PDA

View Full Version : East Coast wrecks?

Bring the Payne
09-15-2007, 21:14
I have always been a big history buff and loved seeing some of the old forts in the Carolinas. That got me wondering if there are any civil war era dive sites around that area? Ive got a friend that lives in Cary, NC so finding a good dive site on the coast would be a nice extra incentive to go visit! Any suggestions?

BobArnold8265
09-15-2007, 22:23
As a history buff, you'll love the wrecks off the coast of NC. There are U-boats, tankers, freighters, Civil War wrecks, sailing ships, artificial reefs & fishing vessels there from many different time periods. Check out this link for a list and full description of each wreck.

http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/shipwrecks.html

Bring the Payne
09-15-2007, 22:50
Awesome site!!! Thanks a lot.

plot
09-21-2007, 20:53
Can't imagine the civil war wrecks would be in very good shape, saw a world war 1 wreck off north carolina that was barely recognizable. Then again, there were so many fish on it vis was at about 3 feet.

You'll love the world war 2 stuff though... check out the U-352 and the Papoose.

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 10:40
You may be interested in diving the USS Huron, a shallow shore dive, in Nags Head. I wouldn't make a special trip to see it due to crazy conditions but would be worth it if you were vacationing there. The Eureka, 120' deep, off VA Beach may be of interest. Lynnhaven Dive Center runs charters to it. Both wrecks are late 19th Century, so not actual Civil War vintage. You can go to Kinston, NC and check out the CSS Neuse, recovered from the Neuse River Basin, preserved and on public display. The Mariner's Museum Monitor Exhibit is absolutely awesome, in Newport News, VA.

fireflock
10-28-2007, 14:58
There are a couple of neat Civil War era wreck dives in decent shape around the North Myrtle Beach era. The General Sherman was a blockade runner that now lies in around 50ft of water near the NC/SC border. In the same general area, but a little deeper (80 or so) is the 'Civil War Wreck' which was a Civil War era paddle wheeler. The id on this wreck isn't clear, but divers still find riffles and other artifacts on a regular basis.

Rich

jeepbrew
02-02-2008, 02:53
There are a couple of neat Civil War era wreck dives in decent shape around the North Myrtle Beach era. The General Sherman was a blockade runner that now lies in around 50ft of water near the NC/SC border. In the same general area, but a little deeper (80 or so) is the 'Civil War Wreck' which was a Civil War era paddle wheeler. The id on this wreck isn't clear, but divers still find riffles and other artifacts on a regular basis.

Rich

Thanks for posting this info... I have a buddy looking to dive a paddle wheeler. I will pass this along.

ChrisPrice
06-23-2009, 12:24
Civil War era wrecks are a blast to dive. Two very popular wrecks that are often visited from Myrtle Beach are the General Sherman & The Governor (which the true identity of is still unknown). If you'd like to keep current on Myrtle Beach dive trips, you're welcome to join my newly started Facebook group. The shortcut to group to our group is CarolinaWaterfront.net/scuba

We're diving the Sherman on Friday June 26 and the Governor on Sat, June 27.