PDA

View Full Version : Foldable or Rollup Pocket Snorkel

dludwig
09-16-2007, 11:25
Anyone have a opinion on Pocket snorkels?

Hemlon
09-16-2007, 11:37
What's a snorkel?

;)

chinacat46
09-16-2007, 12:01
I have a foldable one I used to keep in a BC pocket now I don't even bother. I normally bring a snorkel but it seems to just stay in the dive bag unless I'm teaching or snorkeling.

wxboy911
09-16-2007, 14:28
I saw one a few dives ago and it seemed like a good idea-It would be there in the BC pocket if you needed it and it would not be stuck to the side of my head not getting used! Its on my list of things to get for next season.

diversteve
09-16-2007, 15:31
I have the Sherwood Avid. Folds up nice and small and fits in my BC pocket with room left over. I've used it once since I bought it and it worked well enough although the corrugations in the tube cause it to breathe a little wet if you dunk the top.

Edit: I see from the post below that they're discontinued now.

WV Diver
09-16-2007, 15:36
These things are snorkels only in the academic sense. They are not what one would want to have if left by the boat and spending the night or a long day on the ocean.

CompuDude
09-16-2007, 18:15
The Sherwood Avid had what was probably the best portable snorkel design ever, from a portability standpoint, but those are hard to find now that they were discontinued some time ago. (If you try to buy the one linked above, you'll see it's no longer available)

I think the Oceanic Pocket Snorkel (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PocketSnorkel) is probably the best design made today, at least from the standpoint of actually using it as a snorkel.

Tilos (http://www.divesports.com/mall/tilos_msk_pocketsnorkel.asp) makes a roll up snorkel entirely out of silicon that is very inexpensive and very small in your pocket, but it's of marginal use as an actual snorkel.

Another good option is the Tusa Platina HyperDry snorkel (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Platinahyperdry), which is not only a GREAT snorkel, but it can actually be folded up (not that they advertise this). It's not technically designed to work that way, however, and I worry about hurting it over the long haul, so I would get the Oceanic one if I was planning to keep it primarily in my pocket, and the Tusa one if I was going to use it as a snorkel frequently, and would keep it in a pocket only occasionally.

For the record, I own each of the snorkels above (except the Avid, but I can appreciate a good design), and have used each extensively.

WV Diver
09-16-2007, 18:28
I have a Sherwood Avid, it may be the best of the snorkel wannabes but it is still just a piece of plastic/whatever having little real value. IMO

It looks cool but in a practical sense it is just so much junk. I am no snorkel expert and I haven't tried all of them out there. But I have seen and tried several and ended up going back to the basics and have never looked back. It would take some good convincing to sway me toward a portable snorkel.

But that's just me, if it works and serves ones purposes than it is good as gold.

Splitlip
09-16-2007, 20:32
These things are snorkels only in the academic sense. They are not what one would want to have if left by the boat and spending the night or a long day on the ocean.

This comes up often, and I am not sure I get it.

If I were left by the boat, I would want my head up scanning the horizon (been there).

WV Diver
09-17-2007, 06:34

If I were left by the boat, I would want my head up scanning the horizon (been there).Well sure you would, until the sun begins to fry your face like and egg or until something starts nudging your leg. It is important to save your energy and not get dehydrated and sun burned. Once your tank is out of air your snorkel becomes your best friend. A poratble snorkel with all their problems aren't worth it. They can leak, are easily lost, are hard to clear, often breathe wet and in rough seas can be a real hassel.

Let your emergency signaling equip. do the bulk of the work and use your ears to tell you when there is a plane or boat in the area. Then use your whistle, horn or flare. They will see your sausage, beacon or light long before they will see your arms waving like a maniac.

CompuDude
09-17-2007, 10:37
I have a Sherwood Avid, it may be the best of the snorkel wannabes but it is still just a piece of plastic/whatever having little real value. IMO

It looks cool but in a practical sense it is just so much junk. I am no snorkel expert and I haven't tried all of them out there. But I have seen and tried several and ended up going back to the basics and have never looked back. It would take some good convincing to sway me toward a portable snorkel.

But that's just me, if it works and serves ones purposes than it is good as gold.

If you have a black one, I'll buy it off you. Seriously.

I leave it in the pocket for an emergency only. 99% of the time, I don't want a snorkel on at all. But the Avid is very easy to store and deploy should I want one.

If I suspect I will want a serious snorkel, that's where the Tusa (a regular snorkel) or the Oceanic (barely a tiny bit worse than a normal snorkel) snorkels come in. Far better than any of the truely pocketable models we've discussed. Seriously, if you're considering one but are afraid of bad performance, try the Oceanic, it's a very decent snorkel. It or the Tusa are the only ones I would want in really rough seas... although to be honest, in really rough seas I generally don't want a snorkel in my mouth.

WV Diver
09-17-2007, 10:42

If you have a black one, I'll buy it off you. Seriously.

I leave it in the pocket for an emergency only. 99% of the time, I don't want a snorkel on at all. But the Avid is very easy to store and deploy should I want one.

If I suspect I will want a serious snorkel, that's where the Tusa (a regular snorkel) or the Oceanic (barely a tiny bit worse than a normal snorkel) snorkels come in. Far better than any of the truely pocketable models we've discussed. Seriously, if you're considering one but are afraid of bad performance, try the Oceanic, it's a very decent snorkel. It or the Tusa are the only ones I would want in really rough seas... although to be honest, in really rough seas I generally don't want a snorkel in my mouth.Well, I would like nothing more than to just give you this snorkel but unfortuantely it really belongs to work I couldn't let you have it. Sorry. It is a piece of equipment that was given to me and I am responsible for but it is not really mine. I never use it and it stays in the storage room all the time but still it is not mine to give.

BTW, I was unaware that these things are no longer made or avaliable for purchase.

ReefHound
09-17-2007, 11:23
Well sure you would, until the sun begins to fry your face like and egg or until something starts nudging your leg. It is important to save your energy and not get dehydrated and sun burned. Once your tank is out of air your snorkel becomes your best friend. A poratble snorkel with all their problems aren't worth it. They can leak, are easily lost, are hard to clear, often breathe wet and in rough seas can be a real hassel.

So we're out of air AND left by the boat? And surrounded by sharks, too?

If the sun is burning I can face the other way. If something nudges my leg I can hold my breath a few seconds to take a look. Although if it's a hungry shark I'm not sure exactly what good that is going to do.

I feel that the hazards on every dive from wearing a snorkel far outweigh the *extremely remote* possibility of being stranded at sea. I think the preparation effort is better used in selecting a charter that isn't going to leave you behind.

Splitlip
09-17-2007, 18:49

If I were left by the boat, I would want my head up scanning the horizon (been there).Well sure you would, until the sun begins to fry your face like and egg or until something starts nudging your leg. It is important to save your energy and not get dehydrated and sun burned. Once your tank is out of air your snorkel becomes your best friend. A poratble snorkel with all their problems aren't worth it. They can leak, are easily lost, are hard to clear, often breathe wet and in rough seas can be a real hassel.

Let your emergency signaling equip. do the bulk of the work and use your ears to tell you when there is a plane or boat in the area. Then use your whistle, horn or flare. They will see your sausage, beacon or light long before they will see your arms waving like a maniac.

Maybe it makes the case for a pocket snorkel I guess. These are worse case what if scenarios that I don't think justify the negatives that come from wearing a snorkel on your mask.
As for rough seas, my experience, that is the worst environment for snorkeling.

WV Diver
09-17-2007, 19:02

Maybe it makes the case for a pocket snorkel I guess. These are worse case what if scenarios that I don't think justify the negatives that come from wearing a snorkel on your mask.
Fair enough I'm just stating what works for me. As you can see I am an advocate of the full fledged snrokel. What works for you is probably what is best for you.

BTW did you ever get to put that cheese whiz in your buddies BC pocket?

Splitlip
09-17-2007, 19:29

BTW did you ever get to put that cheese whiz in your buddies BC pocket?

LOL, no, I keep forgetting it to buy some. I just now put it on my check list. I'm supposed to be in the Keys this weekend. SOMEBODY is getting cheese wiz in his pocket.

WV Diver
09-17-2007, 19:48
I have never done this is the open ocean, not sure what you may be getting into. Let me know how it goes.

Ok, no more hijacking of the thread.

Phestr
09-20-2007, 06:49
**Takes ahold of the thread, and pulls it back in line**

Another good option is the Tusa Platina HyperDry snorkel (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Platinahyperdry), which is not only a GREAT snorkel, but it can actually be folded up (not that they advertise this).

I also own this snorkel, and use it for snorkeling all the time. When I dive, I strap it under the bladder of my back-inflate, using a bungie cord. It's easy to get out, and since once it's out, I probably will use it til the dive is over, the fact that it's impossible to put back while wearing the BC isn't a factor. Since it costs roughly the same as the Oceanic, and I already own it and use it regularly, that was my solution (I also have no pockets :smiley13:). It does fold and unfold easily, but I wouldn't keep it like that indef.

ccarter
09-20-2007, 09:29
I got a black (Apollo brand I think?) snorkel last year to take with me to Bonaire since I thought there might be some surface swims with all the shore diving. I didn't really use it that much.. maybe on Hilma but it was nice to have for a few other occasions as well.

I can't stand having a snorkel dangling from my mask while diving.. but sometimes it's a good item to have.. long surface swims and such..

Charles R
09-20-2007, 09:41
What is this Snorkel thing you refer to? I gave my snorkel up after my classes I keep it only for classes it stays in my dive bag.

Tod
09-20-2007, 13:39
I think the Oceanic Pocket Snorkel (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PocketSnorkel) is probably the best design made today, at least from the standpoint of actually using it as a snorkel.

I'll second this. While mine normally rides through the entire dive trip on the boat (in my gear bag) I can stuff it in my drysuit thigh pocket if I feel there's a chance I may have a post-dive surface swim. The snorkel itself doesn't have one of those mickymouse flaps that only closes when you inhail too fast. I leave the little velcro tab on the mask and can easily attach it (assuming I have it with me) when necessary.

Venio
09-23-2007, 01:47
I have the Aqualung Snap, which is pretty good for a pocket snorkel. I takes barley any space, as big as a hockey puck and it's OK in case one needs it to swim with.

Bill22
09-23-2007, 05:28

Thats nice to hear since I just ordered one last week. I use a snorkel all the time for beach entries since we have a pretty good swim out on the surface (and sometimes back too :-)). However when I travel, I'm doing mostly boat dives and don't feel the need for a snorkel. I'm also going to be doing some wreck diving on my next trip and want to keep everything streamlined.

plot
09-23-2007, 13:01
I tried one and it sucked for actually snorkeling, but if you want to keep one in your BC pocket in case you ever actually need it then it's a good idea.

Bill22
09-23-2007, 17:49
I tried one and it sucked for actually snorkeling, but if you want to keep one in your BC pocket in case you ever actually need it then it's a good idea.

It's going to be a backup when I'm diving off a boat, which means it will most likely stay in my pocket. If I'm doing a beach entry and have a swim to make then I'll use my regular snorkel which is a "Genesis Scuba Surf Snorkel". No complaints on that one. I use it all the time :-)

tedtim
09-23-2007, 19:04
I have one that I carry only when I am a DM on a course. I had to use it once when one of the students came up early and was drifting down stream away from the boat. It worked without problem.

Otherwise, it stays folded in the holder where it belongs.