PDA

View Full Version : might lose some diving this summer

bigman241
05-18-2011, 23:37
I went to the doc today, he thinks I tore my cartilage in my knee, I am going for a mri tomorrow. I know before he said since they cleaned it up once, if I messed it up again I would be looking at them replacing it. Not sure how long I would be done, but I can guess atleast a month or two before I can dive, given I will likely be in florida this fall I am going to op for any surgery NOW better loose the time of fresh water quarry diving vs ocean diving in the keys

Vercingetorix
05-19-2011, 06:31
How did you mess-up your knees? Sports or on the job?

TwistedSister209
05-19-2011, 06:47
Sorry, Biggie--
Did the car wreck have anything to do with it?
I'm getting fitted for braces for both knees so I can continue diving.

bigman241
05-19-2011, 06:56
yeap, doc says it was the cause of it, kind of figured since I went from being ok on it, to it killing me the morning after the wreck. I will make sure I tell the insurance company " you owe me for a summer of diving" which is PRICELESS
Sorry, Biggie--
Did the car wreck have anything to do with it?
I'm getting fitted for braces for both knees so I can continue diving.

joer606
05-19-2011, 08:36
Nope. chasein them bad girls probly did it. lol :-)

bfmorgan
05-19-2011, 09:42
I am sorry to hear that you may need surgery and may well lose some diving time this summer. But you plan is a good one, get the surgery done now and by fall you will be ready to go.

bigman241
05-19-2011, 10:19
I hope, I see no reason to trade ocean time for dark cold indiana lake time. LOl

buddha0724
05-19-2011, 11:18
Sorry to hear about the knee.

If you can make do without surgery I would say wait a bit. I have hade 6 surgeries on my right knee and 2 on my left knee. They are both at the point that doing the routine cleanup does more harm than good. I go every 6 months and get synvisc in my left and cortisone in my right. Trying to prolong them until they are totally shot. What I was told was a knee replacement has a standard life cycle and with me being young I will feel so good after surgery and rehab I will be very active again and wear that knee out sooner.

Bottom line I was told to lose weight. That would help out.

Take care of those knees. They are a pain when bad.

Straegen
05-19-2011, 18:03
Many knee and shoulder surgeries especially with full or partial replacements tend to need lifetime surgical attention. I have a jacked up right knee and shoulder with no plans of getting either corrected until I am truly debilitated by them. Surgeons are simply too quick to cut in many cases. Hopefully you will only need a scope which is usually worth having.

Now my ankle... that is getting taken care of over the winter as it has detached ligaments. Still walking and diving on it though.

Also, depending on the type of surgery you could easily be out of diving commission for 2+ months.

bigman241
05-19-2011, 22:29
Ya I do not want a knee replacement, my doc is against it, due to my age and weight. A scope which is what they did before I might think about, hopefully the talk of surgery will push the insurance to settle quickly. I hope anyway

DivingCRNA
05-19-2011, 22:36
Dude, I know you had a car accident and that contributed to this incident, but unless you want new knees at 45, you gotta drop around 120 pounds.

Everything has been fine up until now with being a "Big Guy", but you are creeping up on the age where the parts wear out, hypertension and diabetes take hold, the knees and ankles go from carrying the burden and you wonder what the hell happened to the active young guy chasing chicks.

Get it fixed now and get busy losing weight so you can live how you want to live. Or you could miss a lot more diving.

I say this as a friend.

bigman241
05-20-2011, 05:44
ohh I agree, been doing good lately, I lost 12 in april, gained 2 early may, lost 1 pound last week, I have a pretty 18 year old hanging with me for motivation :smiley36:
Dude, I know you had a car accident and that contributed to this incident, but unless you want new knees at 45, you gotta drop around 120 pounds.

Everything has been fine up until now with being a "Big Guy", but you are creeping up on the age where the parts wear out, hypertension and diabetes take hold, the knees and ankles go from carrying the burden and you wonder what the hell happened to the active young guy chasing chicks.

Get it fixed now and get busy losing weight so you can live how you want to live. Or you could miss a lot more diving.

I say this as a friend.

DivingCRNA
05-20-2011, 14:54
ohh I agree, been doing good lately, I lost 12 in april, gained 2 early may, lost 1 pound last week, I have a pretty 18 year old hanging with me for motivation :smiley36:

Good for you!

bigman241
05-20-2011, 16:37
well just got a message on my phone from my doctor, and drum roll, guess what I torn the cartilage in my knee:smiley5:, sure could be worst, but they are already setting up for a surgern, so I am guessing I will be getting it done in ohh say late may or june, so no diving till aug I am guessing.

Sucks to, cause my mom and brother are in florida, my dad is going down soon, and I will be here alone, SUCKS, mmmm can I get compensated for lost of diving time.