PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reg and octo

wkerzendorf
09-15-2007, 22:22
Hello Im looking to buy a reg and an octo. I want to service them myself (I am a student, and poor :smiley2:) and I heard good thinks about the zeagle regulators. I was looking at the envoy deluxe and dont know which octo to take. Why are octos so much cheaper? I use a hoseless computer(aladin air z) I think that will work with any reg but I though it might be helpful.
thanks in advance
Wolfgang

ScubaToys Larry
09-16-2007, 06:30
Zeagle would be an excellent choice. We sell the rebuild kits, and even the service manual which gives you step by step instructions on service and adjustments.

I would add though, if purchased through an authorized dealer, if you get it rebuilt each year at an authorized dealer, the repair kits are free - and we do a full service to the 1st, 2nd and octo for just $49.95. With the free parts, that means if you did it yourself you're only saving about 20 bucks... and without a lot of the test bench equipment and special tools we have - you might not be able to do it as easily or set it up for maximum performance - but the option is there for you.

As far as the octo being cheaper - keep in mind when you look at the price of a regulator - it's the first and second stages. Octo is just the second. And if you get the same reg - say the envoy - the envoy second costs the same as an envoy octo. Just many people choose to do something like get an envoy plus second stage which is adjustable, and use just a stock envoy for the octo.

When someone is out of air, they are normally not that picky on what reg you give them... just so there is some air!

BobArnold8265
09-16-2007, 21:29
Considering you're talking about life supporting equipment, I think it's probably wiser to have your regs serviced by professionals who have equipment to do the job properly and can verify their results. An extra $20 or $30 is pretty cheap compared to the possible risk. Besides, there is also the consideration that you might be violating your warranty which might end up costing you more in the long run.