get a few more people and better weather. Thanks for everyone who came out and to bottomdweller for renting the boat out. I'll get some pictures and videos up soon!

Bigg_Budd
04-18-2011, 16:24
man - dive one SUCKED and the waves beat our a$$. bottomdweller rammed my boat and now i have bronchitis.

good times!

fire diver
04-18-2011, 16:39
man - dive one SUCKED and the waves beat our a$$. bottomdweller rammed my boat and now i have bronchitis.

good times!

Sounds like a typical DDCN dive outing! LOL

Thanks again for the brats, they were great!

Bigg_Budd
04-18-2011, 18:15
those weren't brats. they were earl campbell hot links. show some respect, man... ;)

Vlane
04-19-2011, 00:10
Having some troubles posting pics/videos due to some forum issues.. Will have them up tomorrow, hopefully.

navyhmc
04-19-2011, 02:38
Glad to know there was a little fun to be had. Sounds like a typical DDCN weekend. Wish I could have been there, but along with the shoulder, I've been almost nonstop at work.

bottomdweller
04-19-2011, 15:03
Okay, I have some pictures & will get them up & to snagel soon. Dive one did suck & it didn't help that I tried to put Budds boat next to the plane at 60ft. Dive two was much better as Vlane said the vis was great, best I have ever seen at Beaver. We went to the bus & checked out all the statues then headed south to drop over the wall to about 68ft (very cool wall dive) then back to the foundations for our safety stop & back on the boat. everyone was pretty cold & miserable by this time so we headed back to the marina. By the time we got back the weather had improved quite a bit. Shoot to retreive & his wife did another dive that afternoon right by our campsites & said the vis was good there as well. The best day for diving turned out to be Sunday, we hit the bluffs & checked out the statues & other stuff there before heading back to the campground to pack up & head home. Not the best weekend of diving but My wife & I still had a good time & it was nice to meet all the people we had not met before. Thanks to Budd for lunch & again sorry about that nice new dent on your boat, I owe you big for that. I'm thinking April is maybe not the time we should try this get together. I will post pics when I get some time, I have been running non stop ever since we left on Sunday afternoon.

shoot2retrieve
04-19-2011, 19:43
After waking up sick on Friday to start a weekend that I had been looking forward to for so long was very frustrating. So the weather on Friday was a mixed blessing in the fact that it let me rest in the tent to ready for Saturday. Squaw and I had a great time. The first dive was difficult, but lunch was awesome, thanks Budd!! The foundations dive was a 180 degree turn from copter cove and was a blast. The shore dive at Lost Bridge that evening had some great vis and although limited attraction it was a very enjoyable dive. Sunday was also a great dive at Indian Creek with tons of fish around the boats and other attractions. Was a very fun weekend of diving and we even got the new camera out for the first time and took a few pics. Was great meeting everyone and I wish firediver could have got some dives in, however he was great support topside.

shoot2retrieve
04-19-2011, 19:48
A few more pics. Snagel you can use any of these if any of them are ok enough to use. I know we are greener than some of the water with the new camera!! I could also e-mail them if needed. Look forward to diving with you guys again sometime!!

fire diver
04-19-2011, 20:10
Great pics!

Splitlip
04-19-2011, 21:07
heh heh. you said beaver. :)

Davetowz
04-19-2011, 21:53
What kind of temps? I am hoping to be in Beaver this weekend...The lake Beaver. (inserted to stop minds from straying too far)

CWSWine
04-19-2011, 22:16
heh heh. you said beaver. :)

You mean you aren't certified!

snagel
04-20-2011, 04:42
The pic's are nice and it looks like the viz wasn't too bad in that area. What was the water temp? Did I miss that somewhere?

Definately want to put this up on the www.midwestmuckdiving.com (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) site. Keep the info coming. We are heading out to Norfork Lake this Friday for a week of diving. (If anybody is in the area look us up....we will be in and out of Jordan Marina).

Might not be able to get anything posted until we return....funny how this week is starting to fly by.

Snagel

Vlane
04-20-2011, 07:35
Here's my contribution. If anyone would like the original full sized images let me know and I can send them your way.

DDCN April Dive Pics (http://atdepth.imgur.com/ddcn_dive_41611#5IYX3)

Videos:
Copter Cove Plane 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM6oZTxAb_s)
Copter Cove Plane 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM6oZTxAb_s)
Copter Cove Chainsaws (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyQzyaYTz2I)
The Foundations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDAajKUAWcc)
The Bus and Statues at the Foundations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Ic9tud_Oc)

Godfather1138
04-21-2011, 08:40
Thanks for the pics and vids! It looks like there was still some good diving to be had that day. I still haven't seen anyone report on water temps though :(

snagel, I'll be looking forward to your Norfork report as I am wanting to get out there in a couple of weeks.

wheelman
04-21-2011, 08:52
I recorded 57f @ 50'

Godfather1138
04-21-2011, 10:58
thanks wheelman!

Davetowz
04-21-2011, 21:59
wow, thats wet suit territory!

navyhmc
04-22-2011, 10:33
wow, thats wet suit territory!

No, that's "Still" wet suit territory...:smiley36: A few of us went wet last year in 41f.

bottomdweller
04-22-2011, 22:03
I had 54 at the bus, (30ft) & yes that's still wetsuit territory.