PDA

View Full Version : Mt Storm Dive Conditions

WV Diver
04-28-2011, 16:30
Conditions as of Tuesday 26 April 11:

Mt. Storm dive conditions - Our first trip to the Storm this season to finish our Public Safety Diver Course. We had 2'-3' seas, water temps were 64*F down to about 30' with no noticeable thermocline and visibility in the 4'-5' range. Still a little chilly for wet diving but the dry suit made it plenty nice. The "seas" as I describe them, really were ocean like. Rolling waves coming in sets with surge that pounded the shore. I had never seen them quite like that at the Storm.

scubajane
04-28-2011, 16:50
thanks for the update!!! I hope to dive there soon....maybe I should wait about 10 degrees though.

WV Diver
05-14-2011, 18:37
I was there 11 May and the water temps were 70*F down to about 30' and the vis was about 6' to 8'. Things are looking up. We were going up there today but the forecast was 80% chance of thunderstorms and a high of 69*F so we opted out and rescheduled for next Saturday.

Some of our friends went anyway and turns out it was beautiful up there today.....stupid weather man. :O) They reported 72*F water temps.

scubajane
05-14-2011, 20:16
mount storm has it's own random weather.

WV Diver
05-21-2011, 20:26
Storm is going backwards. Today the water temperature was 68*F to 70*F at the surface and definitely 68*F at depth down to about 55'. The vis was bad due to lots of classes moving around. We did one dive after the classes packed up and left and the silt clouds were gone of course but it was still pretty dark and gloomy, even though the sun was out. I think Mother Nature is gong to have to start helping us out a little bit more than she has been. At least the water was calm.

scubajane
05-21-2011, 20:39
Thanks for the update i have been on call so
much its messing with my diving. Arrgh

WV Diver
05-25-2011, 17:18
Dove Mt. Storm today, water temperature was a balmy 74*F. These few warm days have made a big difference. :O)

scubajane
05-25-2011, 18:10
yay I hope to be able to dive there on memorial day....

Necklinsberg
05-31-2011, 06:22
Memorial Day Weekend Report -- surface temperature 73 - 75 F, main & computer platforms 75 - 77 F, 90 ft platform 70 F

scubajane
05-31-2011, 16:16
necklinsberg it was nice to see you at Mt Storm yesterday!!! it's always good to put a face to an avatar.

someone has been busy over the winter.... 4 ft flamingo near the computer platform... new concrete fern decoration where the microwave was... microwave has deteriorated quite a bit. we will probably take it out this summer. there are too many sharp edges on it. new cupid sitting and holding a frog on the north platform. oh a couple of super hero figurines...one on the motorcycle and one in the pumpkin tree... we fed zebra mussels to the catfish..... all in all a great day to dive!!!

Necklinsberg
06-03-2011, 21:14
Yeah, SJ -- good to meet you too.

We will be back there next weekend (6/11 & 6/12)

scubajane
07-31-2011, 16:00
sooooo does anyone know the current conditions at Mt Storm??? has it gotten too hot to dive??? it was 90 degrees at the surface when we were there a few weeks ago.....

Necklinsberg
08-02-2011, 10:13
92 F on the 23rd & 24th.

scubajane
08-02-2011, 18:46
WOW!!!! take a bar of soap and a towel..... that sounds like hot springs.....
Hey can we get a PADI cert for altitude and hot water diving>>>>>

WV Diver
08-06-2011, 09:11
For those who are unaware there is currently a dive by boat only restriction for Mt. Storm. I don't know a lot but what I have been able to ascertain from some of the folks I work with who are in the know and very reliable sources is that it seems that the ever present problems between boaters, swimmers and divers has escalated to a point that the owners of the lake and Mt. Storm power plant, Virginia Power and Electric Co. (VEPCO) have put a stop to all wading, swimming and shore diving until further notice.

While the details are fussy and few it would seem a group of folks were swimming in and around the boat launches and boaters were concerned that someone would get hurt during the launching and retrieval of boat traffic. I have seen swimmers in the boat launch area before first hand jumping from the floating loading/unloading platforms and generally enjoying the boat launch area for their swimming activities.

The boaters concerns are certainly appropriate and warranted and I think everyone would agree that the safety issues involved with having people in the water, and certainly in the boat launch area, during launching and recovery of boats is problematic and ever present. No one wants to see anyone get injured.

Of course the boat launch area is not and has not ever been designated for swimmers in any way and indeed swimmers should NOT be near the launch area at anytime.

So where do the divers fit into all of this? The answer is no one is exactly sure that any diver has been implicated in this current complaint but since swimming is an intricate aspect of diving and the fact that the shore diving entry area is close to boat launch it would appear that divers, in general, have been lumped into the category of swimmers.

As a result the boaters have complained that since they buy fishing and boating licenses they should have exclusive rights to the launch area and the lake. Managers of VEPCO have, as a result, put a stop to all wading, swimming and yes shore diving until further notice.

However I also know that VEPCO, the WVDNR, representatives of the boaters and other related parties are working toward a suitable conclusion for all those involved and that something will be decided. The time frame for this decision is being measured in weeks at the moment but all parties would like to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

The WVDNR does not own the lake, as many folks believe, they merely lease the boat launch, shore diving entry area and parking areas for the purpose of recreational activities. DNR law enforcement is currently patrolling the area and asking folks not to wade, swim or shore dive.

So unless you have a boat don't plan on diving Mt. Storm. As I find out more details I will post them for you but remember my summer schedule is very busy and I have little time to pursue this particular issue in detail. It is very likely that you will know information before I.

scubajane
09-27-2011, 19:54
Ok it's safe to dive there now.... any Idea what the conditions are??? like water temp and vis???