PDA

View Full Version : First housing!!

Bring the Payne
09-15-2007, 22:54
Just as I thought I was done buying gear for a while I came across a housing I "had" to have for my Sony N1. Although I have no clue about taking underwater photos Im excited to learn.

Gear buying never ends does it? :smiley36:

FishFood
09-15-2007, 23:26
Congrats!

Do we get some more info about the housing? :D :D

Bring the Payne
09-15-2007, 23:33
Since you asked nicely I suppose I could give a little more info. :anim_kill:
Unfortunately it's nothing too exciting, I have a Sony DSC-N1 (8.1 mp) and bought the Sony mpk-na (why did my font change?? ) housing. Ordered it from Amazon for $139 and should see it here on Wednesday. It is rated leak-proof down to 132'. I realize it's not a cool set of twin strobes or something but it's my first step to learning a little UW photography! Now if next weekend would hurry up and get here I could put it to use!!

Bring the Payne
09-19-2007, 21:05
Yayyyy it came today! Two days and counting until I can use it...

Phestr
09-19-2007, 21:32
Take some pictures, and see how it does. You may have to get a strobe as your knowledge grows, but digital film is cheap, right? Trust me, among most of your friends, a poor picture of a cool marine animal is way cooler than a great picture of a dog.

Bring the Payne
09-19-2007, 21:56
Take some pictures, and see how it does. You may have to get a strobe as your knowledge grows, but digital film is cheap, right? Trust me, among most of your friends, a poor picture of a cool marine animal is way cooler than a great picture of a dog.

Im excited to try but I'll be the first to admit I have no clue as to what Im doing when it comes to U/W photography. Hopefully it will be a great learning experience and better pictures will come with time.

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 21:59
A housing is only the tip of the iceberg. Arms, strobes, filters all lie in your future !! But it's all well worth it !!!

Bring the Payne
09-19-2007, 22:02
Man...gear buying never ends does it?

bversteegh
09-21-2007, 02:16

Never:smiley20: Started uw photography in 2002. Have had three Oly's (4040 that was stolen, 5060, 7070); Fuji 810 (now my spare), and Canon 20D - thank god for ebay, I sold my Oly stuff for around 60% of what I paid for it; otherwise I'd be broke instead of just really poor:smiley2:

Once you succumb to DSLR (and if you get hooked on uw photography, eventually you will end up with a DSLR) - you can then spend tons of money on new lenses, ports for the lenses, really expensive (but cool looking:smiley29:) housings, bigger strobes. The good news is - a home equity loan IS tax deductable:smilie39::smilie39:

Aussie
09-21-2007, 03:11

Never:smiley20: Started uw photography in 2002. Have had three Oly's (4040 that was stolen, 5060, 7070); Fuji 810 (now my spare), and Canon 20D - thank god for ebay, I sold my Oly stuff for around 60% of what I paid for it; otherwise I'd be broke instead of just really poor:smiley2:

Once you succumb to DSLR (and if you get hooked on uw photography, eventually you will end up with a DSLR) - you can then spend tons of money on new lenses, ports for the lenses, really expensive (but cool looking:smiley29:) housings, bigger strobes. The good news is - a home equity loan IS tax deductable:smilie39::smilie39:

Same here. I have to thank my travel insurance company for updating my kit every year or two when something goes wrong (not my fault).

The spending doesnt end. You have to find ways for it to pay for itself or justify buying it (If I stop smoking and drink and wild women I can buy that DSLR).......its that simple:smilie39:

Aussie

FishFood
09-21-2007, 07:16

Im excited to try but I'll be the first to admit I have no clue as to what Im doing when it comes to U/W photography. Hopefully it will be a great learning experience and better pictures will come with time.

Here. Read Larry's write up:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/goodphotos.asp

Phestr
09-21-2007, 07:36
Yeah, def read this. It's one of the most straight forward write ups I've seen. Now if you want to get technical, take an Underwater Photography Course. PADI has it as a Specialty, and it's a great class. I learned alot about photography in general, and I've seen a great increase in my UW photo quality.

Bring the Payne
09-24-2007, 18:34
I'm happy to report I took a little over 120 pictures this weekend at the lake. Even though the vis wasn't great I absolutely loved having the camera underwater with me. The housing performed perfectly and is a little buoyant so when Im not holding the housing it doesnt drag on the bottom.

I wish I would have seen that link before I left this weekend! Oh well I will read it now and do better next time.

FishFood
09-24-2007, 18:38
Do we not get pictures?!?!?!? :D

Bring the Payne
09-24-2007, 19:13
Haha, yeah I will try and post some pictures a little later tonight or tomorrow when I have some more time.

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 19:46
The best way to learn is either take a class with someone that really knows what they are doing or read and trial and error. With the digital camera film is not an issue.
If you think the toy buying stops now you will probably find that you are wrong. I remember buying my video housing and thinking that I was done. Nope I had to have lights, arms, extra battery packs, etc. I don't even want to think about what I have in mine... and it's nothing fancy.

A buddy of mine asked me last year how much $$ I had in gear. I did a quick figured and came up someplace around $7,000. The sad part of it is that I bought a lot of that used or at one heck of a deal. I know of another G that I saved..at least.

Bring the Payne
09-24-2007, 20:42
Wow, you must have a pretty nice rig! As of now I don't have any plans on buying more gear but the first time I get into the ocean and a picture of something awesome comes out looking bad I may just change my tune real quick.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 21:22
Congrats on the new camera. Now all you need is a good editing program. Also nice to have a new computer to run it on as well. :D

I think that crpntr133 was saying that he has around 7G in total gear not just his photo rig. But I don't think it would be too hard to get 7G in a rig.

Bring the Payne
09-24-2007, 21:26
Congrats on the new camera. Now all you need is a good editing program. Also nice to have a new computer to run it on as well. :D

Thanks! Although the camera isn't new, just the housing. Fortunately I do graphic design and composition....so I have a few nice Mac's, 2 30 in Apple displays and all the software :smiley20: