PDA

View Full Version : Online versus Classroom Instruction

TxFltMedic
04-25-2011, 09:00
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with PADI online instruction?

scubadiver888
04-25-2011, 11:04
I haven't used it as a student but my current shop uses it for all its Open Water classes. We have a link to www.padi.com on our website. So you are directed to PADI, you purchase the eLearning online then log into the eLearning website. You can always go back a review the lessons. They also have a quiz portion. You have something like 12 months to finish everything. Once you are finished you print out the results. It sends an email to our shop and someone arranges for you to come in for the pool session. During that time we check to see if you want to do the Open Water portion here or do you want a referral to somewhere warmer.

If you want to see a tutorial on what eLearning look like, go to PADI Tutorial Small (http://elearning.padi.com/paditutorial.htm).

brojack17
04-25-2011, 11:13
I haven't with PADI but I have taken some college classes online. It depends on what kind of a learner you are. Some people can read and get enough out of it. I would have been fine taking OW, AOW, and Rescue, but not DM. Getting live answers to some of the DM sections have been nice.

navyhmc
04-25-2011, 12:20
brojack nails the answer. It depends on what type of learner you are. Personally, I enjoy the live class atmosphere especially if the instructor is a good one - that part is somewhat hit or miss. If you do decide on an online course, go with the accredited course from an international recognized agency such as PADI, NAUI, SDI, etc. watch out for the fly-by-night groups (I can't recall the one that is shady at best-anyone?)

scubadiver888
04-25-2011, 12:29
I think know the one navy is referring to. The site claims to be able to certify you online, no practical/pool work. It is the only site I know of which gives out fake certifications, which no one honours.

You want to make sure that the site is REALLY a known agency. Someone could download all the PADI logos, create a site which looks like PADI's site but really isn't. You should be able to go to the main site for any reputable agency and find a link to the eLearning from there. Or you should be able to go to the reputable agency site, find a link to a certified training centre then sign up for the eLearning at the website for that training centre.

navyhmc
04-25-2011, 13:03
Totally true 888.
If you do want to do the online, first find the shop or instructor that you want to use (even if it's a openwater check out at a planned resort.) find out what agency they use and go through either that instructor's web site or through that agenices web site.

PADI: www.padi.com (http://www.padi.com)
NAUI: NAUI Worldwide Dive Safety Through Education (http://www.naui.org/)
SDI: International Training :: Home :: :: English (http://www.tdisdi.com/)
SSI: SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com (http://www.divessi.com/)
IANTD: IANTD IAND Rebreather Scuba Dive Training Agency Nitrox EANx Trimix Oxygen Cave Wreck IANDT decompression, scuba diver (http://www.iantd.com/) (I don't think they have an online course though) International Assoc of Nitrox and Technical Divers but they do have basic openwater scuba.

bfmorgan
04-25-2011, 15:34
Online learning can be as effective as a face-to-face class, if it is well designed. Brojack hit one of the most important criteria for success, learning style. The other challenge with elearning and diving courses is completion rate. If you take a face to face class, you know you have made a commitment that includes specific times and dates. It is easy in online learning to start and never finish. Most of the online learning programs are good at tracking progress and notifying your selected LDS that you are not progressing. The good LDS will try to motivate you and help you to reach completion.

vegas911diver
04-25-2011, 23:51
If you do decide on an online course, go with the accredited course from an international recognized agency such as PADI, NAUI, SDI, etc. watch out for the fly-by-night groups (I can't recall the one that is shady at best-anyone?)

I took this text from the latest edition of the Undersea Journal. For those that do not know, the undersea journal is a newsletter that PADI Professionals, DM and above,
receive.

Aquastrophics, USA. Please note that David Holt, Aquastrophics,
SDA (Scuba Divers of America) and OnlineScubaLessons.com
have never been PADI Members. Please also note that the academic
program offered by these three entities is not valid for PADI Open
Water Diver referrals or certification. (WRSTC Posting 3 Apr
2006: “At a recent meeting, the members of the Recreational Scuba
Training Council determined it was important to provide collective
clarification regarding agency-neutral on-line training programs.
Over the past two or three years a number of websites not affiliated
with a training agency have launched on-line scuba training
programs. On these sites, the customer is lead to believe that all
training agencies will accept these programs to meet their academic
requirements for scuba training. This is not correct. Because of
concerns about the educational validity of these programs and the
inability to monitor the quality of education and services, as well
as liability and insurance issues, each RSTC member organization
has independently determined it cannot accept these non-affiliated
training programs to meet its academic requirements. Before customers
check with the retail store, instructor or training agency, they wish
to receive certification through to verify if that on-line program is
acceptable for meeting the training agency’s requirements.”

I hope this helps!

navyhmc
04-26-2011, 06:08
Scuba Divers of America was the one that I had noted. They had even listed shops across the midwest that accepted their referrals, some of whom I had talked with and let them know that they were listed. To a shop, they requested to be removed from the listings and said they had never heard of theses guys before I let them know. A check this morning, shows taht at least one of them is still listed...

CaptainRon
04-28-2011, 17:29
If you want to try out on-line training, SSI offers their open water online course for free. Just go to their site, SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com (http://www.divessi.com) and register. Although I am already certified, I am going through it as a refresher before I start my advanced AOW. I think it makes a good refresher, but for someone just getting into diving, I think an actual classroom setting would be better.

TxFltMedic
05-01-2011, 17:02
Thanks for all the input and advice! I was specifically looking at the Rescue Diver course through PADI. I do enjoy the live classroom interaction as well, but would like to take the academic portion online at my convenience...

snagel
05-01-2011, 18:06
My wife used the PADI elearning for her open water and loved it. She could work at her pace. From what I seen it was very in depth, but I think you get out of it what you put in it. She was driven to learn everything. The big advantage for us is that we don't have a shop close so going to classes several nights a week wasn't really an option. She did have to call her instructor a couple times to clarify some things....especially during the tables portion of the test.

Once she was done and passed all the sections, her instructor required her to take a written test when she arrived for open water. I'm not sure if this is something that is always done or just something the instructor wanted. Kinda like making sure she learned the stuff and didn't rely on me or some other tool to help her when she done the online testing.

In general, it worked great for her, but as others have said if you really need the traditional classroom maybe it isn't for everybody. I can tell you that from what I seen on the online version if was pretty good.

Snagel

TxFltMedic
06-05-2011, 08:13
Well... Here is what I found out. I was wanting to do the Rescue Diver course. I paid for the online course and took it. It was well thought out, informative, followed the book exactly, but it was dry because of no interaction with others at all. There were checks on learning throughout the course and a chapter quiz at the end of each chapter that you must score a 100% on.

I went to my LDS and actually took the full classroom class as well. It definitely added to what I had learned during the on-line class.

I would agree with what others have said on the board... It totally depends on your learning style. I enjoyed the interaction in the classroom and wouldn't give that up again.

navyhmc
06-06-2011, 02:59
Thanks for the feed back TX, congrats on Rescue.

SEMO Scuba
06-06-2011, 09:10
I am in the middle of the PADI online Rescue class. This is my first online class, and it is quite a different experience. The instruction is good, but I would prefer a class taught in person.

Skred
06-06-2011, 10:27
During (http://www.During) that time we check to see if you want to do the Open Water portion here or do you want a referral to somewhere warmer.

Does your shop charge a referral fee if a student opts for the warmer climate?

SEMO Scuba
06-07-2011, 21:48
I am in the middle of the PADI online Rescue class. This is my first online class, and it is quite a different experience. The instruction is good, but I would prefer a class taught in person.

I am about half way through the e-learning portion. If I at least got a study guide or book I would be o.k. with the e-learning. But all I will have in two years from now is what I remember and my notes. I will wish I had a book.

snagel
06-08-2011, 06:16
I guess it once again boils down to the instructor. I've had the misfortune of having some fairly bad instructors. They were great with the hands on stuff, but the classroom stuff was terrible. Pretty much read through the material before the class, briefly go through the material in class, and take the tests together (except for open water). Pretty much a routine and not a learning experience.

I haven't done much online classes. I watched as the wife took her open water through the online course and she loved it because she could work at her pace and she didn't have to hassle with getting out and going to a class. I did take the Boaters Safety Course with my boy this last winter online and thought it was excellent.

Snagel