PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Gear Transporter

TxFltMedic
05-01-2011, 16:55
I am looking for a scuba gear transporter! My 11 y.o. just got certified :smiley20:, however she isn't so keen on carrying her gear /tanks for longer hikes to the boat / water. I have been looking for a cart / wagon / dolly that can handle gear for three divers... Any suggestions or thoughts on how you do it? Maybe I am lazy, but I like to think that I am saving my energy for better things. :smiley36:

brojack17
05-01-2011, 17:11
Most of the places I dive do not lend themselves to a cart. Too rocky. The cart would tip over too much. When my wife is gassed at the end of a dive, I will walk behind her and lift up on the bottom of her tank. That helps take the weight off her. I'm a mule. I can carry a large amount of weight for a very long time. That was really helpful when I was in the ARMY.

Davetowz
05-01-2011, 19:36
I thought that was why where getting our kids involved? To carry our stuff as we get older!!:)

DMWiz
05-01-2011, 20:12
I have been looking for a cart / wagon / dolly that can handle gear for three divers...

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/808679/808679100010lg.jpg

I've used this $20 folding hand truck (Lowes and Costco sell them) to carry doubles to a boat and I used to carry everything else on a rubbermaid tub. But I was only carrying one set of gear. One for each diver may do the trick?!? Rolling gear bags help too.

You may also consider buying your kid smaller tanks that are not as heavy to carry.

navyhmc
05-01-2011, 23:06
For starters: Congrats on your daughter being certified.

The Hand truck that DMWiz listed is good, but if you do go that route, spend a few more bucks and get the heavier duty one. The light wieght one has a 150 lb capacity, the heavy duty one is 250 lbs. It also holds up better on rougher ground.

Lastly, PTAaron posted a project he did 2 years ago using a 24 gal Stanley rolling tool box: http://forum.scubatoys.com/accessories-9/customized-stanley-rolling-scuba-gear-carrier-23807/ That may be your best bet unless you're doing rocky shores and/or sandy beach. If you like that one, scroll down, fisheater has his pictured and he put a tank holder on the top.

TxFltMedic
05-02-2011, 08:38
@navyhmc - thank for the comment and the link! It was definitely exciting to me that she wanted to get certified, and it was very rewarding to watch her put the effort in the academics and skills portion. She has definitely made me a better diver because she is a "rule-follower"! We dove this weekend and she looked at my log afterwards and called me out because I didn't put what thickness wetsuit I was wearing! LOL

The rolling tool-box is definitely an option... I think that we could probably get three sets of gear into two carts and strap the tanks on top. I'm looking forward to the day she can start diving doubles! :-)

Davetowz
05-02-2011, 19:08
I have switched to the stanley boxes and love them, I am going to have to do the tank mount mod to make them even better. I tend to roll with a lot of gear, so I try to park near my dive site if I can. Gotta have that dining fly with tarps for the cold windy day, and the coleman stove for coffee and hot chocolate.

TwistedSister209
05-02-2011, 20:14
I have the cart that DMWiz posted. I mounted a heavy duty plastic crate. Holds basics. Allowed water to drain as I walked from pool to car.
Will use plastic tub during check out dives this weekend, then look into the Stanley rolling car. Love the tank mount!

scubastud
05-02-2011, 20:28
I thought that was what divemasters were for :smiley36:

hey Tex, congrats to your daughter! My wife and stepson ill be getting cert real soon, almost got them all rigged.
Just don't show her the Atomic Colbat.. man that's one neat computer but owwy.. the price! (of course that's the one the kid wants)

snagel
05-02-2011, 20:33
I seen this advertised in Dive Training Magazine...don't know anything about it but thought I would throw it out.

www.smartgearusa.com (http://www.smartgearusa.com)

Snagel

diversteve
05-03-2011, 07:56
There's also a bigger Stanley Box at Home Depot: Stanley 37 in. Mobile Job Box - 037025H at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202300294&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202300294&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202300294&locStoreNum=477)

Here's both sizes with some dive customization: 9328 A friend hauls them all over SoCal.

DevilDiver
05-03-2011, 08:15
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ZHANGFEI4/WifeCarryingBeer.jpg

dawnvip
05-04-2011, 11:00
Go to Bali and get her!

WaScubaDude
05-04-2011, 12:10
Go to Bali and get her!

Wow! Just, Wow!

dawnvip
05-05-2011, 00:00
Those ladies in Bali were awesome. Some would carry one rig on their back and two more rigs on their head! Across the street, down the path and over the rocks to the beach... about 1/4 mile each way.
Some guy sat in a little shack counting how many rigs the ladies carried and they got paid accordingly. My hubbby felt bad for these little (some over 50 years old!) ladies carrying the gear and tried to do it himself, but we were told that if they did two trips, they made enough money for food for the day so we really couldn't say no after that.

Straegen
05-05-2011, 09:59
I am fortunate as my wife LIKES to carry gear or most heavy items we tote around. She pays for workouts so I suppose she looks at carrying stuff as a free workout.