PDA

View Full Version : new car need some advice

bigman241
04-25-2011, 22:26
Ok I love my jeep, love the 4x4, love the jeep thing, but hate the mpg(12) and the ride down the highway.

With 4 buck a gallon gas I am thinking of selling the jeep and buying a nice new or slightly used car:smiley13:. I like style, but do not need the fasted highest price car, I know given my top choice it sounds like I want the highest price car, but not the case. I have narrowed it down to 3 maybe 4 cars and one motorcycle and would like some advice. I figure selling my jeep I can get about 17k with my upgrades and end up with 7k for a down payment(I owe 10k on it), plus my dad is getting a mortgage on our house in indiana and said he might be open to rolling my auto into the home loan so a lower rate anyway.

so here is my list the purchase price and what I end up financing with 7k down.

2010 chevy camaro v6 auto trans (22-25k) = 15-18k financed
2010 dodge challager v6 auto trans (25-27k)= 18-20k financed
2011 harley vrod 17000 new= financing 14k with taking 4k from the jeep for a older truck
or a 2008-2010 chrysler 300 with financing about 15k

any thoughts, I figure even with a higher payment the fact I double my mpg with any of these cars and will save 100-200 a month in gas

Lulubelle
04-25-2011, 22:34
My advice is to buy a car which you can buy outright. That will save you even more money. I do not believe in paying interest on depreciating assets.

bigman241
04-25-2011, 23:02
I do not disagree, I have been kicking my self since I traded my paid off 2007 chevy truck in on the jeep. one thought is keep my jeep and buy a older car that gets good mpg, that way I dont lose on the jeep and do not go any farther into debt. Maybe talk my dad into letting me get a semi new car roll the loan into the house so I do not have much to pay him and a small rate, which I can pay off quickly.

My advice is to buy a car which you can buy outright. That will save you even more money. I do not believe in paying interest on depreciating assets.

Diver Kat
04-26-2011, 00:13
But then you're paying insurance on two cars which would probably kill any gas savings you'd get from the 2nd car.

emclean
04-26-2011, 06:53
skip the bike for a primary transportation. you are not going to be able to use it around here year round, and there will be times in Fl as well that is isn't practical. as a second vehicle it could make since, but you will want to look at less expensive bikes.
you can get a used Honda Shadow, or Suzuki cruser for a lot less.

like lulubelle said, buy one outright, a used impala or malbu.

cool is nice, but it doesn't serve a real use. learn from the mistakes of others cool only ends up costing money.

Lulubelle
04-26-2011, 08:08
I do not disagree, I have been kicking my self since I traded my paid off 2007 chevy truck in on the jeep. one thought is keep my jeep and buy a older car that gets good mpg, that way I dont lose on the jeep and do not go any farther into debt. Maybe talk my dad into letting me get a semi new car roll the loan into the house so I do not have much to pay him and a small rate, which I can pay off quickly.
Keeping the jeep and paying interest and insurance while it continues to depreciate will not save you anything. Then you add another car which you will also be paying interest and insurance on while it too depreciates? Makes no sense. Sell the jeep and buy what you can afford to buy outright. Then you will save. I only financed one car and that was the one I got right after college. The rest were paid in cash. Again,financing depreciating assets is never a good idea.

TwistedSister209
04-26-2011, 09:12
I agree with my sister, Lulu!
Sell the Jeep--buy what you can pay for. No notes, not even from your father. Amazing how it feels not to have a car payment and a lower insurance rate. Do you do your own maintenance? That may help save if you can work on your own vehicle.

mitsuguy
04-26-2011, 09:47
First off, and this is mainly personal opinion, but also an opinion that is based on 10 years in the auto service industry, but, why don't you look into one of the mid sized imports... Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima/Maxima, etc... If you want something that will haul something like the Jeep but ride like a car, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Murano, Suzuki Gran Vitara, Toyota FJ Cruiser... With any of these, you can get something a little older that you don't have to worry about the warranty nearly as much as you will with the other options you have listed...

One other thing- you could always put the Jeep back to stock - My guess is that the tires/wheels and such is what caused your poor fuel mileage in the first place...

Straegen
04-26-2011, 09:54
Motorcycles are rarely cheaper to run than cars. The gas might be cheaper but the shortened maintenance cycles and tire cost will eat up any savings and then some. Plus a Harley isn't what I would call fuel efficient for a motorcycle. Motorcycles also cannot be used year round by most people and lack any kind of significant baggage capacity.

I would suggest not picking any of the cars you listed if gas cost/durability is a concern. Cars topping my list would be the CRZi or something practical like the Civic. Something with a 4 cylinder priced under 20k new.

If it were me, I would buy the best car 7k or so could buy and get out of the credit trap.

FishFood
04-26-2011, 09:59

Camaro/Challenger auto slushy?

Anyhow - What's the blue book on your jeep? Don't set yourself up for failure when 1) Any vehicle that gets poor fuel economy is taking a resale hit right now and 2) Generally, modifications add very little to resale.

Also, Im surprised youre not looking at vehicles more suited for hauling around dive gear?

mitsuguy
04-26-2011, 10:01
I would suggest not picking any of the cars you listed if gas cost/durability is a concern. Cars topping my list would be the CRZi or something practical like the Civic. Something with a 4 cylinder priced under 20k new.

If it were me, I would buy the best car 7k or so could buy and get out of the credit trap.

While I would typically agree, remember, he is a big guy and probably wouldn't be comfortable in those cars... Also, IIRC, he transports gear and such, and most smaller cars just aren't practical for that sort of thing...

I am also torn on buying a 7k used car unless he is mechanically inclined. Most people that purchase a used car end up spending a good amount on maintenance and repairs immediately, so, unless you can absorb some of that cost by doing it yourself, it may not make a whole lot of sense, aside from the obvious of not having a payment...

FishFood
04-26-2011, 10:06
$7k would be a pretty decent used car - I would *hope* mechanical issue would be limited (assuming he doesn't get another Chrysler product :smiley36: ). Or even a small 36month finance of $4-$6k would get into the 'pre-owned w/ warranty' category?

DiveHard
04-26-2011, 10:23
My GF owns an older Acura Integra paid for with loads of miles on it. Still runs very good. Got to love Honda. She recently spoke of selling/trade for something new. I asked her why? She could spend a little over a grand and drop another engine and get another 200,000 miles. When my chevy astro finally turns to junk I will be picking up an old Honda and dropping a new engine/trans in it and be happy for under $7000. Older CRV are going like gold. Plenty of room. And good on gas.

Defman
04-26-2011, 11:11
2011 harley vrod 17000 new= financing 14k with taking 4k from the jeep for a older truck

None of these sound very "scuba gear friendly" to me.....

Straegen
04-26-2011, 13:23
While I would typically agree, remember, he is a big guy and probably wouldn't be comfortable in those cars... Also, IIRC, he transports gear and such, and most smaller cars just aren't practical for that sort of thing... I wouldn't want to do a really long trip in either but both those listed can fit a big fellow (I know I have sat/drove both and I am not small). The point was get a 4cyl that has a good reliability rating. Jeep (I assume wrangler) aren't particularly roomy either so lots to choose from if you fit in a Wrangler. Now something like the Versa would be too small. Also anything with fold down seats is going to be fine for a couple divers space wise and a roof storage rack is a relatively cheap way to expand that storage.

I am also torn on buying a 7k used car unless he is mechanically inclined. Most people that purchase a used car end up spending a good amount on maintenance and repairs immediately, so, unless you can absorb some of that cost by doing it yourself, it may not make a whole lot of sense, aside from the obvious of not having a payment...Pick cars with great reliability ratings, check the VIN accident report and take it to a good mechanic before purchasing. That along with some common sense and it is unlikely a buyer will get burned. Used cars are a great value since a buyer skips the big 3 year depreciation and insurance rates are lower. If someone is uncomfortable driving one without a warranty, simply pick up a 3 year old car with transferable 5 year warranty instead of a 5+ year old one. At 7k the options are limited, but there are good deals to be had.

scubagirlj
04-26-2011, 16:05
Ok I love my jeep, love the 4x4, love the jeep thing, but hate the mpg(12) and the ride down the highway.

With 4 buck a gallon gas I am thinking of selling the jeep and buying a nice new or slightly used car:smiley13:. I like style, but do not need the fasted highest price car, I know given my top choice it sounds like I want the highest price car, but not the case. I have narrowed it down to 3 maybe 4 cars and one motorcycle and would like some advice. I figure selling my jeep I can get about 17k with my upgrades and end up with 7k for a down payment(I owe 10k on it), plus my dad is getting a mortgage on our house in indiana and said he might be open to rolling my auto into the home loan so a lower rate anyway.

so here is my list the purchase price and what I end up financing with 7k down.

any thoughts, I figure even with a higher payment the fact I double my mpg with any of these cars and will save 100-200 a month in gas

...muscle cars, with v-6's & auto trans?:smiley35: i'm a girl & wouldn't be caught dead driving either!!(and please, challenger...spell check is coming to indiana soon i hear!)

Defman
04-26-2011, 16:32
...muscle cars, with v-6's & auto trans?:smiley35: I'm a girl & wouldn't be caught dead driving either!!)

It just sounds wrong to me too, but.... The V6 in the Mustang (sorry, only one I'm familiar with) is good for 305HP & gets ~30 MPG. Someone is already making a supercharger for it, that would likely make a stock SS Camaro work overtime to beat it. Now, if Ford would just drop that engine into the new Explorer.... SOLD!!!!

For now, my modded Mazdaspeed3 will have to do.... ~325HP in a little hatchback is an S-load of fun!!! Although I find myself drooling over the Durango/Cherokee SRT's!!!

Smashee
04-26-2011, 16:54
? She could spend a little over a grand and drop another engine and get another 200,000 miles. When my chevy astro finally turns to junk I will be picking up an old Honda and dropping a new engine/trans in it and be happy for under $7000. Older CRV are going like gold. Plenty of room. And good on gas.

Gotta agree with this. Boring cars = reliable, cheap and economical. Parts are never an issue. Much rather have a 10-year-old HiLux or a Camry wagon for 1/5 of the price of a new SS or Commodore. More money in the pocket = more diving.

Straegen
04-26-2011, 18:06
It just sounds wrong to me too, but.... The V6 in the Mustang (sorry, only one I'm familiar with) is good for 305HP & gets ~30 MPG. Someone is already making a supercharger for it, that would likely make a stock SS Camaro work overtime to beat it. Now, if Ford would just drop that engine into the new Explorer.... SOLD!!!!30mpg HIGHWAY in real world isn't likely but I bet it is close. Big engines don't need much gas to keep rolling. Note the 19mpg city which again is probably a best case scenario figure closer to 17. In start and stop traffic this thing isn't much better than his current Jeep.

...muscle cars, with v-6's & auto trans?:smiley35: i'm a girl & wouldn't be caught dead driving either!!(and please, challenger...spell check is coming to indiana soon i hear!)Automatics are generally faster than sticks in all but the best drivers. The place a manual shines is in the curves but even that is dampened by ever improving quality auto-manual transmissions on newer cars or even better synchronized dog eared race transmissions. The standard H is a horrible shifting mechanism IMO. A short shift linear transmission such as a motorcycle is about as close to a clutching manual transmission as I want to get. Even then in a straight line or relatively straight course, it is hard to beat a properly tuned auto. Manuals are often more durable on the expensive parts though which is a plus.

smorneau
04-26-2011, 18:58
If you get the bike you can side mount your tanks!

sterlinghe92
04-26-2011, 18:59
you said you didn't really need a super fast car? You picked two very fast cars that probably get less than 20 MPG.

buy used

SEMO Scuba
04-26-2011, 20:16
Agree with Defman, none of those autos look scuba equipment friendly. A Jeep that is paid for is cheaper than a vehicle that you make payments on regardless of fuel mileage. A motorcycle is cool but a waste of money and not practical at all. A little sissy scooter may practical but not very useful.

scubatrucker
04-26-2011, 22:16
You're going to set yourself up for failure. Either keep the jeep and drive slower or buy better gas mileage beater and pay cash. Be smart. You can't build wealth by having a car payment for the rest of your life.

emclean
04-27-2011, 07:12
spell check is coming to indiana soon i hear!
there is something in the water that prevents Hoosiers from spelling correctly.

Grizbear98
04-27-2011, 09:34
I love my Hyundai Elantra, the new ones are sporty and get like 40 mpg. I bought mine new but I had a huge down payment, waited for it to go on sale, and financed it at an interest level of 2% during a large sale a few years back. If you want more horsepower check out the sonata they get great mpg and my dad bought his sonata used its got well over 200000 miles on it at this point and all he does is change the oil and parts when they wear out.

mitsuguy
04-27-2011, 14:59
you said you didn't really need a super fast car? You picked two very fast cars that probably get less than 20 MPG.

buy used

not sure I'd call domestivc V6's with slushboxes "very fast" :)

Straegen
04-28-2011, 09:50
not sure I'd call domestivc V6's with slushboxes "very fast" :)

It is a fast car if the 0-60 sub 6 seconds and 1/4 mile at 14 second stock times hold up. It isn't motorcycle fast or newer v8 fast, but it is faster than 90% plus of the new cars out there and competitive with V8s 10 plus years ago. With some tweaking I think the car could really get up there. Not bad from a car a person can rent for a weekend at a car rental place.

russp
04-29-2011, 16:08
The biggest thing to consider is with the amount of miles you drive, will the savings in gas money be enough to make up for the money you lay out for the car. Otherwise, keep what you got (or buy the bike just for fun). I ride a Victory Vegas but even at 42 miles per gallon, I'll never save $18,000 in gas money over my 20 mpg Ford Ranger.

Splitlip
04-30-2011, 16:34
Threw down on mine today.

A new Outback. 4 x 4 kinda. Features that were introduced in 2010 that I wanted, but alas no 2010's worth a damn that I could find.

Come Tuesday, I think Subaru will follow the same price structure and discount policies as the other Japanese auto manufacturers because of the tragedy in Japan. Other manufacturers I suspect will take advantage of that. The thing is road, dive and date worthy. Mileage is decent. I bought a middle of the road one. (for CASH L. :smiley20:) And, they say it can tow 2000 # with a tongue weight of 250? Sold my boat, but may tow a PWC, motorcycle trailer or whatever. They are putting a 2" hitch on it for me.

Smashee
04-30-2011, 16:57
Good choice, Split. Quite popular with divers over here. Plenty of room for gear & enough grunt to tow smaller boats.

Splitlip
04-30-2011, 17:09
Good choice, Split. Quite popular with divers over here. Plenty of room for gear & enough grunt to tow smaller boats.

Thanks! Kind of struggling with the pressure of world economics; I did not want to pull the trigger so quickly. I thought I did well on the deal, but your post will have me sleeping better. (I go through this every time I buy a new car :))
In my research I had seen they were pretty popular in Australia. I even went through the motions of kitting up under the open hatch.

chinacat46
04-30-2011, 17:25
Congrats Split. They are very popular here in CO as well but for getting you to the ski slope or the trail head. I own a 2003 Outback.

Splitlip
04-30-2011, 20:54
Yeah. In the 25 years I have been keeping a 4 X 4 here, I have never needed the 4 low.

The recent CVT tranny seems to have significantly improved mileage. The emissions are minimal and the Indiana factory is very green.

Splitlip
04-30-2011, 23:11
Yeah. In the 25 years I have been keeping a 4 X 4 here, I have never needed the 4 low.

The recent CVT tranny seems to have significantly improved mileage. The emissions are minimal and the Indiana factory is very green.

I still have my Wrangler, but this ain't bad for a Subaru (Forrester).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzDVlR5jW4Q&NR=1

IJS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dmroKnyM4&feature=related