PDA

View Full Version : Resume writing

FoxHound
05-05-2011, 19:51
SUCKS!

8 years in the military.....

Ive given them 8 years asked nothing, did what they asked, went where they told me, now I ask for one posting to a base that has openings for my trade.....but they cant seem to do it....contract is up in a few months and i am now job shopping haha

this is a very weird thing for me.....resume writing is tough!

BTW anyone know of a company looking for an experienced electronics technologist :smiley2: lol

PlatypusMan
05-05-2011, 20:29
Doesn't the Canadian military have someone tasked with helping transition people back to civilian life?

If so, I bet they can help with that resume stuff; if not, get the current copy of Bolles' What Color is Your Parachute for excellent basics on what to do and how to go about it.

As for electronics technologist work, how about contacting the firms that supply the stuff you work on while Active? Could they use someone already familiar with the product?

PPM

scubastud
05-05-2011, 21:00
I think maybe us. Whereabouts in Canada are you?
The company I work for likes hiring veterans.

scubadiver888
05-05-2011, 22:07
Just remember, the purpose of a resume is to get an interview, not a job. You want to give them enough to make them interested.

FoxHound
05-05-2011, 22:51
Doesn't the Canadian military have someone tasked with helping transition people back to civilian life?

If so, I bet they can help with that resume stuff; if not, get the current copy of Bolles' What Color is Your Parachute for excellent basics on what to do and how to go about it.

As for electronics technologist work, how about contacting the firms that supply the stuff you work on while Active? Could they use someone already familiar with the product?

PPM

Yes as a matter of fact we do have people that are SUPPOSED to help us.....i went into the office today, and they said I had just missed the 2nd career seminar, but heres a pamphlet.......the next seminar is next october......very helpful

And yes i do have some leads on companies that provide our equipment, raytheon/elcan canada, MMIST GPS guided parachute systems, and general dynamics canada.

More or less playing around with the idea......i love my job, but the new unit im working for is amazingly right out of er.

Im just outside of ottawa right now, looking to relocate though

Straegen
05-06-2011, 01:46
Resume writing isn't that bad but the circumstances that have a person writing one certainly can be. Best advice I can give you is to keep it brief preferably one page, format it so that it is easy to read, your experience should be the first thing a person notices and proofread, proofread, proofread. Mistakes on a resume are pretty much instant grounds for going into the garbage can. After reading a few thousand resumes, a clean well presented resume with no errors will likely get you a phone interview or better.

Once you have your foot in the door make sure you are prepared for a logic/vocab test. We do not hire anyone that cannot ace our ridiculously simple entrance test.

moosicman
05-06-2011, 04:21
I'm in the middle of putting resumes and cover letters together. I sent one away and received an application to fill out in response that further weeded out some folks (it took me 10 hrs. to complete). I'm equating the process to having to date again. I think I'd rather have a rectal exam.

scubastud
05-06-2011, 05:15
OK recolate where? I will ask if any openings, but Canada is a big place. Where do you want to live?

FoxHound
05-06-2011, 07:17
In all likelihood i will end up staying in the army and dealing with their **** just cause i like the job security and benifits lol, but the places that im looking at are right in ottawa, near toronto and barrie.

I appreciate the offer scubastud but don't worry about it, thank you though :)

I had my wife really go through my resume with a fine tooth comb, shes a business manager and sees them all the time, i just hate having to ask her for help (stubborn as she would call me!), I think I am good to go haha

hmm.....opp dive team....:D

emclean
05-06-2011, 07:26
BTW anyone know of a company looking for an experienced electronics technologist
i was a guided missile tech (tow, dragon, and shillelagh) in the army, and jumped to repairing medical equipment. one good thing about medical, is that the industry isn't going away, and there are always companies hiring.